PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Vegan and vegetarian food on the cheap

Comments

• Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Ted, I find it unlikely that the difficulty you had in finding animals to graze your land was due to mass vegetarianism. More likely it was due to the vast intensive farming we still have in this country, and the fact that a lot of the meat "products" people buy contains cheap, intensively reared meat, often from abroad. So I think in part you have to blame a lot of meat eaters for that situation, as they are not all demanding the high quality meat that free range and organic farming provides, but instead mindlessly buying the junk that supermarkets offer them as "meat".

I have friends who will only eat meat if it is organic, and will go without the rest of the time. That way, they know that the animal HAS lived a good life, and that the resulting product is of high quality, not ruined with chemicals and antibiotics. I'd support them in that, and if I were to eat meat, I'd make that choice, too.

However, I've been vegetarian for 14 years now, since I was 14. I don't eat fish (just to be pedantic, vegetarians DON'T eat fish. Those who say they are, and do, simply aren't vegetarian ;) I made the change as a feisty teenager because I couldn't bear the though of other creatures dying for me to eat, when there were alternatives. That has just become ingrained as my way of life now, though I never preach to others that they should feel the same way, and am not concerned that my boyfriend eats meat and fish around me, or cooks it in my house.

My brain is okay (though some days I question that!), but I do take supplements to assist what I consider is my very good diet. I have taken Omega 3-6-9 veggie capsules for quite some time, but have just found vegetarian DHA, which I think is probably even better, from Healthspan, and will be taking that. It's from the algae that the fish each, and which in turn makes them such a good source of DHA. And only a little DHA is converted from the linseed sources of Omega-3. I also take a multi vitamin and mineral, and selenium, which most meat eaters are deficient in, too.

I eat beans and pulses to ensure protein, as well as local eggs, quorn, tofu (I'm TRYING to make it tasty!) and TVP.

Back to the original question...I use both soya mince and soya chunks, from my local health food shop. Very cheap (about £1.18 for a large bag that will last many meals). I get the seasoned stuff, though it's not very seasoned at all, and I soak it in vegetable stock with marmite, black pepper, paprika, herbs, soy sauce and anything else I can throw at it! Works well, the mince for spag bol and chilli, the chunks for beef-style curries.

Ted, the fact that I like meat-style dishes is probably due to having been brought up on meat, but I don't take it as an indication that I'd just as well eat the real thing! It's just against my nature now.

I'm well aware of the fact that my actions have impact on others ;) , and I choose my actions carefully, which I why I only use biodegradable cleaning products, buy from small, local suppliers wherever possible, buy other fair trade goods, don't drive a car, avoid using the large supermarkets, don't fly, don't accept carrier bags in shops, re-cycle everything possible, buy many items second hand rather than new...etc etc...so I think I'm doing my bit for the greater good! :D

Anna
  • blossom30
    blossom30 Posts: 691 Forumite
    I make a great cheese and potato pie and top it with baked beans, just mash potatoes as normal put enough for the people you're serving into a casserole dish grate red cheese on top and stick in oven for however long it takes to melt the cheese and heat up some beans and throw over and serve ...yummy!!!!!
  • jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks. Some lovely ideas on this thread! :)
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Luis wrote:
    My Granny used to make a gorgeous shepherd's pie using TVP (textured vegetable protein). The key is in the flavourings added - coriander, oregano, tomato, veggie stock cube etc.

You basically soak it, then use it as normal mince, Granny used to flavour it with herbs, spices, veg, even tomato ketchup.

Does anyone know where you buy TVP from ( and cheaply)?? thanks
  • Flimber
    Flimber Posts: 736 Forumite
    Jolaaled wrote:
    Does anyone know where you buy TVP from ( and cheaply)?? thanks

Holland & Barrett !
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Can you buy any TVP type thing that's more "chickeny" than "beefy"? (More like quorn pieces)...if that makes sense to anyone?
  • jaimeo
    jaimeo Posts: 94 Forumite
    This might have been mentioned before, as I skipped from page 1 to 4...but if you want to make a cheese sauce, or white sauce for a lasagne and dont want it too fatty or carby from the flour, try blending 1 cup of cottage cheese, one small egg, a bit of pepper and a small amount of low-fat extra mature cheddar.

Its quite good for you, and it takes about 2 mins to make!

J
    Err, I'll get back to you about the funny signature
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    crana999 wrote:
    Can you buy any TVP type thing that's more "chickeny" than "beefy"? (More like quorn pieces)...if that makes sense to anyone?

You get light tvp and dark tvp - I usually only buy the light because it is more versatile (you can make it dark using gravy for example - bisto powder is veggie)

You can also get flavoured tvp ' chicken style' and 'beef style' although I prefer to get unflavoured as it then takes on the flavour of what you want it to.

HTH
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Handy! Thanks, I'll go and have a look.
  • Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Loadsabob wrote:
    However, I've been vegetarian for 14 years now, since I was 14. I don't eat fish (just to be pedantic, vegetarians DON'T eat fish. Those who say they are, and do, simply aren't vegetarian ;) I made the change as a feisty teenager because I couldn't bear the though of other creatures dying for me to eat, when there were alternatives. That has just become ingrained as my way of life now, though I never preach to others that they should feel the same way, and am not concerned that my boyfriend eats meat and fish around me, or cooks it in my house.

Anna

I don't happen to be your twin am I....... :confused:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills