The second hurdle - Nichelette v the huge mortgage

Replies

• edited 19 January at 9:07PM
    NicheletteNichelette Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 19 January at 9:07PM
    @Nichelette - I think I know how DH feels - a decent house in a nice area can lull you into a false sense of security. Positivity is all well and good, but even those of us with ok jobs need to plan sensibly atm. I was on a very similar path until I returned to diary keeping and all the lovely forumites told me to extract my head from my rear end  :disappointed:

We're expecting a second child soon, luckily I still have access to childcare vouchers, so am not *too* worried about nursery costs. Still, even 2-3 days a week is about £500 for us (Glasgow suburb)
    I definitely think it's easily done. When he moved down here he was on his uncles floor, no driving licence (or car), needed a new job, didn't really have a lot. He was very fortunate to eventually get a 1 bed HA flat and has worked his way up in his job, learnt to drive etc. What we have now is markedly different to what he had 10 years ago. Fortunately he recognises that I'm the sensible one so we both get an allowance for fun stuff and he lets me look after everything else financially. He's not bad, but I think every now and again he gets annoyed at me telling him to turn lights off and so on because he's earned the right to be a bit profligate. 

Congratulations! Nursery costs are hideous here. He's only going to be going 3 days now as my sister kindly offered to help with the other two, but that's still £850 (pretty standard). We qualify for the VAT free childcare but that has a cap so I think it will still work out at less than 20% off overall. Unfortunately he was born in early April too so he'll be nearer 3.5 by the time we qualify for any free hours too :s:

I think you are doing well and are right to carefully manage the budget. Glad you have set up a water direct debit. I hate surprise bills
    Thanks Saving. I don't think we're doing too badly. I keep forgetting but we've also got 2.2k in the emergency fund (plus 1k for Chunky, not for spending but there if we really desperately needed it). 

Today has actually been a no spend day. Woop. I say that, DH went to the gym and was in Sainsbury's earlier so I'll see if he comes back with anything that needs to go on the food budget. Current food spend this year is £70. My cupboards and freezer are groaning. It's not bad, but honestly I know it could be lower because we have so much stashed away. I'm terrible and always overbuy. I don't waste much, but definitely overbuy hence stuffed freezer. I'm better sending DH with a list as he will stick to it, though sometimes he comes back with questionable things. Once I asked for salad tomatoes and he came back with organic vine ones at about 4x the price  :|. Anyway, am going for a walk with one of my work friends who had a baby end of September tomorrow so hopefully another NSD. 

Need to get chunky a new highchair soon so I'm on the lookout for a used wooden hauck one that basically has no weight limit. Failing that I think it will be stashed Amazon vouchers to the rescue. 
    Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £223,405.95 - Savings in Vanguard £2,200 (give or take, mostly take nowadays..)
    MFW #86 - aiming for 5k in 2022
    Overpayments since 27.03.19: £42,066.45
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    20K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Sounds good. Good luck with finding the chair you want. Good you have an EF too.
    Target 1) Debt free April 22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit (started) 3) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF (at £2.2K June 22) 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 257 payments to go. Now £196,869. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
  • edited 24 January at 6:18PM
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 24 January at 6:18PM
    Quick update for accountability. 

Current food spend for calendar month is £88. Honestly could probably be lower but not bad. Might try keep it under £100. Freezer still rammed so only really needing fresh stuff. I'm catching bargains on checkoutsmart and shopmium when they're there. Got two lots of veggie mince, 12 sausages and 4 burgers all free for freezer. I cook most of our food from scratch and made a lasagne earlier for tonight using free mince and finally finished one of the 3 packs of lasagne sheets (DH bought one thinking I'd asked for it and sister is now GF, she gave me a pack so I ended up with 3). I sit chunky in his highchair and talk him through what I'm doing as I go. At the end I said 'and that's how to make a lasagne' and he started to clap so at least someone was impressed 😂.

Discretionary spend (including food £88) for month now at £301. Again not bad but still think we can do better next month. Sold something on vinted so £15 in. 

I'm trying to use up our consumables as I'm a bit of a hoarder. I stocked up on even more body stuff whilst I was on full pay so plenty of that left, also got 4 trays of chopped tomatoes as use loads and saw they were going to be affected a lot by inflation and we have 40 toilet rolls. To be fair that's a normal Costco sized pack, but it takes 2 people a while to work through 😂.

Successful NSD the other day as I parked and walked when I met my friend. Her baby is so little! She's 6kg at 16 weeks, and although obviously you'd expect a girl to be a bit smaller, chunky was 7kg at 8 weeks. I know he's huge but it really brought it home seeing them together! 

Don't even want to look at gas and elec meter. Elec was over £20 for the week yesterday even avoiding using the oven. Grateful for warmer winters than when I was younger purely in terms of gas bill, though obviously the bigger picture is concerning. Paid £60 off mortgage just so something has been OP'd this month. 

Vanguard money in negative return now but not hugely bothered as it's for the long term. Final KIT days on Thursday and Friday then one day in March I needed to push nursery out another week. I have enjoyed my working days. Honestly they feel like a rest, though I know once I'm back FT I will be annoyed as hell with it and want a new job again. I definitely think I'll miss chunky too. Realistically during the week I'll only have about 6.5 waking hours with him which is incredibly sad. I do want to work too but wish it could be PT. Unfortunately unless they would consider a job share I couldn't do my job PT or even compressed hours because of the nature of it. Anyway, probably best just to deal with it when I actually have to. I know that the best thing for the long term is to continue until we can move as we'll need the biggest mortgage we can get.

Finally bought a home
    Starting mortgage £289,500 31.01.19 - Current outstanding £223,405.95 - Savings in Vanguard £2,200 (give or take, mostly take nowadays..)
  • NicheletteNichelette Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Ooh. Just realised we've nearly overpaid 40k 🥳. I'm definitely going to have to hit that with next month's bumper pay 😁
    Finally bought a home
    20K Posts
    Forumite
    Always interesting reading your updates. Congrats on teh OPs - phenomenal.
    Target 1) Debt free April 22 Target 2) Lose weight & get fit (started) 3) Write regularly 41426/70000 words Book 2 4) Develop passive income streams 5) Get to £3K EF (at £2.2K June 22) 6) Declutter 7) MFW starting at £201999 Nov 21 with 264 257 payments to go. Now £196,869. 8) Mortgage neutral progress (via private pension starting value c£3643 Nov 21) extra payments £312 including tax relief
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    Quick update whilst chunky is sleeping. Not sure of current food spend. I have receipts but need to tot it up. Ended up going over the £100 but still not terrible. Got a few new outfits for chunky from tesco with the 25% off. They have some lovely bits in there. Also bought him some celtic pyjamas for husband's benefit as they were only £3.50. Will have to buy him a new arsenal outfit soon 😁. He's in 18-24 months now 🤦‍♀️. 

Car was serviced and I need two new front tyres, water bill going this month and husband's car insurance. There's always something!

We just about get the council tax rebate as we're in band D. Not complaining but I expect that will only cover whatever they will put it up by. Feel a bit bad for my sister as she's the only one in my family who won't. They're on one income as she has ME and own 25% of a 3 bed semi. I know they have to cut it off somewhere but they're struggling too. 

Still trying not to buy if I can avoid it. Think the news about the price cap has finally resonated with DH a bit who proudly told me he's turning lights off now. Halle-bloody-lujah.

Got another 6 packs of free veggie stuff. Thanks to shopmium.

Vanguard briefly went slightly positive yesterday but is now negative again 😂. I'm hoping the increase in the base rate dampens HPI a bit or we'll never move. Nationwide calculator suggests our house is worth about 360k now which is ridiculous 🙄. Really wish they'd look at stamp duty rates (aside from scrapping them entirely and making everything go mental) because that will really hamper what we can afford to move to too. 
    Finally bought a home
  • edited 9 February at 3:43PM
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    edited 9 February at 3:43PM
    Been spending up last few days... 

Two new tyres paid for this morning and booked in for next week. £125 plus £5 cashback. Reasonable tyres so not too bad. Need to book an MOT for my car still too.

DH car insurance also paid for now. £184 and hopefully £50 cashback coming too. Am still waiting for uplift on house and car insurance paid for in December as it tracks as £0 then updates, but as it has tracked think it should be okay.

Finally just waiting for water bill to go on payday. 

Unexpectedly I did this thing as I was part of a data breach and I've been awarded £475 compensation. I was expecting maybe £50 or so if I was lucky. I do feel a bit dirty though tbh because I hate stuff like that and if it was just the two of us I probably wouldn't have done it. In the end I did the provident one too but mostly because I think they're exploitative and wrong in what they did to people. 

Have lost track of spending where I got behind 😖. I'm going to resume on the 15th when we're paid and try to do better. We're not doing too badly with unnecessary stuff but have maybe been a bit lax with food recently. 

Had to get ibuprofen earlier as I ran out and think chunky is finally getting teeth (he was 10 months on Monday) but they were on 2 for £4 in boots and I had enough points to get them for free 🥳. Small pleasures 😂. He's so lovely but he's doing my head in because all he wants to do is walk and he's so grizzly when he's not standing (and also grizzly when he is). When we were out walking earlier he kept waving at everything like the queen 😂

One of my dad's dogs has to be put to sleep on Friday so I'm going with him so he's not alone as everyone else is working or too far away. Not really looking forward to it because I'm not good with actually being present, but I don't want him to be alone either as those dogs are his world. 
    Finally bought a home
    20K Posts
    Forumite
    Sad about the dog. 

Well done on the points win. Hope Chunky feels better soon. Great news on the £475.
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    So what was supposed to be super payday is more like average payday because they've currently done me out of £4-500ish. Possibly less if it's the SMP that is messed up, but I really can't see how what has happened is correct. 

Having got £0 last month (exc the bit of tax rebate) I assumed that covered the 4 weeks of unpaid and was just due to his birth date and the way payroll dates fell as we have 12 pay periods per year, so one pay period is a bit over 4 weeks.

Apparently not, because they have also only paid me for part of this month. I have queried this and they claim it is correct, so by that logic I've had 4 weeks as unpaid, but am down a full month (a 12th of the year so more than 4 weeks), and however many days for the current month. 

They claim this is something to do with SMP and not being a full week at the start of Jan but I don't really understand it to be honest. HMRC website says it runs from the same weekday to the same weekday so I'm not convinced. It doesn't matter if it is a weekday or bank holiday because this is factored in to our salary. We're salaried and as I say have 12 pay periods a month. I feel like they are basically saying the weekly SMP and monthly salary aren't compatible with each other and therefore I'm getting less than expected. 

In my Jan pay I got £0. I think it is probably the SMP that was screwed up so I'm probably down less than I thought as I'm only on full holiday pay from early Jan and won't get a full month this month like I assumed having got nothing last month, but either way I really don't see how this can be right. 

Dog is being pts later so I'm not really properly focused on what is going on, but I will look properly over the weekend before I reply to payroll. I think I'm going to email my manager too to see if it's just me. 

Finally bought a home
    20K Posts
    Forumite
    Doesn't sound right. Hope you get it sorted. Thank Goodness you have savings