Atrixa's Saving Diaries

edited 25 January at 6:20PM in How much have you saved?
410 replies 26.6K views

Replies

• atrixaatrixa Forumite
    465 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've got a Mr T order coming tomorrow with any heavy/bulky non-perishable items I will need throughout the next month. On the menu for evening meals are:

Chilli sin Carne
    Sweet Potato, Spinach and Chickpea Curry
    Vegan Sausage Casserole
    Vegan Meatball and Butterbean Stew
    Satay Sweet Potato Curry
    Bolognese Pasta Bake
    Risotto
    Stir Fry

Lunches will be soup or pasta, and breakfast tends to be tofu scramble or mushrooms on toast with spinach. I'm not really into sweet breakfasts. 
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Those meal plans look great, filling and will keep you energised.
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    465 Posts
    Forumite
    Mr T order arrived last night, and I went to A!di for some of their own brand stuff, total spent so far is £51.07. I can hopefully avoid the supermarkets until next week when I'll probably need some more plant milk or fresh bread. Tea last night was pie (from the a!di freezer,) chips and beans. Also found some reduced hot cross buns (they didn't agree with me, boo!) for dessert. Tea tonight is pasta and pesto with veg from stores. Will make chilli tomorrow night.
    14.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Could have been the fruit in them or they were too stodgy for you.

To get you underway with pension planning:

A = look at your outgoings, remove mortgage, pension, savings and work related expenses, what's left is the basic amount you need each month. 

B = Look at existing pensions and use a pension calculator to get a rough idea of what it could be worth.

B - A = ? 

If it's a negative figure, revert to the calculator to see how much extra you need to put away.

If it's a positive figure, you're on the right track and just need to repeat the above each year.

Don't forget to check your state pension to ensure you're on track for a full one, read past the big writing. That really boosts money when reaching state pension age.

When I did my calculations I could see we'd be fine just on one full state pension, add in a work pension and we won't be far off my current take-home pay. Saving and having my SIPP opened up retiring early. Both options will see me not using my full tax allowance.

(Sorry, that was a bit longer than I thought it would be!)
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    465 Posts
    Forumite
    I did some pensions calcs a while back, essentially will be on track for full state at 67 and my work pension is on track to cover basic expenses as is when combined with state, but for some cushioning need to make AVCs so can have fun or emergency money.

I really think 67 is too old to be retiring fully, but I certainly couldn't retire early just on my work pension. I think ideally I would want to reduce hours down, but who knows what job I'll be in, what my health will be like, what income I'll have in 30 years time? I want to look at investing long term, but just funding my emergency funds is a good short term goal for now.
  • Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    6.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think it’s a good idea to get a healthy emergency fund saved. Good too that you are thinking of pension plans. I can’t see me working to 67 either. I’d like to retire early but need to do some calculations and make plans. 

0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE
    House sale/ purchase costs to date 31/5/22
    Insurance 2 x £90 Searches £300. Survey £600
    Aiming to retire early age 60 🥳
    14.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Totally agree 67 is too late for retiring, we need some fun years after decades of the grindstone.
    Get your EF sorted out and then have another look at a different financial area.
  • It seems so late to retire at 67 but it’s hard to get the savings to retire a lot earlier unless you started saving early. I feel im playing catch-up to retirement savings. 

Emergency fund is definitely good to prioritise 
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    465 Posts
    Forumite
    Trip to Mr M's after work. Spent £11.90 on fresh bits for tea for me and bf later this week (satay sweet potato curry), plant milk, lucozade sport 4-pack for my runs, soup and pasta for lunches, mushrooms and bread. Didn't buy any rubbish.

Groceries running total now £62.97. I should be able to avoid the shops until I run out of either bread or plant milk.

I also picked out a french bean variety to plant in the spring (dwarf french bean tendergreen). I had my professional qualification exam this morning and I passed with 36 points out of 40 :)

14.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Are the supermarket LS drinks any good, it could save a few pence. I used to buy plant milk online in bulk, might also be worth looking into.

You'll enjoy the beans, mine kept producing.

Congratulations passing your exam 🎉