Curbing the ridiculous

in Debt Free Diaries
758 replies 80.2K views

Replies

• moving_forwardmoving_forward Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Moving is super stressful and on top of kids and everything else you are dealing with you need to be kind to yourself.
    Remember your a human not a robot. 
    Dedicated Debt Free Wanabee 🤓
    Proud member of the Tilly Tidies since 1st Jan 2022
    2022 -Jan £26.52, Feb £27.40, Mar £TBC
  • RebeccaPearsonRebeccaPearson Forumite
    734 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks MF - I do need to try to remember to be kind to myself.

MIL has just taken DC1 for most of the day and I've just put DC2 down.  Hoping he will have a significant nap but of course, I've just put laundry in the dryer and now about to wash up his bottles/cup and unload dishwasher before I sit down for any meaningful rest.  Also need to phone Drs PA for my ECG/blood test results but can't face that yet............
    1.5K Posts
    Forumite
    Even 5 minutes of rest closing your eyes and drifting will help. Easier said than done.
    Make a list evaluate what's necessary, what can wait a day, a week, or can be crossed off. Tick off as you go. It's amazing what you actually achieve rather than thinking about everything not done. Gives me a boost to see I do do stuff I just can't do it all. 
    Also leave it lying around incase hubbie feels like helping 🤭
    734 Posts
    Forumite
    Those are very good tips MF!

Well, I just did a reccie of our credit card versus what we have in the account we put the cash we've spent on it into and what is needed from DH for this month and I made a mistake but in a good way in that we actually have £98.78 extra - not quite sure how that's happened, maybe with christmas and refunds etc and I don't use spreadsheets(!) much to DH's annoyance, but am not complaining as that's almost £100 extra in the pot.  We also came in about £170 under this month's budget (though not the reduced budget I had tried to set us) but this was only due to the car service and the amount of work required, otherwise it would have been well under.

We do still have the tyres to get - they will now be out of this month's budget - and DH has just bought himself some shoes (£36) and DC1 will need some new shoes this month.  We are also going to measure DC2's feet and hope that he fits into DC1's old shoes, otherwise he will need some too.  If he doesn't, will try and sell DC1's old shoes (not sure if will be much for them) to go towards them.

Was a NSD yesterday but won't be today.  I am still full of a cold and WFH as our rules are that you can't go into the office if you have any symptoms.  Will go out at lunchtime to shop to get food for tonight and some of our weekly staples so that I don't have to go to that particular shop tomorrow.  

Have now received the water bills - need to go through them and work them out/pro rata them but I think it might be over £1000 we owe for gas and water as we've only had 1 gas bill from landlady since we moved in and no water bills (well, we got one but couldn't understand what she was saying).  Luckily we have always put money away in a "bills" account for all of our bills so that has mounted up to about £2800 as we've not had to pay any so we have it there available - I do wince at the figure though!  Will be so glad to get out of this flat and have control over our own bills again.
    734 Posts
    Forumite
    £32.75 in M&S - no idea how it all adds up, well, I do, but everything just seems SO costly.  Bought: 2 x pizzas, mozarella sticks and breaded mushrooms (on the meal deal of £10 for all - will do 2 meals), for the DC: raspberries (£2.25), bananas (£1), apples (£2.60), satsumas (£2.90), fromage frais sqeezys (£3 for 8 - to be fair, they don't normally get these as it's cheaper to decant yoghurt into a little pot for nursery), for DH and I 2 x choc eclairs (£2), 2 x yumnuts £3.50), for all: 2 x cheese (£4.20 for 2).  When we move, there is an already established orchard, and with our fruit growing, our fruit costs should come down a lot.  It's important the DC have fruit though - DC1 has meltdowns if things aren't the same so we can't do frozen for him - probs could for DC2.

Got to do rest of big shop tomorrow.  We just can't seem to get far below £100-120 a week here (because there are added costs for the CI and things like milk and bread are a lot more expensive).

Got title report back - another boundary issue(!) but we are forging ahead because we think the chances of it ever becoming a problem are low and if it does, we will deal with it at the time.  Boundary issues are quite commonplace here.

Tonight DH and I are watching Ozark new series, probs will only manage 1 episode before I fall into bed as exhausted.

Went through new house bills before - we have spotify, sky, netflix and prime.  I am going to try to persuade DH to drop sky - we only now really use it for cricket in the summer and his chances to watch it will be much less in the new house given how much work the garden needs!!
  • AlchemillaAlchemilla Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks for the reminder about Ozark. 
    734 Posts
    Forumite
    As expected - 1 episode and bed!  Not that we slept well, it's DC1 mainly now, wanting to be in our bed or "go in the lounge", with at least 1 wake up a night from DC2 which results in nappy change and water.  Just wish they'd both blinking sleep!  It's exhausting!

Am still not well - this cold doesn't seem to want to shift so not much has been achieved today.  Well I've done the shop but the less said about that the better and we still need to go to another shop today because the shop I went to didn't have everything.  Need to go to B**ts also for cheap handwash and DH wants earplugs as I am apparently snoring lots.

Time just seems to be dragging.  4 whole more weekends in this flat.  4 whole weekends.  It is just taking SO long.

Got buildings/contents quote yesterday - 1200!!!!!  Will ring round others on Monday as that's 3 x what we were paying in our last house (and this house isn't 3 x the value).  Luckily we had budgeted 200 a month for life insurance but it's costing us just over 89 so the remainder can be used to cover the house insurance.

DH seems on board with cutting down.  Which is good.

And my best friend from home has been in contact today, we've been friends since we were 14 but rarely see one another as life took me away from my home town and I rarely go back.  We usually keep in touch by What's App but don't really speak.  I last saw her briefly in 2018 when we were leaving my parents to come back.  Anyway, we've decided to FT once a month starting 21 Feb (as we will have moved by then so I will be able to do it without disturbing anyone) - not quite sure why we've never thought to do this before, but am glad we have because I miss her and we are always there for one another in times of need or in times of joy - just rubbish at keeping in touch!
  • BlackcatsBlackcats Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Well done with the budgets and very well done for putting the water/energy bills money to one side ready to settle the account.  
    The waking up co-ordination skills of 2 little children are amazing - I always wondered how mine could so consistently stagger their waking up times and how many times my eldest "accidentally" woke up my youngest 🤷‍♀️.

734 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks @Blackcats - waiting to have a call with friend's husband re final amount for water, but I make it about 677.  Then the gas is not looking right to me because the december bill is very low for the last quarter of the year when you would expect it to be much higher due to the heating - so I've raised that with him - want to make sure we pay our way.

Oh I know, it's like they have had a pact before bedtime as to how to best cause most sleep disruption during the night!  Another classic last night - think we were up 5 times between them.

My cold still hasn't gone so under work rules, if it hasn't by tomorrow, I can't go into the office again which is frustrating as I really want to.  Surely I'm not infectious now as it's the back end of the cold?!

Filled car with petrol today - as it already had some in, I think it was about £53.  DH spent money on wine (on offer already at a much reduced price then if you buy 6 you get another 5% off - worked out at 4.77 a bottle and it's one we love so was worth stocking up whilst price low), mustard and 2 lots of soup (1 carton we split for lunch with toast today and 1 we will have for lunch another day).

I made butternut risotto last night and there's enough left over (frozen now) to do another meal for both of us.  DH is making shepherds pie for tonight with left over spuds, left over parsnip and I bought cheap baked beans (apparently you rinse the sauce off and add them to bulk it out), carrots and onions to add in, along with some chopped tomatoes and stock.  Am hoping he tops the mash with cheese - but again, should be leftovers.  This means that now we also have next weekend (our weakness when it comes to food), sorted: pizza and mozarella sticks from the £10 deal on friday, leftover butternut risotto sat and leftover shepherds pie sunday.  Though whether we actually have room in the freezer is another thing.....

Spoke to my boss friday as had my end of year and mentioned I might like to increase my hours to 35 once DC1 starts school (sept 2023) - she said she can make a case for that and I could finish at 2/215 3 days a week to collect them and do  2 long days (MIL would collect 1 day, DH the other) - this would really help in terms of the monthly costs, especially because I am rather concerned at this cost of living crisis, plus our pensions are rubbish.....
    1.5K Posts
    Forumite
    I always add baked beans sauce and all to Sheppard's pie always have. Add a splash of worcs sauce too