Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Home made wine and stockists of equipment - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

Home made wine and stockists of equipment

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
14 replies 13.4K views
2»

Replies

• I've made home made wine, and although its nothing like 'real' wine it's perfectly drinkable, especially as a mixer. The last lot I made only required 2l of orange juice, a litre of apple juice, some yeast and about 700g of sugar, so worked out at about 40p a bottle!
  • CaterinaCaterina Forumite
    5.9K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have just put a large order of wholefoods through together with a friend. While we were doing the order, her husband came in and asked us to order a large tub of honey (3kg). He is going to make mead for us!

Can't wait for it to be ready - takes 1 year or so to be ready and matured apparently - something to look forward to for next Christimas!

If anyone wants it I am going to ask him the recipe and post it here.

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Chris25Chris25 Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boots used to do a lovely Hedgerow kit. It was a rose wine - really fruity with lots of elderberry in. I'm just thinking how much I miss it :'(

We used to have a small home-brew shop near us, and it rented out fruit and veg 'mashers' - big barrels with rotating metal spades to break up all the fibres.

One year we made parsnip wine (which didn't need a masher) and for this particular recipe, you use the water that you've boiled the veg in, not the veg, itself. The freezer was full all winter with parsnips - I wasn't going to waste them ;D mind you, the wine tasted awful but it was so strong, after half a glass, you didn't care ;D ;D
  • catzninecatznine Forumite
    3.2K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    We made barley wine once and although we didn't like it hubbys pal came over and spent a happy afternoon finishing it off!

Don't forget even a less than perfect home made wine can be used in casseroles etc.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120