Question 7. IHT436. Claiming RNRB

Hello
Want to claim what we know is 100% of my mothers unused RNRB.
Mother died in 2003, her entire estate passed to my father who recently passed away in 2021.
She did not leave any instructions in a will to give anyone but my father any of her estate.

We have IHT form IHT436 which states:
Complete questions 7 to 15 if no RNRB was used on the estate of the deceased’s spouse or civil partner
Question 7 asks what was the Total net value of spouse or civil partner’s estate before exemptions or reliefs.

We are struggling with this question. From what we know my mother only had joint savings with my father, they jointly owned the house they lived in. At best her only real personal assets would have been her jewellery and a life insurance policy that would only pay out upon my fathers death.

I am saying that her estate was in fact zero value, but am I correct in that assumption?
The taper threshold is £2,000,00 and even if she did have assets they certainly would not be anywhere near that figure, so isn’t the value of her estate (if there is one) irrelevant?

‘Value of the taper threshold at the spouse or civil partner’s date of death (go to note 4 page 3)
If the value at question 7 is less than the value at question 8, enter 100.0000% in box 13 and go on to question 14. If the value at question 7 is more than the value at question 8 continue to question 9

Anyones help would be appreciated, thank you 

Replies

• Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    11.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    That is an incorrect assumption, for IHT purposes her estate consisted of her share of their joint assets plus her chattels. 

What is the approximate value of your fathers estate? 
  • Brad6271Brad6271 Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    That is an incorrect assumption, for IHT purposes her estate consisted of her share of their joint assets plus her chattels. 

Thank you, approx value £850,000
  • Keep_pedallingKeep_pedalling Forumite
    11.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Brad6271 said:

Thank you, approx value £850,000h
    The most difficult task for you is going in to be estimating the value of your mother’s estate back in 2003, but as your fathers’s estate is well under £1M whatever  figure you come up with is not going to prevent you having the full transferable allowances and is not going to be challenged by HMRC so just do the best you can.

• Brad6271Brad6271 Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    Brad6271 said:

Thank you, approx value £850,000h
    The most difficult task for you is going in to be estimating the value of your mother’s estate back in 2003, but as your fathers’s estate is well under £1M whatever  figure you come up with is not going to prevent you having the full transferable allowances and is not going to be challenged by HMRC so just do the best you can.

Yes, that’s what I thought, just don’t want to give HMRC any excuse to reject anything.
    Many thanks.
  • Goodcitizen1Goodcitizen1 Forumite
    9 Posts
    First Post
    Forumite
    I am also completing this form and will struggle to provide the reference of my father's probate application and the value of his estate from 22 years ago. What should I put? If I contact HMRC will they be able to give me the reference?