Line Rental query - Talk Talk and BT

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
9 replies 1.5K views
jezzercymrujezzercymru Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
Hi hope someone can help.

My in laws live on a fairly remote farm and periodically suffer problems with their phone line during heavy storms which historically has resulted in a service request being made to BT to check/fix the line.

They're pretty heavy users of the phoneline and are also moving into the broadband age and maybe taking up a contract with Talk Talk. My query and concern is over the line £10.50 line rental to Talk Talk. In the event of a fault on the line, who would I have to contact and who would repair it?

A) Talk Talk as I pay them the line rental.

or

B) BT as Talk Talk simply pass on the payment of the line rental for me to them.

or

C) God knows!!!!

Replies

• deklan99deklan99 Forumite
    637 Posts
    You would contact Talktalk to report faults or whoever you pay line rental to.
    In some circumstances, if you are on Talktalk's LLU service for instance,then Carphone Warehouse engineers might repair the fault however even then in most cases it would be BT Openreach.
    “I look like Spiderman at a funeral”~ Karl Pilkington
  • YpaymoreYpaymore Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Might a farm be a biz line. The Talk Talk service in question is only open to residential users.
  • normanmarknormanmark Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Deklan is right.

You contact Talk Talk as thats who you pay your money too for the service. Who they ask to repair the line is up to the company. But your contract is with Talk Talk & thus they should repair the line for you.
  • YpaymoreYpaymore Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes but if they have a Business Line and they have one of the care packages https://www2.bt.com/btPortal/application?event=bea.portal.framework.internal.refresh&pageid=my_account&siteArea=btb.mya
    as some Farmers do.TT would not support it if they moved to what is a residential service.
  • HungerdungerHungerdunger Forumite
    960 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Something else to consider is the possibility of having the service redirected to a mobile phone during an outage. We're in a similar position (Thunderstorm = phone line down). Following a storm in February, I asked Vodafone at Home (Our provider) to redirect calls to my Vodafone mobile. They told me they would try(!) to redirect landline calls to my mobile, but in this case they failed. However they admitted afterwards that it was technically possible and should have been done, so hopefully next time they'll get it sorted. Perhaps you should check whether Talk Talk can do this.
    "The trouble with quotations on the Internet is that you never know whether they are genuine" - Charles Dickens
  • penrhynpenrhyn Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    normanmark wrote: »
    Deklan is right.

You contact Talk Talk as thats who you pay your money too for the service. Who they ask to repair the line is up to the company. But your contract is with Talk Talk & thus they should repair the line for you.

If your contract is with talk talk then yes you will have to report a fault to them, they will in turn request BT to investigate and repair the line.
    The lines remain BT property and BT will not allow third parties to work on them. Even if talk talk equipment is installed in an exchange its BTs staff that tdo the connections.
    What you have to ask yourself is what level of priority will BT give to your line fault if you pay rental to talk talk?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • deklan99deklan99 Forumite
    637 Posts
    "BT Openreach look after the wires that connect homes and workplaces to the local telephone exchange where Communications Providers like TalkTalk take over."

"CPWN look after the network that TalkTalk uses to supply your line."

Depends on where the fault is who repairs it.
    “I look like Spiderman at a funeral”~ Karl Pilkington
  • normanmarknormanmark Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    penrhyn wrote: »
    What you have to ask yourself is what level of priority will BT give to your line fault if you pay rental to talk talk?

You make it sound like BT Retail would repair the lines. Its the Openreach division. They give it the same amount of priority as any other fault raised by any other customer to them.
  • Thanks for all your help, thoughts and advice.

I guess we'll have to try and get some pointers from Talk Talk. I'm just hoping that they will give an accurate response not just say anything to obtain new business!

Diolch yn fawr!

Jez
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

PCR tests to end for fully vaccinated

Travellers returning to England in Oct

MSE News

Free Homebuilding & Renovating Show tix

London, Harrogate & Shepton Mallet

MSE Deals