NEW: Got questions about energy? Put them to Gary and Andrew from MSE's Utilities team during our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here from Tuesday 9 August, 12pm
i came across a link on facebook for reclaiming bank charges put my name date of birth and phone number then it asked me for my bank details alarm bells rang and i came off the site. then i had phone calls asking for more information which i have not given made excuses that i was going out etc ignored other phone calls thinking the legal company would give up. then i had a phone call stating that money had gone into my account i checked and it had, then they stated they wanted £520 for their service i have not payed them because i did not ask them to do this , i have not signed anything. The link on fb i came off straight away because i thought it was a scam. Where do i stand i don't see why i should pay them

Replies

• zx81zx81 Forumite
    35.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Most people who respond to ads on Facebook end up signing up to things by clicking links they shouldn't.

Ask them for a copy of the contract so you can see where you stand.
  • The_UnreadyThe_Unready Forumite
    217 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    How did money just turn up in your account if you hadn't given them the account details?
  • FarfetchFarfetch Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Do you actually mean bank charges (as you cannot "claim" these) or for a packaged account? 

If it was a packaged account that you had with the bank and still bank with them, it's likely the claims firm sent the complaint in anyway and the bank paid out to you.

He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.

-Harold Wilson

• SandtreeSandtree Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Barbara1938 said:
    i had a phone call stating that money had gone into my account i checked and it had
    How much as gone in? What was the method of deposit? Who was the payer?