My journey to a debt free life

in Debt free diaries
6.7K replies 361.8K views

Replies

• maggiemmaggiem Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Fingers 🤞🤞🤞and toes crossed this other company stalls a new boiler for you this week OBL. It's horrid being cold especially when you are not well. 
  • Sun_AddictSun_Addict Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Keeping everything crossed for a new boiler very soon 🤞 They sound promising anyway 🤞
    Christmas Savings 2022 £417.76/£600
    August NSD: 6
  • Sunshine_girl2Sunshine_girl2 Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    OBL I am sorry to hear about your boiler saga , it must be affecting your health as well. Fingers crossed for a quick outcome this week. 
    I hope work is calming down a bit for you . 
    Debt free April 26th 2021

• OnebrokeladyOnebrokelady Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Feeling slightly more human today 🎉🎉🎉which is good news because while my brain was keeping me awake last night I remembered that the boiler people will need to get onto the roof and the monster bay tree is in the way of where their ladder will have to go 🙀so I'm off out in a minute to give it a drastic haircut. Wish  me luck because it's currently as tall as the house 🙀 luckily I have good extendable loppers and a big ladder so should be able to get to it all

I just took B up to the fields for a good walk and we were accosted by a pack of lurchers that were off lead. There were five of them and they were all playing fighting with each other which lots of snarling and biting going on, of course as soon as they saw B they all made a bee line for her, the owners were just laughing and inefficiently calling them away in that tone reserved for naughty toddlers that you can't control. I put B behind me but she still managed to lunge at one of them. Why oh why don't people keep their dogs away from a dog on the lead who is clearly not happy being surrounded by a pack of out of control dogs, I swear next time this happens I'm just going to let her decide how it plays out and I can guarantee they won't like the result 😡

Anyway enough moaning which is all I seem to do nowadays,I'm off outside to attack the beanstalk 🌳 
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £4,954.23 Owed = £12,675.77
    Emergency Fund = £640 Xmas savings = £0
    House Fund = £0
  • Sun_AddictSun_Addict Forumite
    16.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    This is what annoys me when I walk my dog, other dogs off lead always make a beeline for her, then their owners always seemed shocked when my dog snaps at theirs 🤬 
    Christmas Savings 2022 £417.76/£600
    August NSD: 6
  • amber03amber03 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Love going to a laundrette, ah the smell. They aren’t that close to me but on the occasion that I have needed to visit one I’m in my element. Me and my friend would love to open one. I know I’m sad.xx
    :j Debtfree and and staying that way.:j
    3-6 month emergency fund, No.61 £105.45
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    This is what annoys me when I walk my dog, other dogs off lead always make a beeline for her, then their owners always seemed shocked when my dog snaps at theirs 🤬 
    It's really annoying isn't it and like you say they act all upset when your dog snaps at them. It's also sad because I've done a lot of work with her this year about not reacting to other dogs and she has come along in leaps and bounds but that encounter today will set her back again 😡
    House Fund = £0
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    amber03 said:
    Love going to a laundrette, ah the smell. They aren’t that close to me but on the occasion that I have needed to visit one I’m in my element. Me and my friend would love to open one. I know I’m sad.xx
    Not mad at all, I also love the smell of the launderette although I've never thought of opening one, I think they should all have a coffee shop attached so you can grab a coffee and a cake while your washing is in the machine 😀
    House Fund = £0
  • Deni_debt-free_dreamerDeni_debt-free_dreamer Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Not mad at all, I also love the smell of the launderette although I've never thought of opening one, I think they should all have a coffee shop attached so you can grab a coffee and a cake while your washing is in the machine 😀
    A few years ago, I had to use the launderette for about 8 months as i couldn't afford a washing machine, the owner started offering me a cuppa tea as i spent so much time there !!
    LBM - October 2018; finally debt free on 16 March 2021 !
    NST August NSD 3
    2022 Mortgage Free Wannabee #81
    2022 Decluttering Campaign member
    6.1K Posts
    Forumite
    I've had a very productive afternoon out in the garden, I even had to take my coat off as I was wearing the jumper I knitted and it's so thick and warm. The tree is now half the size it was but my loppers weren't up to the job so up the ladder I went with my hand saw, the hand saw I've got looks like it wouldn't be good for anything but it went through that tree like a knife through butter, it's designed to be used one handed too so I can swap hands if I need to. 

I had a really good clean up while I was out there and now the side of the patio that joins the house is clean and tidy, I got rid of most of the excess garden rubbish but there is still a small pile on the other side to move but I will do that in the week along with sweeping up the rest of the leaves. The roof is now easy to get to and more importantly there is no longer a route up into the loft for whatever was running around up there,I still think it was a squirrel it sounded to big to be a rat, I just hope it's not in the loft today because it won't be able to get out now 😀 I haven't heard any movement up there so hopefully it's gone. It's also easier to get at the kitchen window for cleaning now so I will get that done this week, I could always clean it but had to dodge branches or risk being poked in the eye.

Im working tomorrow 9- 5 so won't be doing anything house wise but I'm off on Tuesday and Wednesday. The boiler people are coming at 8.30 on Tuesday to have a look at the job and I'm hoping and praying they will be able to fit me in on Wednesday 🤞🤞🤞I am going to my mums on Tuesday afternoon for a haircut  and a catch up.

Wednesday will be spent doing more bits in the garden mainly because it keeps me warm and if they are doing my boiler it will keep me out of the way

I am going to have to be Uber frugal now this has happened so I can rebuild my emergency fund and carry on sorting the house out, I still need to sort the kitchen floor which was going to be the next job but that money has now gone towards the boiler. I have had a rude awakening this week in realising that my emergency fund was woefully inadequate, I had budgeted for repairing the boiler but not replacing it. I'm going to have to give up the idea of cutting my long day down to an 8 hour day because I won't be able to afford it now I need to save like crazy. It would have been lovely but I need the money. 
    There are still some bits I need to finish in the house that I already have the bits for like painting the front hallway but my bedroom makeover will not be happening and the bathroom will have to wait again 

All in all it been a positive productive day and now I'm off to bed 😴😴
    House Fund = £0