PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breadmaking - recipes, hints, tips, questions

Comments

• Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If you're willing to spend that amount of money on a breadmaker I'd seriously advise you to go for the Panasonic one! The SD-252, I think it is, without the nut dispenser is only a few pounds more than that and the difference in quality and taste if bread is astounding! My previous model was a Breville, which does make very good bread, but my Panasonic beats it hands down ;)

I never owned a bread maker before but reading all the comments on here is what tempted me!! :o I was wondering why you suggest to get one without a nut dispenser? :confused:
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Jo4 wrote:
    I never owned a bread maker before but reading all the comments on here is what tempted me!! :o I was wondering why you suggest to get one without a nut dispenser? :confused:

It was purely for cost reasons as that model is closest in price to the one suggested. The SD-253 has the automatic nut dispenser but costs a little more, but I think if you're going to spend that much money anyway then why not get the one with all the whistles and bells, I certainly did ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• bugs
    bugs Posts: 184 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I’d love to know if anybody tries the above recipe, because I haven't yet!

megaxx

I'll give it a bash this weekend or sooner, MS, and will certainly let you know. Have to have a look out for that book too. Cheers for taking the time to write up the recipe, much appreciated!
    It is not the greatness of a man's means that makes him independent, so much as the smallness of his wants. (William Cobbett)
  • Jo4
    It was purely for cost reasons as that model is closest in price to the one suggested. The SD-253 has the automatic nut dispenser but costs a little more, but I think if you're going to spend that much money anyway then why not get the one with all the whistles and bells, I certainly did ;)

Thanks for taking the time to respond and for your valued opinion! I will see how I get on with this one and then I might try yours to see the difference. Then I suppose I could ebay it and get something for it rather than nothing.
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    This is tried and tested by me, an oven-finished machine dough recipe. It dries fairly quickly, so I always slice and freeze it the morning after making it. Makes lovely tasty toast! It's a slight adaption of the "Laurel's Kitchen" recipe I mentioned the other day.

Mainly Wholewheat Bread

(1 ½ pound loaf)

1 ½ tablespoons honey (or the same of Demerara sugar)
    1 cup + 2 tablespoons water
    2 tablespoons butter or oil
    2 cups whole-wheat strong bread flour
    1 cup white strong bread flour
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 ½ teaspoons yeast
    Any combination of seeds (I have used handfuls of sunflower, pumpkin and sprinklings of poppy seeds)

Fill the bread pan with hot tap water to pre-warm, while you prepare the ingredients.

Measure the water and honey (or sugar) into a saucepan and warm through. Add the oil to this, if using oil (if using butter, add that later).

When the water is warm, empty the pre-warming bread pan of water and pour your water and honey mixture in instead. Add the flour, salt and yeast, and if using butter rather than oil, add the butter to the four corners of the flour mixture. Add the seeds if you’re using them.

Set the machine to dough-only. Once it’s underway, lightly brush with butter the inside of your loaf tin.

The dough should be firm, so add more flour if you feel the dough is too soggy at any point. Feel free to check the dough by prodding throughout the kneading stage.

When the dough cycle has finished, turn out the dough onto a floured board and press all the air out of it. Form it into a rectangle, portrait as you look at it. Fold the far end towards the middle, then the end nearest you to the middle also. Place this dough shape into your loaf tin, with the folded ends underneath. Lightly press your fingertips around the sides of the dough so that the loaf is slightly higher at this stage in the middle than around the edges.

Place a damp tea towel over the tin (I sometimes use a dry one, and still seems okay!), and place somewhere warm to rise.

At this point, heat the oven to 180 degrees C, placing a shelf in the middle of the oven.

Check the dough after about half an hour. Sometimes it doesn’t need much longer to rise. It is ready to go into the oven when the dough has risen above the top of the tin. How much is up to you, but if it rises too high it may collapse. Mine has got quite high without collapsing.

When ready, place in the hot oven, gently, to avoid the dough collapsing.

After 30 minutes, take the loaf out of the tin and knock the underside. If the sound is clear and hollow, the bread is ready. If the sound is more of a dull thud, pop back into the oven and reduce the temperature by 30 degrees C. and check every ten minutes.

You may wish to wrap the loaf in a clean tea towel whilst it cools, to give a softer crust. Don’t slice until cold!
  • Jo4
    How do you get even slices and how do you store the bread? I am sure yous experts can answer this quite easily!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I've found that the less you press with the knife as you cut the more likely it is to stay even. That and paying attention, of course :)

Edit: pressing down can distort the loaf so you can't cut it straight 'cos it's bent already :) Also the less you press the less distance you're likely to go off line and the easier it'll be to correct.

Freezing is the usual method of keeping such breads. Wrap slices in one's or two's depending on how many slices you most often have. About thirty seconds on defrost in a microwave usually does the trick, or put them direct from frozen into the toaster.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Jo4

I always slice and freeze the bread in a freezer bag the morning after baking (or that evening if it's been made during the morning). I find that a couple of slices taken out of the freezer when I get up in the morning is thawed enough to use for sandwiches by the time I've showered, dried my hair and had breakfast, so I don't even use the microwave to defrost it (I'm terrible at that, I always overdo it!). In fact, sometimes I butter it whilst it's still frozen. Much easier that way if the butter's a bit hard, as the bread won't rip!

Regular slices, well, I always use a proper bread knife, and, as Squeaky says, not too much pressure, just long back and forth strokes. I don't slice too quickly, end I just keep looking at the far side of the loaf to check the knife blade is at the same thickness as it is on the side closest to me. I have no trouble with it now.

Always wait until bread is totally cool before slicing, otherwise the middle will tend to squish itself under the pressure of the knife!
  • aurorahelios
    aurorahelios Posts: 376 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I tried that ciabatta recipe a while ago my experience was that it was a really nice light bread although I didn't really think it tasted like authentic ciabatta - but that could have just been my cooking- I'm not very good at following recipes!
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm hopeless at slicing bread. OH got so fed up with having to straighten the loaf up after me that he went on the hunt for some kind of slicing aid. We now have an Evenslice from Lakeland.

We managed to get a used one from Ebay, but to be honest would have paid full price given the mess I was making! You can select differing thicknesses (OH likes doorstop chunks to go with his lemon curd) and the loaves are lasting slightly longer (no chance of home made bread going off in our house :D)
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport