Ruby's Bought a House, Now I want to Own It!

Replies

• ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Right time for another end of month round up:

Money

- Overpay the mortgage by at least £5000: With today's OP, we're at £1148.98 in overpayments this year so far 👍 a little behind where we need to be but still enough time to get back on track!
    - Max out the LISA: I'm all ready for the 22/23 year and have £300 sitting in a pot ready to be transferred over when the new allowance kicks in this week.
    - Build the emergency fund to £10,000: Managed to transfer another £1000 to the premium bonds in March and we're currently at just over £6k in total so getting there slowly.  My plan is to have £1000 in the bank and then the rest in premium bonds that we'll add to as time goes on (and hopefully actually win something one month!)  With the increases in cost of living, this needs to realistically be more than 10k in order to be enough to cover us for 6 months but let's just get to £10k first.
    - Reduce my personal spending: Had a bit of cash left over at the end of the month as was able to top up various savings pots and had enough left over to pay for lunch with my parents over Mother's day weekend.  Got a little bit spendy this weekend as I had birthday vouchers which I then topped up with cash, but hopefully should be better in April.

House

- Declutter 365 items: Sold something on Vinted and managed to offload our old vacuum cleaner to a friend that's just moved into their first place on their own - slow and steady! 40/365
    - "Renovate" the Kitchen: Still need a new blind but saying that this job is done
    - House to Home: Everything too a bit of a back seat with all the family stuff happening at the moment, plus DH is hyper focused on his vegetable planting for the year so will see what little jobs we can get done this month around all of that.

Personal

- Learn a new skill: Still need to start the calligraphy classes 😏
    - Visit a new (to me) place in the UK: I'm lucky to say that I've visited a lot of our wonderful homeland but there are still places yet to be discovered Booked to go to the New Forest in May so this should tick this off the list.
    - Visit a new (to me) country: This one is of course dependent on external factors but I want to tick another place off the list Hopefully going to Lisbon in October 🤞
    - Read 52 books: 21 down 31 to go
    - Build healthy habits: Been a bit up and down in March due to birthday and not being well but hoping to get back to it this week.  Did restart C25K though and felt better for the runs I could do!

Not a lot of progress in March really and hoping for better in April 🙃

Emergency Fund - £6857.08 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £6205.55
    LISA 22/23 - £1038 :: NSD August - 4 / 20 :: Books Read: 36 / 52 :: Decluttering - 365 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
    3.9K Posts
    Forumite
    April's already been a bit all over the place. 

- Health wise I've had more dental issues with yet another gum infection but this time on a different tooth.  Been on antibiotics for a few days and it's feeling a lot better but does mean probably another root canal heading my way soon at least.  But I have started a new workout plan which so far is making me feel pretty good about myself, if my shoulders are constantly aching!

- Money wise, DH has paid off his loan about a year early so now we are completely debt free apart from the mortgage 🥳  We've also applied jointly (and been accepted) for Virgin Atlantic credit cards, with the sole aim being to get free flights (apart from taxes etc.) to America in 2024 for our big trip.  I've been using my Tesco credit card for a lot of my purchases for a while as the clubcard points convert to Virgin airmiles so have been racking it all up anyway, but we'll be making a better points conversion with the Virgin one instead.  I've got a system where I have a Monzo pot where I transfer the money over to cover my credit card bills and then just pay it off when the bill comes in straight away and DH is going to adopt that route too.  If we can save some money down the line for something we already do then I'm all for that.

- Had a lovely day out with friend's on Saturday at a gin festival.  Weather was lovely, dinner afterwards was gorgeous and company was delightful.  Also a couple of our other friend's got engaged last week and are planning a wedding for next year; so excited for them and luckily had an engagement card in our card stash so have sent that off.

Shopping wise I've "spent" a bit already this month but actually have just been taking advantage of birthday discounts and vouchers to stock up on stuff that I'm almost out of.  Also took a trip to TK Maxx yesterday and picked up a camping light for our campervan trip that's small and light weight and can also be clipped onto stuff and great for late night trips to the toilet.  And while we were there I also picked up a pair of Haviana flip flops for our Florida trip which were reduced to £8 because they were a strange size and well, I have strange sized feet and they fit perfectly 🤣

Think that's about it so far this month.  Feeling very motivated this week and looking forward to the long weekend to get a few jobs done around the house.
    LISA 22/23 - £1038 :: NSD August - 4 / 20 :: Books Read: 36 / 52 :: Decluttering - 365 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    14K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Well done to your DH was clearing his loan early and you being debt free, apart from the mortgage - but that is good debt!

I do the same with the CC, I use YNAB and when I spend on the CC it comes off the current account balance so the money is there to pay it off at the end of the month when the statement comes out.  So much better than just trying to find the money when it's due!

3.9K Posts
    Forumite
    It's payday today and the shuffle has been completed.  Looked at YNAB but decided to just refresh my spreadsheet instead and optimise it a bit more and quite pleased with how it looks and works now.  I work with spreadsheets all day so sometimes feels like a chore to do things outside of work with them 😆

Over the bank holiday weekend I managed to get on top of a few jobs that I've been putting off for a while like sorting out my bedside drawers and taking lots of donations to the charity drop off points finally (well over 200 items out!) and we started getting through the massive box of shredding.  

I know I was supposed to reduce the miscellaneous spending this month but all my skincare is running out at the same time so put an order in this morning to replenish the things I needed and then started ordering things for our holiday's while I had very good discount codes going on e.g. all our SPF needs for Florida, along with some more for the summer anyway, and a whole bunch of swimwear as I only have 1 swimming costume which is a little big and a bikini that is a little small 😆
  • South_coastSouth_coast Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Agreed, sounds like you're going great guns 😀!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
    3.9K Posts
    Forumite
    Been another busy couple of weeks so time for an update:

• Holiday to Florida has been paid off finally and the ESTA's have been approved so we're all good to go at the moment.  We even managed to use the Virgin credit card to pay off the holiday (then paid the card off immediately) which earned us another 16000 air mile points so we're racking them up quite quickly.  Just hoping it pays off when we need to book all these flights next year.  Was going to wait on the ESTA till June but turns out the price is going up from $14 a person to $21 pp on the 26th May so jumped on that this morning to get the cheaper price.  Just hoping that MiL is still planning her wedding for the end of April and not the end of May 2024; don't want to have to fork out for another one!
    • Speaking of holiday's we had our much anticipated camper van trip this past weekend.  Weather was glorious, Bertie (the campervan) was great, if a little temperamental at times with first gear, and we loved the New Forest.  DH even managed to not complain about the lack of "comforts" that he's used to on trips 😂  Definitely want to go back but think it would have to be in a cottage / lodge / something with a proper bed for DH.  Walked over 10 miles each day so feeling a bit fitter which helped!
    • Ended up with an extra £138 left over this month so sent that straight to the LISA this morning.  Want to max that out asap and then put any extras for the rest of the year into the holiday and long term savings pots respectively
    • Finally had our £150 rebate from the council so that's gone into the emergency fund.  Almost at the point where I can send another £1000 over to the premium bonds (not that I've actually won anything there yet...)  Or should I jump on the Chase bandwagon and move it over to there so at least it will make something?
    • Have managed to stay relatively on top of the housework to the point that it was quite clean and tidy before we went away.  It's not perfect but I wouldn't be ashamed to have people over in it's current state.  Just need to try and maintain it.

Think that's about it for a quick update.  Still shuffling money around as it's payday today and need to plan out some upcoming spends, like the dental treatment I'm starting this week (which I think is a class 2 treatment so about £70 - thank you NHS!) and dinner out with my parents soon.  Oh and I need to get an anniversary present / card for some friends.  Will go and make a note and work out what expenses I need to plan for and then put the money aside.