Power of Attorney - nightmare process? Costly?

I acquired POA in respect of my father some ten years ago but have forgotten the process and of course things may have changed. My other half and I now wish to get POA for both finance and health in respect of each other. Ideally I'd want a solicitor to take the work out of my hands but have been quoted a truly sky-high figure for this by my usual guy.

If I take the process on myself, can I look forward to massively complicated and costly form filling/correspondence?

Replies

• p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    10.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    You can download the forms to see what's involved here
    Each application costs £82 to submit, so as a couple you are looking at £328 even if you do it yourself (I believe there is a discount if you are on a low income).
    I think one issue I've heard of from reading these boards is that if you make a mistake on the submission such that the application is rejected, then you need to pay a fee again to resubmit them.  

• PennylanePennylane Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It is very easy and straightforward to do on the Govt site. I was quoted £1200+ by solicitors so I did my Mum’s for £164 (both parts).  Each step is explained as you work your way through and if you need to double check anything, you can ring up. 
  • kipsterno1kipsterno1 Forumite
    127 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Another vote for doing it yourself. I found it very straight forward with an excellent how to guide.
  • I should have expected that you can do it online these days. Is there anything in the online process which implies having to go away for hours/days to find out or research things, such that you lose the page(s) or the information you've already submitted?
  • JGB1955JGB1955 Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I should have expected that you can do it online these days. Is there anything in the online process which implies having to go away for hours/days to find out or research things, such that you lose the page(s) or the information you've already submitted?
    Although the forms are filled in online you have to print out a physical version, so all the signatures and witnesses are 'real'.  My daughter managed to mess up the date of her signing the form/it being witnessed.  No charge for it to be re-submitted.  It has been suggested that all signatures should be witnessed on the same day - just to avoid that complication.

Whether they are actually done on the same day ......... well, who knows?
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2022 - £1 a day challenge £700/£730
    #2 Saving for Christmas 2021 - £1 a day challenge £828/£638.
    #36 Saving for Christmas 2020 - £1 a day challenge.... £634/£366..
  • bjbyorkshirebjbyorkshire Forumite
    468 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just done the finance one for husband and myself.  At first it does look daunting but in fact it’s really easy to fill the forms in.  Get everyone to sign on same date if at all possible and USE A BLACK PEN.  I made the mistake of thinking I had a black pen ready when in fact it was a very dark blue so I just re printed 2 pages again and my certificate provider re signed them.

Can I ask is it better to put all the pages into an A4 envelope or fold them into an A5.  This may sound a bit stupid but I have often had A4 envelopes ripped when our the postie has rammed it into the letterbox.  If the office in Birmingham sent them back do they fold and use A5 envelopes does anyone know.

Thanks
  • Spacie22Spacie22 Forumite
    24 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    My mother's was returned in an A4 envelopeabout 4 months ago.

Just to note it's not "if" they send them back. They will send the original document back becasue that is the LPA and you need the original if you ever have to use it.
  • bjbyorkshirebjbyorkshire Forumite
    468 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sorry for the confusion caused,  that was just my Yorkshire terminology, not proper grammar.  “When they send them back”,  I know they will send the original back.  Just a bit worried that if I fold the pages in half to put them in an A5 envelope the powers that be could say they are creased and not fit for purpose.  

Hope the OP doesn’t think I’ve hijacked their thread.  Hopefully it is useful info for them.

thanks
  • elsienelsien Forumite
    27.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I should have expected that you can do it online these days. Is there anything in the online process which implies having to go away for hours/days to find out or research things, such that you lose the page(s) or the information you've already submitted?
    We printed off the blank forms then parent made notes and had a good think about what she wanted over a few weeks before she did final version, In the end she decided that rather than overcomplicating the LPA, we’d discuss her wishes and she’d trust me to do what she wanted.
    There’s a couple of preferences such as being kept at home for as long as possible, but we decided on the whole less was more. Too much scope for putting something in without thinking through all the implications otherwise. 
    There was one mistake where she overlooked signing a page but it was an optional thing so she decided to leave it out rather than pay to submit everything again. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • DoshwasterDoshwaster Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think one issue I've heard of from reading these boards is that if you make a mistake on the submission such that the application is rejected, then you need to pay a fee again to resubmit them.  

Yes, make sure that you double and triple check the forms - and get someone else with a good eye for detail to check it too - we missed one signature off one of the forms for my mum and it was rejected so we had to pay again to resubmit.