Climbing the Mortgage Mountain step by step

edited 20 October 2021 at 2:39PM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
211 replies 7.6K views

Replies

• savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    20K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I peeled the laminate off mine with DD, and sanded, primed and painted them (multiple coats) in 2020. It's a lot of work. I think I would begrudge the £1750 on one level - but on another - if it gave a professional finish and a new lease of life to your kitchen that's a good thing. Part of me wishes I'd gone that route - but it feels too late now...
    Target 1) Debt free April 22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit (started) 3) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF (at £2.2K June 22) 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 257 payments to go. Now £196,869. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
  • Hi All

@savingholmes, yeah you're right re the units, it is a lot of work and the company that quoted do a really good job repairing any damage etc, I just cant justify that amount at the moment.  I'll give a it a few months, get DD settled in Uni and see how that impacts on finances and re-assess at the end of the year.  My kitchen really isn't THAT bad, but I had actually ordered my dream kitchen when we first moved in, then DS unexpectedly announced he was going to attend Uni in central London and Ex announced he was unexpectedly leaving so I cancelled the kitchen!!

We had a lovely dinner last night, homemade pizzas using some frozen dough left over from using our pizza oven in the summer and lots of odds and ends from the fridge, an end of goats cheese, dregs from a jar of pesto etc, they were really yummy!  The night before we had jacket potatoes with tuna and sweetcorn, sometimes the simplest of meals are the most enjoyable.  I do big batches of jacket potatoes in the oven and then freeze them for a quick weekday meal as they are not the same done in the microwave.

Its been another full on week workwise and I'm looking forward to a relaxing weekend.  We are spending time with family and I will be going to try on my wedding ring tomorrow :smiley:  I'm really excited about that, if it's all ok they can then send it off to the Assay Office be hallmarked.  I think I may go in the hot tub this weekend, I've not been in it for about 2 months due to having my chest infection and although I still have a slight cough I think the heat, steam and menthol vapours might help, it will certainly help me to relax.

No spending planned this weekend apart from minimal groceries.  I'm partially working from home next week which will give me more opportunity to make meals from the odds and ends at home and sort through what is in the stores, there maybe some interesting experimentation....I'll keep you posted!.

Have a fabulous weekend everyone

MvTMM
    Current Mortgage (Nov 20- NOV 39) £130,999 (Interest only) NOW £116,650
    Over payments 2020 £750/£750 (Mortgage payments only start Dec 2020)
    Over payments 2021 £9,000 /£9,000
    Over payments 2022 £4,500/£9,000
    All Credit Cards cleared 
    Loan £7009, £237pm clearing Dec 2024 but aiming to repay by Dec 2023
    Savings (not including 'pots') £7450 (not inc DDs 18th birthday pot), aim to be debt neutral by June 2022 - achieved, just!  
    20K Posts
    Forumite
    Sounds like a lovely weekend. 
    Target 1) Debt free April 22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit (started) 3) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF (at £2.2K June 22) 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 257 payments to go. Now £196,869. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
  • South_coastSouth_coast Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Anything involving goat's cheese gets a thumbs up from me 😋!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • edited 24 January at 12:32PM
    Me_v_The_Mortgage_MountainMe_v_The_Mortgage_Mountain Forumite
    156 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 24 January at 12:32PM
    Hi All

Here we are, Monday Morning again! 

Had a lovely chilled weekend, DGD was as good as gold and we took her out for lunch and a spot of shopping, whilst in town I tried on my wedding ring, it's perfect and feels really heavy and solid compared to most others, it's gone off for hallmarking now.

We tackled a few problem areas yesterday including our huge airing cupboard which can become a bit of a dumping ground, I got rid of about 6 pillows and loads of other random bits and pieces.  The spare bed got a makeover with new sprung slats to replace the broken saggy ones and fresh bedding.  OH gave our shower room a deep clean as someone is coming out to look at the power shower (which has no power) and now DD has told me this morning that the mixer shower over the bath had no guts to it either this morning, but the water pressure from the taps is fine?  Foodwise we had lovely beef and stilton pies with chips and veg on Friday, Saturday we had brunch out with DGD and were too full for the rest of the day to eat anything else and yesterday OH made one of his lovely breakfasts and then we had pesto topped salmon, dauphinoise potatoes and green beans for dinner, all from stocks.

I'm working afternoons from home all this week so hoping to be a bit more organised with meals and a bit more creative to use up bits and bobs from the cupboards.  Having said that DD has requested her favourite of cottage pie tonight so not very exciting but will make use of some items from the freezer.  The next cupboards to sort out must be the kitchen ones and I might try and do that this week, we are gradually working our way around the house sorting and decluttering as we go.

I've just been checking on my clothes challenge, I started with £260 in October, this has to last until the end of this year, so far I have spent £60 and managed to replace my black chelsea boots and bought 'bridal' pjs, 2 jumpers, 2 GAP t-shirts, a maxi dress that can be worn all year round and a pair of smart Emma Willis joggers that can be dressed up or down, I'm pretty happy with that.  I have ordered lots of bits from the Next sale but apart from the mentioned items they have all got sent back.

One week until payday and I know we are ok for everything, just not much in the pot for frivolities!

MvTMM
    All Credit Cards cleared 
    Savings (not including 'pots') £7450 (not inc DDs 18th birthday pot), aim to be debt neutral by June 2022 - achieved, just!  
  • Fortune_SmilesFortune_Smiles Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Meal plans sounds delicious MvTMM 😋

Fortune x

Mortgage: 65% paid Mortgage Neutral: 65% Emergency Fund: 80%

Tales from the Shire
    All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us - J R R Tolkein
  • Hi All

My car insurance is due tomorrow, I had a renewal notice, not too bad £180pa fully comp, protected no claims and breakdown cover but I thought I'd see if I could beat it, my existing company couldn't do anything on the price but I found the same cover for £140pa plus £40 cashback, very happy with that.

Cottage pie made last night and there's enough left for tonight.  Hopefully have a rummage through the kitchen cupboards this afternoon and see what I can find for the rest of the week.

Other aims this week are to make contact with both Childs Trust Fund and Family Assurance re savings accounts for DD, she's turning 18 in the summer and will need the funds for Uni so I want to make sure everything is in order and it all goes smoothly for her.

Have a great day all

MvTMM
    All Credit Cards cleared 
    20K Posts
    Forumite
    Well done on the declutter. 

Great result on the insurance. 

Sounds like you are doing well on clothes. My clothes pots were fine until I decided to buy 2 pairs of trainers in the Jan sales. I love them though so can't regret it. It does mean I need to try and not spend anything more on clothes for a while.
  • Me_v_The_Mortgage_MountainMe_v_The_Mortgage_Mountain Forumite
    156 Posts
    Forumite
    Hi All

Happy Hump Day!

@Fortune_Smiles - The pesto topped salmon is delicious, very simple and a firm favourite in our house!

@savingholmes - if you love the trainers and they bring you joy then they are worth every penny, like you said you can always cut back a bit on other spends.  I'm trying to only buy things that I know will get lots of wear, for example I live in my black chelsea boots, they have a small wedge, are really comfortable and go with skirts and trousers so when the heels wore down I had no hesitation in getting another identical pair.

So we had the remaining cottage pie last nights with a tin of baked beans, warming comfort food at it's best.  I think I'll make a simple pasta dish tonight, using some of our tuna mountain and a courgette and aubergine that need using, that should feed us for 2 nights.  I'm thinking fish n chips on Friday as a treat to start the weekend, we can't do much this weekend as its OH's Saturday to work and I'm on call so I'll probably do a curry Saturday night and a nice roast on Sunday.

I got my payslip today, not sure why I get excited as it's always the same, I'm salaried with no scope for overtime we have to take TOIL for any extra hours.  However, I am excited for payday as my mortgage will be dropping below £120K!  I need to be strict with myself in February as things have gone a bit askew this month and I am going on holiday in March so need to have some spending money, everything else is covered and I sorted my travel insurance last night, again with cashback.

A friend came to look at the power shower yesterday and I don't know what he did (I don't think he knew either) but it now seems to be working ok again which is great as he said the only other option was a new shower and I'm sure this one is only about 4 years old so we'll see if it behaves it's self now.

Have a good day

MvTMM

All Credit Cards cleared 
  • Me_v_The_Mortgage_MountainMe_v_The_Mortgage_Mountain Forumite
    156 Posts
    Forumite
    Hi All

I'm absolutely shattered, yesterday did not go to plan at all.  I was supposed to be working from home from 12 onwards, I actually ended up in the office from 7.30am - 6.30pm without a break, got home, had to cook dinner, carried on fielding work calls and was doing a police statement at 1am!  Dinner therefore was pasta putanesca.  To be honest I was a bit annoyed that DD hadn't thought to cook anything as I had text to say I was going to be late, goodness knows how she's going to cope at Uni!

We randomly got paid yesterday, should be the last day of the month, I'm not complaining but it was a bit weird and unexplained!  I am ignoring it though and will do all of my payments on Monday as per normal.

Right, I just need to get through to lunch time when, hopefully, I'll be able to escape!

Have a good day all

MvTMM
    All Credit Cards cleared