Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Updated Find the cheapest broadband discussion thread

edited 14 June 2010 at 3:34PM in Broadband & Internet Access
1.9K replies 554K views

Replies

• KingRoLo wrote: »
    Do you think i could say that the speed is really bad and because of this i have the right to break out of the contract without penatly simply because they arent supplying the advertised speed.

I'd say this probably will not hold; I was having a terrible time with Orange around this time last year, loss of connection etc. once every 3-4 days for a 24-48hr period and I was still in contract with them; there contract stated unless the service is lost 1 month in 3 then we have no right to cancel (I'm paraphrasing there). This was to do with industry guidelines I believe; i.e. ISPs cannot be expected to provide a 100% up service and so there regulator set "acceptable" downtime limits.

And with speed the whole reason for Ofcom starting to take an interest is because of the magic "up to" phrase.

If like me you're house and the exchange are at separate ends of a bit of damp string then speeds are likely to be at the lower end of the "up to".

To be fair to Orange they were more reliable after the whole saga; but it's started again for me recently.

Not to worry tho, I'm scouting round for better deals now as my contract finished recently! :D
    DMP Mutual Support Thread Member No 201

DMP with Payplan DFD sometime in 2017:eek: !

BUT...I'm Proud to be dealing with my debt.
  • Apparently we are too far from the exchange and our lines are of poor quality!! However someone was telling me about mobile broadband which is offered by vodaphone - apparently if you get a good signal on your vodaphone mobile,which we do, then we can get a reasonable speed broadband this way. Does anyone know anything about this - please explain in simple terms! Presently we pay two line rentals to BT as we need access to phone and internet.
  • MSE_ArchnaMSE_Archna Former MSE
    1.9K posts
    MSE Staff
    Hi bargains4betty,

We're currently researching the top mobile broadband deals and there will be an article on it in the free weekly tip this week or next. Keep an eye out for it. If you're not already signed up you can sign up here:

[signupbox]box[/signupbox]
  • point3point3 Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Apparently we are too far from the exchange and our lines are of poor quality!! However someone was telling me about mobile broadband which is offered by vodaphone - apparently if you get a good signal on your vodaphone mobile,which we do, then we can get a reasonable speed broadband this way. Does anyone know anything about this - please explain in simple terms! Presently we pay two line rentals to BT as we need access to phone and internet.

Vodafone announced on 4th Feb that they were halving the price of their personal mobile broadband package to £15 per month. It's mentioned on their website as "Mobile Broadband latest offers" and gives a phone number to ring (08080 254 254) or suggests calling instore. They haven't updated the rest of the site though and if you try to order online you will be billed £30 per month plus the cost of the modem :rolleyes: .
  • I have never written on here before but reading everyone's messages, just wanted to say that I am currently with Pipex for my line rental, unlimited anytime calls and broadband. I was in the process of changing to Talk Talk, when Pipex called and have offered me the whole above package for £15.99, so definately worth asking before you swap!!!! Hope this benefits someone else x x x
  • I only found this out a couple of weeks ago. I switched to TT, and my initial contract is about to end, so i was looking for an alternative. My local exchange has now been unbundled and TT have me on thier own equipment. Turns out if I want to switch, all the providers in my area say must have a BT line. This means if I want to switch to say JoeBlogs Broadband service first, I have to pay BT £125 for re-connection and stay with them for 12 months for line rental otherwise they will charge me another £70.:eek: So it seems like I'm stuck with TT until someone else outs thier own equipment into my exchange. Of course I could jsut swith back to BT and take out a Broadband and calls package, but it still grates that I'd have to pay BT for the priviledge. I think this is an anti-competitive practice, but Ofcom tell me it's acceptable!
  • I am told that o2 customers who are due to upgrade can negotiate an upgrade package that contains heavily discounted broadband, some customers can even get it for free. My uncle got a deal where he pays only 2.50 per month for 8gb speeds, and he got a wireless router, and a 90 or 100 day cash back guarantee. and he tells me this broadband is very good. From what I read online this is true.
  • deklan99deklan99 Forumite
    637 posts
    arefem wrote: »
    Of course I could jsut swith back to BT and take out a Broadband and calls package, but it still grates that I'd have to pay BT for the priviledge. I think this is an anti-competitive practice, but Ofcom tell me it's acceptable!

In this conext a "BT Line" means a standard analogue phone line connected to BT's equipment at the exchange.
    Many providers can connect now - the phone co-ops info is the clearest http://www.thephone.coop/residential/linerental/installreconnect.html but others include the post office, madasafish http://www.madasafish.com/talk/new-line-installation.shtml, plusnet.
    Some of those will reconnect you along with calls/broadband packages but none, including BT, will happily stump up to openreach only for you to take your business for calls/line rental elsewhere.
    Apart from all that you may not be liable for the charge in any case - I wasn't charged when I escaped from TalkTalk LLU - just have to speak to the right people at BT I think.
    “I look like Spiderman at a funeral”~ Karl Pilkington
  • I recomend Bethere.co.uk Bevalue package at £14 per month. Sign up through Quidco and you could get £55 cashback and if you use promo code SALES2 you can get free connection (£24) and 1 month free (£14) . Thats £93 off! With those discounts it's equivalent to £6.25 per month for the 1st year.
    I think this pretty much wins the cheapest broadband.
    It's also an unlimited service and has been a good service for me so far.
  • I love BT Vision with Broadband Package. It is fab, I have thrown away the VCR!
    If you have been a BT customer for sometime and currently have the broadbnad package you can negotiate a new deal (within 3 months of your current contract ending). I was paying £17.99 less £2.00 discount (so £15.99 per month for my BB). Now I pay £10.50 for the basic freeview and broadband (package 2) (I can only get about 3mg) plus free evening & weekend calls and free BT Vault for 12 months and thereafter 6 months at £13.95. I got a free Homehub and free BT Vision box - records up 80 hours TV, can record 2 programs at once AND watch something else OR something you previously recorded at the same time. Fab or what. Easy to install & use. I haven't used the on demand service as yet, but I expect I will shortly.