red lentils

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
208 replies 27.7K views

Replies

• KittyKateKittyKate Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Add them to a chilli, or mash them up and make patties (sorry, I don't have the recipe to hand).
  • fizzel81fizzel81 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    i made a nice lentil bake the other week even the kids liked it
    DFW nerd club number 039 :p 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' :money: i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb £6,247.98/£6282.80 :T
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target £4k + cb £643.89:eek: /£6412.80
  • purplecatloverpurplecatlover Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    i have a bag of red lentils that need using up. they say they are no saok and boil in 30 mins. anyone got any ideas for ways to use them?

also do i have to boil them before i add them to soup/stew in the slow cooker? (ive never used them before)
  • I love this, it's really easy and very filling! Enough for 4 with some veg on the side.

2 Onions (chopped)
    Oil
    3-4 Carrots (chopped)
    Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
    400mls Stock
    2 tbsp Tomato Puree
    100g Red Lentils

Fry Onion in oil till soft, then add carrots and fry for another 5 mins. Add rest of ingredients. Bring to boil, cover and simmer for aprox 20 mins (until lentils soften).

Make some mashed potatoes. Spoon mash over lentil mix. Sprinkle some grated cheese over top. Put in oven for 30mins at Gas Mark 6 (no idea what that is in electric)

Snowball

May Grocery Challenge £244.58/£300
  • purplecatloverpurplecatlover Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    that sounds yummy thank you, will amke it at the weekend.
  • auroraheliosaurorahelios Forumite
    376 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭
    You don't need to boil them up before adding them into your slow cooker. They do need to be cooked properly so make sure they go in at the beginning of the recipe,but they don't contain toxins like some pulses so dont need to be boiled up.

They absorb other flavours well so can be added to lots of meals to bulk them up, particularly saucy meals. If you like spicy food they make a lovely curry and spiced soups.
  • kissmekate_2kissmekate_2 Forumite
    138 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Hi

Just as an add on to the sheps pie, I always add a dollop of whole grain mustard to the mash then mix it in. It tastes fab!

Kissmekate
  • newlywednewlywed Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I add some of them into most mince dishes to pad out the mince - just add them at the beginning so they have enough time to cook through.

Lentil soup is nice too - I made one like this the other week:

Fry onion.
    Add bit of garlic, splash of worcester sauce
    Add load of grated carrots
    Bung in some red lentils
    Add carton of passata
    Add some stock.

Boil for about an hour - then whizz up.

Made a lovely thick soup.
    working on clearing the clutter
  • kissmekate wrote: »
    Hi

Just as an add on to the sheps pie, I always add a dollop of whole grain mustard to the mash then mix it in. It tastes fab!

Kissmekate

....make the mash from potato/sweet potato, or potato/parsnip mix. Some grated cheese on the top (not for the vegans).

....lentils also very useful for thickening up a slightly sloppy stew/casserole dish.
  • Hi

Similar to the cottage pie you can make lentil bolognese. I tend to fry garlic and 1-2 chopped onions til soft, add whatever veg I have around to use up - carrots, parsnips, courgettes, peppers, squash all work well, - sweat for 5-10 mins, add tinned tomatoes, stock, tomato puree until consistency like bolognese and cook for 30 - 40 mins or so til veg soft

meanwhile cook lentils in a seperate pan according to instructions, drain, rinse and add to mix above

once lentils added I then season to taste, I normally add worcester sauce, mixed herbs, red wine and sometimes mushroom ketchup

serve with gnocchi, pasta or baked potatoes
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals