who do I report it to?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
28 replies 1.4K views
cariscaris Forumite
730 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
Hi

Our eldest daughter is driving her car, it has had no MOT since October last year, tax runs out at the end of March this year, she has no insurance, and a few weeks ago she had to surrender her licence to DVLA because she is epileptic, so she will not get it back until September this year at the earliest, depending on her health, she is constantly driving the car, we have told her about the consequences but she will not listen to us, what should we do?

caris

Replies

• the police. ASAP.
  • This is a matter for the Police surely?

She is putting all other road users at risk by her medical condition alone let alone the lack of documentation.

I hope she doesn't live near me
    It's taken me years of experience to get this cynical
  • ElliesmumElliesmum Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Take the distributor cap off the car, disconnect the battery and hide the keys - this will stop her driving the car!

EM xx
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato ;) Make £2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = £1626.25/£2018 :j
  • tanithtanith Forumite
    8.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the other posters , maybe to soften the blow you could talk to your community police officers and they could speak to her...

You have to do something before she either kills someone or herself...
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • I would suggest you might let her know that you will be telling the police today if she doesn't stop, she is your daughter after all!

Sean
  • raskazzraskazz Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Again, tell the Police asap.

For her own good and for other road users'.
  • Would you all report your offspring to the police?

Not sure if I would, I think I would be more tempted to disable the car. But you really need to do something I think the police would be the last resort for me.
  • Hintza wrote: »
    Would you all report your offspring to the police?

Not sure if I would, I think I would be more tempted to disable the car. But you really need to do something I think the police would be the last resort for me.

So if she hit someone, you could live with your conscience knowing that for the sake of a phone call, that could have been prevented?

She's a grown adult and she's made a conscious decision to stick two fingers up to the law.

Unlicenced and uninsured drivers are the scum of the earth. Sadly my employment forces me to share the road with them 100,000 miles a year and I can pretty much guarantee the serious accident I have will no doubt involve an unlicensed/uninsured driver so my family will get nothing and lose everything.

To the OP, if you don't want to ring them yourself, PM me with the vehicle registration and the street/town she lives in and I'll phone them.
  • scbkscbk Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Slash her tyres, then leave a note on her windscreen :A
  • hartcjharthartcjhart Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you can get hold of the keys take them away from her and as the other poster said remove part of the ignition system,

This would be the best option for you to try and keep some family harmony,

if you cannot get hold of the keys then either slash the tyres all 4 or purchase a wheel clamp and put that on the car,

I would assume that you have told her that you are thinking of contacting the police but I would use this as the last option,Now I am not of the 'bleeding heart mob' BUT she is obviously going through a hell of a lot at the moment and involving the police when not needed will just add to her problems and possibly alienate her from you
    I :love: MOJACAR
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals