Cheapest Home Phones Discussion

in Phones & TV
276 replies 49.2K views

Replies

• This is my experience. I was formerly with ntl for Broadband and telephone and Sky+ for television. ntl bills (after it was taken over by Virgin Media) had risen to between £45 and £55 per month and Sky was £37 per month.
    Last December I phoned Sky and cancelled the channels I don't watch. This reduced the Sky bill to £22. In January I had the BT line re-activated at a cost of £125 + £11 line rental. Then in February I switched to Sky Broadband and telephone, agreeing to pay £5 per month extra for the 8Mb download speed and £5 per month for Sky Talk Unlimited which gives unlimited calls to UK landlines any time of the day or night, 25% cheaper calls to UK mobiles (compared with BT Together Option 1 and unlimited calls to 10 international destinations - I believe this has now risen to 20 international destinations. Sky then took over the line rental which went down from £11.50 to £10. I had a letter from BT which (in small print) said I might have to pay a penalty charge for cancelling before I'd been with them for a year, but I missed that. Then I got a bill from BT for £70 penalty. I phoned Sky and was told I could keep the line rental with BT. I spent 3 hours trying to phone BT, hanging on for ages, then being told to ring another number (typical of all my dealings with them). So I e-mailed to say I preferred to pay them the £11.50 per month for 10 more months than £70 penalty. The reply came that the line was already cut off so I would have to pay to have it re-activated - £125 again? - and also pay the £70. I decided it was worth £70 to be shot of BT and paid it.
    My total monthly bill should now be £22+£10+£5+£5 = £42, a saving of £45 per month, so I'm very pleased. I think the £5 flat rate for telephone calls is very reasonable; could I do better with 18185 as Martyn seemed to be advising a questioner who was on Skytalk last night?
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish you'd come here first Dinahmyte

I'm sure we could've saved you a lot of money.

Whatever you do, don't use Sky Talk for non-Sky 0845/0870 calls from 15-4-08.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • akh43akh43 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    Currently with BT

I use 18185 during the day and some evening calls, occasionally mobile calls
    use override number to call abroad

My BT calls are usually under £5 a quarter

I am looking at Primus 1 or 2

What is the best option for me and what is the difference between 1 and 2.

Primus 2 seems to be no monthly cost, whereas 1 is £1.49 (£5 cashback for 12 months, if I understand correctly). What is £1.49 a month for/what benefit do I get other than the cashback?

Most of my calls are evening local, but probably only 3/4 calls a week.

Given that I do not make many calls which is the best option for me?

Can I go through uswitch through quidco to get extra cashback?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may be confusing Primus Talk 1/2 (which appear to be offered only via uSwitch.com) with Primus Saver Option 2. The latter is also available via uSwitch but you have to be a little creative to get the uSwitch site to offer it.

Yes, you can go via Quidco to get to uSwitch and get £10 cashback.

Your use is very low so whether it's worth opting for Primus Saver Option 2 CPS instead of just changing to BT's (free if you agree to a 'rolling 12 month contract') Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan (formerly BT Together Option 2) really depends whether BT's 60 minute free evening/weekend call limit (as opposed to the 90 minutes available on Primus Saver Option 2) would be a problem for you.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • dogladdoglad Forumite
    15 Posts
    I just want the cheapest way to have a home phone. I only need incoming calls diverted to my vodaphone mobile from my land line. Any help or advice would be much appreciated
    Thanks Doglad
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doglad wrote: »
    I just want the cheapest way to have a home phone. I only need incoming calls diverted to my vodaphone mobile from my land line.
    I use a BT landline (the £10.50/month Unlimited Weekend Plan - formerly called BT Together Option 1), BT's £1.75/month Call Divert Calling Feature with Primus Saver Option 2 CPS plus Penny Mobile.

When the divert is operational, each diverted call costs me a flat rate of 20p for up to 20 minutes.
  • macliammacliam Forumite
    30 Posts
    I need to stay with my BT line, but as well as wanting free calls to UK landlines, I also need to call European landlines (and some mobiles) regularly.
    I have used overrides up until now, although this can still be expensive for mobiles. However the advent of setup charges means that a failed call will still cost at least 7p! Time to change ...:eek:
    I really can't see my family getting their heads around "if it's 3pm on a Tuesday in July, I should be using 0845 123321 for the cheapest call", so I've looked at packages that seem to do what I want.
    Euphony EUTALK18+, which for about £4.50 a month over the 18-month contract will give me UK and the international landline calls I need free at all times, so seems pretty good :cool:
    HOWEVER .... one of the override numbers I use for mobiles (which used to cost 10p/minute on BT) will cost 50p via Euphony! But I guess I can still dial 1280 back to BT and get the BT rate for mobiles .....:D
    Does anyone have any experience of Euphony .... I don't fancy getting caught up in an 18-month contract if they're bad news!
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use 18185 for calling mobiles instead - 5p connection and 6p/minute weekdays (3.5p at weekends).

Euphony may be the CPS provider for your usage (it's one of the alternatives in my 6-steps post - under the HERE link in my signature below).

Sounds like an Orchid is needed in your house.
  • macliammacliam Forumite
    30 Posts
    Heinz wrote: »
    Use 18185 for calling mobiles instead - 5p connection and 6p/minute weekdays (3.5p at weekends).

Euphony may be the CPS provider for your usage (it's one of the alternatives in my 6-steps post - under the HERE link in my signature below).

Sounds like an Orchid is needed in your house.

....Ahh, yes - I wasn't very clear, was I? :o
    I hardly ever call UK mobiles from my landline - so I meant European mobiles (a lot of people don't have landlines any more). That's why my override might seem "expensive" - it's actually a call to a mobile in Swizerland!
    I did read through your post and it's very useful - but if Euphony are OK (and the 1280 override to BT lets me use my mobile override for Switzerland ....) I think they're for me.
    I've emailed their customer team a few times and had good responses (but then, I'm not actually signed up yet, am I)icon12.gif
  • The BEST ever cheapest phone
    for me, was telling BT to go blow it out of their ear.
    I will NOT pay anybody for the privilage of paying them the bill!
    line rental + calls ok, but + Admin fee + payment charge NoWay!
    Virgin media are next on the list.

The more of you out there adopt the same attitude the sooner prices will drop & better deals will show-up, don't just leave it to me to fight for everyone.

Be like the French !!
    We don't like.
    Then do something about it. This goes for everything not just phones...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News