A bit of risk!!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
4 replies 599 views
spanerfootspanerfoot Forumite
4 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Savings & Investments
Hi

I am new to this, but have a question regarding Savings!!

I would like to save a regular amount of up to £50 per month, but would like something exciting!!! not just an Isa/regular Savings account (or Premium bonds as I have them).

possibly with a bit of risk!! :rolleyes:

Thanks
Pam

Replies

• are you prepared to lose it?
  • AegisAegis Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    lordgaino wrote: »
    are you prepared to lose it?
    Might be slightly better phrased as "how much of it would you be prepared to lose without getting cold feet and pulling out?"... That way it gives you a quantitative value for the level of risk that the OP is prepared to accept.

I'm guessing that with "a little bit of risk" it would be at maybe the 10-15% level.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • Well there is a question!!!

This may seem a daft answer but I suppose the answer is no not all of it..:cool:

So stick it in an isa I hear you say!!!
  • AegisAegis Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    spanerfoot wrote: »
    Well there is a question!!!

This may seem a daft answer but I suppose the answer is no not all of it..:cool:

So stick it in an isa I hear you say!!!
    Risk is a sliding scale. Just because you don't want to risk all of it doesn't mean you should automatically risk none of it.

If you'd be ok with seeing it drop down by, say, 15% as part of the overall upwards trend, you'd be ok with investing in some fixed-interest funds with maybe a few equity units thrown in for good measure. That way you get little volatility but still the potential for reasonable growth.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals