PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Easy, cheap Vegetarian recipes?

Comments

• Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I tried the 'quick korma', and end result was nothing special! Not sure I like chickpeas as the main ingredient. Another one of those recipes which seems a lot of hassle to find ingredients, makes a lot of mess preparing and cooking it, then doesnt end up all that great. I'd be interested if anyone else has tried it? its a proper one from the veggie society!!

This is my recipe for Korma - posted it the other day on Weezl's challenge thread:

The korma really doesn't sound much... it has to be tried to be believed ;):D This serves me and hubby - it would probs stretch to four if you have rice as well as naans with it.

1 tbsp butter
    1 tbsp curry paste (I know it sounds an extravagance but it lasts aaaaaages)
    2 tbsp plain flour
    2 heaped tbsp dry milk
    125ml cold water; 175ml boiling water from the kettle
    1/2 a chicken stock cube
    1 tbsp apricot jam (or mango chutney if not feeling so thrifty!)

Melt the butter with the curry paste in a saucepan. Meanwhile, I dissolve the milk powder in the cold water. Stir the hot water and stock cube into the milk. Stir the flour into the butter and cook for a good couple of minutes. Gradually add the liquid, stirring well, to create a sauce. Stir and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring in the jam too.

I was also saying on a different thread that my local takeaway's vegie korma is a delish mix of sliced carrot, cubed potato, okra and white cabbage. I'd cook these in a pan of boiling water first (about 10 mins til tender) just while you make the korma sauce, then drain and stir into the sauce.

HTH.x.
    Love and compassion to all x
  • Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Chell wrote: »

[FONT=&quot]I am going to make the vegetable crumble from this link later in the week.[/FONT]

We had this for the second time tonight, it is really nice. I found it a little lacking in colour when made to the recipe. Tonight I added a little frozen sweetcorn/peas and red pepper.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • this is how my attempt at the korma (i posted previously) recipe turned out, its not bad but i think the sauce maybe needs a bit more substance

2mycfw2.jpg
  • boodle,
    your recipe included:
    1/2 a chicken stock cube
    are these veggie like a lot of crisps are or should i substitute it for a veg stock cube!?
  • Boodle
    Boodle Posts: 1,050
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    boodle,
    your recipe included:
    1/2 a chicken stock cube
    are these veggie like a lot of crisps are or should i substitute it for a veg stock cube!?

Yikes! Sorry about that! :o I would go for veggie ones ;)
    Love and compassion to all x
  • forgot about this thread, there's some great recipies, the potato/bean pie looks amazing!

here's a recipie for huevos rancheros, which is basically a jazzed up version of egg on toast, you need -

2 slices of bread
    2 eggs
    tin of refried beans
    salsa
    grated cheese
    sour cream

fry the eggs, toast the bread and spread with the refried beans and salsa. when the eggs are cooked place one on each slice of toast, cover with the cheese and drizzle sour cream over the top.

you can also do a wrap version of this by using tortillas instead of bread and scrambling the eggs, although i find this a bit too runny for my liking!

i also found this recipie which i intend to cook for a friend as it looks amazing, so i thought i'd post it on here too - http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/welsh-rabbit-rarebit-with-sage-and-onions,1373,RC.html
  • Now this is a nice one I have personally made and enjoyed, again its from 'Meat free made easy' by The Vegetarian Society:

Super Spag Bol (serves 4, 10 mins prep, 25 mins cook)

You need:
    - 2 tbsp veg oil
    - 1 onion peeled and chopped
    - 1 red pepper, seeds removed and chopped
    - 1 aubergine chopped
    - 1 packet frozen vegetarian mince (i prefer realeat over quorn)
    - 1 jar red or green pesto (i used the sacla tomato one)
    - 2 tbsp tomato puree
    - 2 tsp yeast extract (marmite i believe)
    - 1/2 packet dried spaghetti

Step one:
    Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Fry the onion, red pepper and aubergine for about 10 mins, stirring frequently, for about 10 mins until reduced in size and softened. Add the mince and cook a further 3 mins.

Step two:
    Add the jar of pesto and 1 1/2 cups of water. Cover and cook for 20 mins or until liquid has absorbed.

Step three:
    Add tomato puree, yeast extract and black pepper (to taste- i didnt bother). Serve with spaghetti cooked according to packet.

I think this recipe came out nice even before step three, not sure theres any need to add tomato puree and marmite! If anyone tries it let us know you got on!
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hmmmm...that bolognaise recipe could be worth a try. As you say - a bit overkill possibly with tomato puree and marmite - as well as the pesto. Personally - I would chuck in a couple of cloves of garlic (chopped up) at the onion-frying stage and maybe just a couple of teaspoons of tomato puree and 1 teaspoon of marmite. I have found sometimes that there has been a typing error in the writing-out of a recipe - and they miss out an ingredient (or what to do with it). Sometimes they say Tablespoon - when they mean Teaspoon. This could be one of those occasions - so I think possibly they mean teaspoons here. Suspect this could be a 1960s recipe - that has been brought "up to date" by adding the aubergine and red pepper in the 1970s and the pesto now. 1960s vegetarian recipes positively majored in using tomato puree and marmite for flavouring - as there wasnt a lot else available to us back then. Flavourings back then for us were basically just salt and pepper, tomato puree, marmite, dried mixed herbs, mustard, curry powder - that was yer lot:cool:
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Satay spaghetti
    2 tbsp veg oil
    1 med sized onion finely chopped
    1-2 tbsp curry powder [we use 1]
    3 tbps peanut butter
    2 tsp tomato puree
    small strip of lemon rind
    1/2 pt veg stock
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/2-3/4 lb spaghetti

Heat oil. Add chopped onion and fry until just beginning to turn golden; Stir in curry powder and fry for a few seconds. Add peanut butter, puree, lemon rind, stock and seasoning. Bring to boil, stirring constantly, cover and simmer for about 15 mins. Remove lemon rind.
    Meanwhile cook spaghetti and then mix sauce with it. The original recipe suggested serving this with burgers but we steam veggies over the pasta and then mix them in with the sauce.

I'm not veggie but I enjoy this on a meat free day which we have 2-3 times a week.
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • Ceri,
    Thanks a lot for your post it was very informative! I never knew that, I know little about the history of food. You were right it was a typo, on my part! I've edited it now. Didn't realise you only had limited flavourings back then, in a way it's nice to keep things simple, I just get totally lost with the amount of ingredients available now. I need some sort of guidance and thought processes to limit things, think thats my problem with confidence, I dont know what to put with what and how to do the simple things.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure