Curbing the ridiculous

in Debt free diaries
764 replies 80.9K views

Replies

• RebeccaPearsonRebeccaPearson Forumite
    739 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @warby68 - yes that is probably very good advice.  We did think about getting cleaners for the flat but they are in short supply here and my friends didn't want to take the meter readings until after the cleaners had been in and it is all too much hassle.  At least at the other end there's plenty of space for us to leave boxes and unpack without pressure.  But I will speak with DH regarding it.
  • Scottiedog_3Scottiedog_3 Forumite
    255 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I would second paying for cleaning help. 
    Credit card One :£926.60( Oct 21 )(Nov 21 vet bill disaster), £999(Jan 22), £974(Feb 22)
    Credit Card Fl :£739.26 (Oct 21)£763 (Nov 21) , £590(Jan 22), £298(Feb 22)
    Savings target C.U.  £1000(£410 Oct 21)(£610 Nov 21)
    Savings target Bank £500  (£10 Oct 21) (£50 Nov 21)(£60 Jan 22)(£80 Feb 22)
    Credit Union loan paid off. Now for the funeral plan...
  • AlchemillaAlchemilla Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The movers might assemble your beds. Ours did, without being asked. Good thing I had planned a big tip.
  • edited 25 January at 11:04PM
    BellaLasagna2018BellaLasagna2018 Forumite
    183 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 25 January at 11:04PM
    warby68 said:
    Oh, we're not moving, just an observation - 6m or more is not uncommon here 
    You’re quite right. I’m in the north east. Accepted an offer on my property and got my offer accepted on another property beginning of October. Searches take between 10-12 weeks to 12-18 weeks depending on the council, and now we’re waiting for Land Registry to do what they have to do! The whole chain is held up with no end in sight! So frustrating! @RebeccaPearson I am very jealous of your quick purchase and move! (And happy for you!) 
    LBM: August 2006 - £12,568.49 ——  DFD: 12 March 2012
    MFD: 30 March 2019
     »The road to DF is long and bumpy » Greensaints 
  • RebeccaPearsonRebeccaPearson Forumite
    739 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Awww thanks @BellaLasagna2018 but sorry yours is taking ages.  Gosh, even though I sold a UK property last year I guess because I wasn't living in it, I didn't realise how long it took!  That is rubbish to wait that long.  I guess it is much easier here!

We need CHEESE AGAIN!!!!  I just do not know what we do with it.  And at least another litre of milk even though 2 were bought last night (well, that's just so I don't have to battle to get it up the steps with 2 kids tomorrow, otherwise it could probs wait until friday).  So I will get on way to car after work.

DH has run the figures and we are about 7k less than I thought - I have no idea how.  He says it's because I don't use spreadsheets.  I am hoping it is that, and not because he has made some "investments" without telling me.  It's ok as doesn't affect the purchase but annoying to be out by that much.
  • warby68warby68 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm curious, do you have supermarket deliveries where you are? We also consume a lot of milk. A once a week 'dairy' delivery sounds like it would be useful for you as it seems like you can never go out without needing milk, cheese or yogurt and it weighs a ton !!

Sorry you're £7k out - I'd need to get to the bottom of that if it were me. Glad it doesn't affect things though.
  • joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    14K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    @RebeccaPearson - try grating your cheese - it seems to go much further!  I use the small grate and as I need to limit dairy I never have more than 30g of cheese and the small grate gives a nice big pile of cheese!

With the milk, would it be worth keeping some Long Life in stock to use in an emergency, or even just for cooking?

• Scottiedog_3Scottiedog_3 Forumite
    255 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I buy ready grated cheese as the arthritis in my hands makes grating very painful. It's very popular in Scotland so I can't be the only one who finds it useful. @joedenise is right that it is easier to portion out and is very good for cooking. I now make toasted cheese by lightly toasting bread in the toaster, putting a layer of cheese on the bread, then zapping it in the microwave for about thirty secs. 
    Credit card One :£926.60( Oct 21 )(Nov 21 vet bill disaster), £999(Jan 22), £974(Feb 22)
    Credit Card Fl :£739.26 (Oct 21)£763 (Nov 21) , £590(Jan 22), £298(Feb 22)
    Savings target C.U.  £1000(£410 Oct 21)(£610 Nov 21)
    Savings target Bank £500  (£10 Oct 21) (£50 Nov 21)(£60 Jan 22)(£80 Feb 22)
    Credit Union loan paid off. Now for the funeral plan...
  • edited 26 January at 10:44AM
    QueenJessQueenJess Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 26 January at 10:44AM
    If it helps, we were spending an average of £125 a week until very recently (this is what happens when DH is in control...).  I am slowly bringing it down and expect to get under £100 a week soon (this month is about £105 a week including all food, cleaning stuff, soaps, toilet paper etc).
    I'm sure I could do lots more, but there is plenty I refuse to give up that is more expensive - like my organic veg/fruit box etc.  I find if I really concentrate on it, I can bring it down, but as soon as I'm too busy (or leave it to DH!), it goes right back up again.
    I'm assuming you don't have much space where you are at the moment, but when you move, a big freezer is a must for batch cooking/saving food etc.  I did swap to Aldi for pantry basic stuff which I know you can't do, but I'm sure there is still some stuff you are able to do or able to do a bit more like making sure absolutely nothing goes to waste, batch cooking, making use of loyalty schemes (including credit card ones?), go ys shopping (if possible), down shifting some items, making things from scratch etc.  Plus your growing your own plans should help too.
    However, it does take time and you are very short on that right now, so I would just give yourself a break and accept it is expensive for now and start tweaking when you can in the future.
    A milk delivery sounds like a good idea for you (if possible).  I'm a fan of home delivery as it saves me so much time and I'll gladly pay up to £5 for the convenience of that!  You can get slightly longer life milk (the filtered ones) if you have room in the fridge to store that much and you can freeze (although I have never done that).
    August 2022
    NSD 1/12