30 hours

in Child support
8 replies 271 views
jimrobbo2jimrobbo2 Forumite
38 Posts
10 Posts Name Dropper
Forumite
From January i started sending my kids to nursery which is funded by the 30 hours. We are still having to pay although technically we are only using around 23 hours. I don't want to rock the boat but how can this be the case?

Replies

• kimwpkimwp Forumite
    976 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    You probably need to provide more details to get a helpful answer here. The 30 hours is 30 hours a week for term times, if your child is in over school holidays then that could come to more than the averaged out 30 hours. 
    They're not really funded for the 30 hours, they get way less from the government than they would have charged and it's also optional whether they do it. 
  • pramsay13pramsay13 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As Kim says you need to provide more information or ask the nursery for it if you don't have any more.
    You might be paying for holidays or paying extra for food / snacks. 
  • jimrobbo2jimrobbo2 Forumite
    38 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    kimwp said:
    You probably need to provide more details to get a helpful answer here. The 30 hours is 30 hours a week for term times, if your child is in over school holidays then that could come to more than the averaged out 30 hours. 
    They're not really funded for the 30 hours, they get way less from the government than they would have charged and it's also optional whether they do it. 
    I see, so because we send them to private daycare, it is the difference? They are in much less that is all and I thought that it would be rolled over? It is only about £180 for 2 twins which is obviously a steal, it just didn't make complete sense. 
    38 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    pramsay13 said:
    As Kim says you need to provide more information or ask the nursery for it if you don't have any more.
    Thank you, I did consider it to be the snacks but thought if this was the case it would have been more as it is a relatively good nursery and offer very varied meals. The nursery has been good to us on days when we have had to have emergency childcare, so don't really want to accuse them of asking what the extra money is for if you get what I mean... 
    38 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    pramsay13 said:
    Thank you, I did consider it to be the snacks but thought if this was the case it would have been more as it is a relatively good nursery and offer very varied meals. The nursery has been good to us on days when we have had to have emergency childcare, so don't really want to accuse them of asking what the extra money is for if you get what I mean...
  • kimwpkimwp Forumite
    976 Posts
    Forumite
    jimrobbo2 said:
    kimwp said:
    I see, so because we send them to private daycare, it is the difference? They are in much less that is all and I thought that it would be rolled over? It is only about £180 for 2 twins which is obviously a steal, it just didn't make complete sense. 
    I don't think they are allowed to charge you the difference between what they would charge and what they get for the government. I'm just pointing out that 30 hours free childcare is not what it could appear to be i.e 30 hours a week all year where your children are looked after and all their needs met and you pay nothing for it. You don't have to accuse the nursery, just ask them. Pretend your accountant needs to know if you need an excuse.

• kimwpkimwp Forumite
    976 Posts
    Forumite
    Apparently they can charge for meals, nappies, trips etc, so it's probably for those.
  • pramsay13pramsay13 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    If you are unsure just ask for a breakdown. It doesn't need to be confrontational and it doesn't need to be an argument.