Who do we pay for water to?

in Water bills
9 replies 1.2K views
Or should that be "To whom do we pay our water?"

We moved into our house 6 weeks ago and were told by the previous owners that we had a water meter. We've not been able to find it (nor were they) and we haven't had anything from a water company with regards to changing the name over, supplying a reading etc.

How do we find out a) where the meter is and b) who we should contact to start paying for it?

Thanks.

(I'm also starting another thread on how to make the water bill as low as possible.)

Replies

• You might find the information in your local phone directory under 'water'. Otherwise, ask a neighbour or ring the local library.
    Once traced, I'm sure the water company can tell you if your water's metered. If so, finding the meter is quite another matter!
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • RikkiRikki Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    This could be serious.
    You need to locate your meter as soon as possible. You don't know what the reading was when you moved in so you could end up with a very large bill and some of it could be from the previous owners.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • Woby_TideWoby_Tide Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    the household rarely reads the water metere(in fact I think a lot are digital with no actual physical display), just contact teh water company in the phone book and they will take the reading. Not sure how it will work with regards to who pays what as you've let 6 weeks slip by without contacting water company. No way to prove what the reading was when the last person left.
  • RikkiRikki Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    I had my meter installed as a way of saving money. And it works.

Mine is in a small square drain outside the front of the property. Inside is a round tube with a lid, insde meter with digital display. I try to check mine each month so I know I don't have a leak.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • rchddap1rchddap1 Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Our is also in a drain type thing in the ground...problem is ours is so far down that we can't see it anyway. So finding the meter may not help you.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • roger56roger56 Forumite
    478 Posts
    trippy wrote:
    We moved into our house 6 weeks ago and were told by the previous owners that we had a water meter. We've not been able to find it (nor were they) and we haven't had anything from a water company with regards to changing the name over, supplying a reading etc.

How do we find out a) where the meter is and b) who we should contact to start paying for it?

Thanks.

You should sort this quickly and get the meter read. The previous occupant must have known who the supplier was to pay bills, otherwise it suggests they haven't been paying for water!!
    I suggest you contact a local water company helpline, they should be able to tell you who supplies the water to your address.
  • Woby_TideWoby_Tide Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Surely everyone has the same water company(within an area) so the old occupant and new occupant know exactly who the supplier is? I thought it was only gas and elec that was deregulated.

edit: (and I know you can ahve seperate companies for supply and sewerage but still they will be the only one providing the area)
  • lindenslindens Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ask your neighbours/post office you will all have the same water company. your water meter is usually in front of your property where the pipes come in, under a small metal cover-the stop tap is usually in the same box.
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
  • deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    Forumite
    The water company will have the location of the meter on there system as long as the meter reader has put in a good location for it tho!

You need to locate ASAP and get the reading i get it all the time where houses come down as "void" so i ask for there details for billing and they havent read the meter, ask one of your neighbours who supplies the water and sewage as some border areas are supplied by 2 different water companys to 1 property (1 for water and another for sewage)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides