Forum Home» Phones & TV

An unauthorised cease put in my line by BT OpenReach - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

An unauthorised cease put in my line by BT OpenReach

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
24 replies 12.4K views

Replies

• moleratmolerat Forumite
    23.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In both cases it may well be BT or some sub-dept of BT's fault but you have a contract with Sky to provide you with a telephone line so it is up to them to sort it. Openreach may or may not take customers calls but you are not a customer of Openreach, Sky is. Send a strongly worded complaint letter to Sky, copied to Ofcom, stating that you will be starting legal action for breach of contract if it is not sorted.
  • ajcharltajcharlt Forumite
    6 posts
    Con,

A useful contact is the telecoms ombudsman, Otelo (http://www.otelo.org.uk/) if you need a referee!
  • this is so stupid .....it's sky's responsibility to sort this out
  • Con_2Con_2 Forumite
    3 posts
    Ofcom came back to me and told me that SKY were the company that asked for the Cease on the line. So I would need to take it back up with Sky as both the provider and the third party that requested the Cease.

So after wasting another half-day talking to seven different people from Sky, several people in BT. I know that I'd paid all my bills, and I wasn't in debt to them or anything.

I agree it may well be Sky's fault but if they refuse to resolve the problem and their agents keep telling me to contact BT OpenReach, then what can I do?

This morning when I called BT (Sales) as BT OpenReach can only be contacted by email, and they haven't responded to my complaint other than an automated acknowledgement, I was left with no other option but to sign back up to BT for 12 months!!! I estimate that it has actual cost me more in mobile and landline calls to Sky than a months worth of line rental, so I gave up and subscribed back to BT.

One thing I did learn though is when I re-signed up with them today my old line had still been registered to my old address (heaven knows why)! I moved house in May last year and transferred my phone line and number to the new house. However, the primary address by BT was still the old address (a screw up of BT hidden for all this time). So possibly when Sky took over the line rental through my new address (been here nearly a year so hardly new) it triggered an anomoly on there systems this may have initiated BT OpenReach to request Sky place a cease on the line! Thoughts?

Either way:
    if I rang Sky on their 0844 rate numbers they were claiming it is not their fault!
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Car Insurance Carver!
    CON wrote: »
    Thoughts?
    What's happened may be to your advantage - have you seen the outrageous increases Sky has just made to its 0845/0870 call charges?

Now you have a BT line again, please see the HERE link in my signature below.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • CON wrote: »
    Ofcom came back to me and told me that SKY were the company that asked for the Cease on the line. So I would need to take it back up with Sky as both the provider and the third party that requested the Cease.

So after wasting another half-day talking to seven different people from Sky, several people in BT. I know that I'd paid all my bills, and I wasn't in debt to them or anything.

I agree it may well be Sky's fault but if they refuse to resolve the problem and their agents keep telling me to contact BT OpenReach, then what can I do?

This morning when I called BT (Sales) as BT OpenReach can only be contacted by email, and they haven't responded to my complaint other than an automated acknowledgement, I was left with no other option but to sign back up to BT for 12 months!!! I estimate that it has actual cost me more in mobile and landline calls to Sky than a months worth of line rental, so I gave up and subscribed back to BT.

One thing I did learn though is when I re-signed up with them today my old line had still been registered to my old address (heaven knows why)! I moved house in May last year and transferred my phone line and number to the new house. However, the primary address by BT was still the old address (a screw up of BT hidden for all this time). So possibly when Sky took over the line rental through my new address (been here nearly a year so hardly new) it triggered an anomoly on there systems this may have initiated BT OpenReach to request Sky place a cease on the line! Thoughts?

Either way:
    if I rang Sky on their 0844 rate numbers they were claiming it is not their fault!

i'll try to make this as simple as possible . openreach (a bt group company) undertake work for various service providers (SP's) ....these SP's include Sky and bt retail which would be the relevant ones probably in your experience ....bt retail have absolutely nothing to do with your line once you have switched to Sky.
    ofcom have informed you that Sky have requested a cease of your line ....openreach have carried out this work as required .....there's nothing openreach can or will do to rectify this ....you need to have a SP (which you lost when Sky ceased your line) before they can be requested to do work.
    openreach don't initiate requests for Sky to cease lines ....it just doesn't work like that.
    the supposed 'screw up' by bt about your address is also irrelevant and won't have caused your problem.
  • An extract from an e-mail I received from Sky....

"They (Sky Talk) have also advised me that although they have cancelled your telephone line that this was at BT request due to an unspecified error and as such are unable to reactivate your telephone line directly. I would therefore suggest that you contact BT and request that your telephone line be reinstated, I must however advise that they may request that you complete another contract with themselves."

I have now signed back up with BT and I am tied into the specified 12 month contract. BT will resolve this in 2 days and hopefully I can halt the spiralling increase in my mobile bill! I still don’t know what the “unspecified fault” is or was.

From my point of view, the moral of the tale is that Sky don’t have the clout/infrastructure/experience to provide a comprehensive line rental service. BT still seems to be in the driving seat, so I am less inclined to experiment with other companies in the future. BT seem to still have somewhat of a monopoly in this area if they can cause such chaos by ordering the cancellation of a line due to an "unspecified fault" and without the knowledge of a customer.
  • normanmarknormanmark Forumite
    4.2K posts
    ajcharlt wrote: »
    . BT seem to still have somewhat of a monopoly in this area if they can cause such chaos by ordering the cancellation of a line due to an "unspecified fault" and without the knowledge of a customer.

I'd hold fire on that comment, for all you know the fault could be lying with just as much blame with Sky than BT.
  • ajcharltajcharlt Forumite
    6 posts
    normanmark wrote: »
    I'd hold fire on that comment, for all you know the fault could be lying with just as much blame with Sky than BT.

I will probably never know for certain where the blame lies. However, if Sky are to be believed, BT were able to block my line in such a way that only they could resolve the problem. This forced me into moving back to BT (or paying BT £125), which to me does not sound like open competition. However, I take the point that Sky may be to blame and you could imagine that BT would charge Sky to rectify an "unspecified error". I have no evidence of this, but either Sky or BT are not being entirely honest.
  • normanmarknormanmark Forumite
    4.2K posts
    BT Openreach wouldn't cease a line without permission from a customer (ie. Sky). Seems crazy to just cease it as they would lose money from Sky for it?

They don't cease lines either so that customers can resign up with BT Retail for a reconnection price. Thats a big conspiracy theory you've suggested there & if any of it was true, Ofcom would have BT by the short & curlies quicker than anyone here posting about it.

From my experience with both companies I'd say there has been either an error from Sky or Openreach, entering wrong data & deciding to cease the line. The only people that could investigate this for you is Sky as technically it was their line that was ceased. However it seems like they're not willing to do this for you - ask yourself why?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support