The second hurdle - Nichelette v the huge mortgage

Replies

• savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    20.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Great news on the win.

Enjoy your time with DS.
    Target 1) Lose weight & get fit (started) 2) Declutter 3) Get to £6k EF/Savings Now £2.7k 4) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 255 payments to go. Now £196,223. 5) Mortgage neutral progress (private pension/AVCs c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief 6) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 7) CC Debt free April 22 (now stay that way!!)
  • NicheletteNichelette Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    So good news - I was right about my pay being down, so the condescending *enter swear word here* who basically said 'I'm right, you're wrong' and ignored me for 3 weeks until I escalated it can smoke that. Can you tell he riled me up? I'm honestly normally a very calm person. Bad news, I'm only due £65 because they screwed up my unpaid period and gave me the wrong dates, so now I can't do anything as I've started childcare around the dates I was given. End result I'm down about £600 before tax. I'll take the moral victory though..

Vanguard is now only minus around 0.5% and chunky's money is in the positive again. This whole economic situation has really made me think. I'm doing my best to stock up on non-perishable bits whilst we have 'free' cash so it will cushion things a bit. I know we're very fortunate to be in the situation to do so. I really wanted to be able to get DH a new car as a surprise 40th birthday present (June 2025) as he's currently driving a 57 plate Polo that won't hast forever. I was looking to save for that, but I really don't know what the situation will be now. Bulb are saying direct debit needs to go to £150 now (not surprised). I'm trying to be as efficient as possible and I'm barely using the oven in favour of the air fryer if I can.

Moving wise, I do still really want to move in a couple of years mainly so I'm not having to pull the poor boy out of school and away for friends, but absolute worst case we do have two bedrooms and at least we're in a house so we have a garden too, and it's a lovely area. Obviously timing is very poor, but if we were to have another baby we can fit a second cot in the other room. DH would have to get rid of his desk and either work full time in the office again until we can move or whatever else he thinks is viable. It sounds very self indulgent in light of what is happening now but I do feel sad that chunky has never had a proper nursery/bedroom as DH has always worked in there. When we bought this house WFH was not even a tiny speck of an option because there is no way we'd have been allowed to do it without the pandemic. Even when it did kick off we basically had to fight to WFH and were in there for about a week after everyone was told to WFH. 

At least we've had a bit of nice weather to perk us up. I've enjoyed hanging the washing in the garden far too much :D. That's another thing that poor chunky gets lumbered with as no space elsewhere...

Money is going not too badly considering I've put £700 in the tax free childcare account this month. Hoping to be able to overpay a bit still but keeping some back to cover day to day spending and mortgage doesn't go until the 1st/can't pay for cake smash photos until nearer the time. 

Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £222,800.11 - Savings in Vanguard £2,200 (give or take, mostly take nowadays..)
    MFW #86 - aiming for 5k in 2022
    Overpayments since 27.03.19: £42,066.45
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    20.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Sounds like you are budgeting well. Yay for the moral victory and the garden. Glad investments settling back
    Target 1) Lose weight & get fit (started) 2) Declutter 3) Get to £6k EF/Savings Now £2.7k 4) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 255 payments to go. Now £196,223. 5) Mortgage neutral progress (private pension/AVCs c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief 6) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 7) CC Debt free April 22 (now stay that way!!)
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Quick one... 

Was doing okay though last pay month was spendy due to Oliver's birthday. Unfortunately since then everything that could go wrong has. He had two 3 hour settling in sessions last week and in that time managed to catch a sickness bug. I've been ill since last Monday (not covid) and still feel like rubbish. Unfortunately chunky went straight from the sickness bug to catching that from me. 

On Thursday my car went into limp mode. Not the best timing because I start work again on Friday and was hoping to take chunky out to a local animal place to enjoy my last day with him (I know it sounds pathetic, and although I've always known it would happen, I can only liken the way I feel about leaving him to a bereavement). Car is currently with VW. The warranty expired THREE weeks ago and now it looks like it needs a new mecatronic unit for which I've been quoted 2.4k plus the £99 for them to diagnose the issue. I'm equally raging and depressed because I love that car, but now I don't trust that more won't go wrong with it. More annoyingly I could have bought another years warranty for £180 which I would have done, but I didn't know about it. I'm waiting for firm confirmation and it looks like VW will probably contribute something to it, but it's still rubbish. I'm annoyed because it has only done 15k miles and part of the reason for getting such a new car was to avoid stuff like this. I know you can never ben sure, but to be honest I expected better from a VW. If it was 6+ years and/or high miles I'd stick it in the 'annoying but it happens' pile, but I'm really not impressed at the moment. 

Anyway, we dropped the car off and as soon as I got home one of the arms fell off of my prescription sunglasses. It only needs a new screw which I'm sure the opticians can fix, but I can't even get there as no car... Same day husband got me flowers. My favourite vase he got me has a hairline crack that is leaking. I'm hoping glue will make it watertight but who knows. Anyway, the whole episode has stressed me out and sent me into panic about having to deal with constant nursery illness and dealing with the unexpected when both working full time. I don't honestly know how people manage. I'd also hoped to have a good week of prepping but that has failed because I've had no energy to do anything and still feel rubbish. 

In happier news we had a little birthday party for chunky. I think I'll be a buffet and balloon arrangement master by the time he's an adult, but I need to give the cake decorating a miss :D

Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £222,800.11 - Savings in Vanguard £2,200 (give or take, mostly take nowadays..)
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    So in case anyone was wondering, VW want to contribute zero. Looks like another fight I could do without 😫
    Finally bought a home
  • AimingforthegoodlifeAimingforthegoodlife Forumite
    191 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I honestly can't believe that about the car! That is beyond infuriating, and painful for the cost!! Urgh! In good news, you did amazingly with the balloons and the cake! Love it! And a moral win is always very valuable to the old ego, we all need a boost sometimes! 
  • Cornish_mumCornish_mum Forumite
    428 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi

I just wanted to pop by and give you a virtual hug; the going back to work bit is really hard and being a double FT household with kids isn’t easy but in my experience it definitely gets easier.

Try to take care of yourself and also cut yourself some slack during the transition.

Take care

CM

PS the buffet looks amazing 
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    I honestly can't believe that about the car! That is beyond infuriating, and painful for the cost!! Urgh! In good news, you did amazingly with the balloons and the cake! Love it! And a moral win is always very valuable to the old ego, we all need a boost sometimes! 
    I know, I honestly expected better from VW as a company but unfortunately looking at reviews I think I'm on a hiding to nothing. Legally everything is in their favour, but there is no way such a major part is fit for purpose if it dies after 15k 😖. The mechanic said they usually go in the first year when the do go, so I honestly believe it's the lower than average covid mileage that stopped it from going before now. 
    Finally bought a home
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Hi

I just wanted to pop by and give you a virtual hug; the going back to work bit is really hard and being a double FT household with kids isn’t easy but in my experience it definitely gets easier.

Try to take care of yourself and also cut yourself some slack during the transition.

Take care

CM

PS the buffet looks amazing 
    Thank you. In my heart I know it's the best thing for now because it will give us the ability to move and have more space and a better living environment in the future, and he does love being there, it's just hard at the moment. I'm sure in time it will become our normal. 
    Finally bought a home
  • Cornish_mumCornish_mum Forumite
    428 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi that’s great - I feel the same that my working is overall best for our family but it’s super personal.  I am extremely glad to have kept my career (MrCM and I earn about the same), so now the hard expensive nursery fees period is behind us, we are much more secure than we would have been if I had stopped working (in my line of work career trajectory is very important and you can’t do my role part-time or restart after a career break easily). 

Glad you are feeling ok
    CM