Banks don't need our money any more....

RG2015RG2015 Forumite
3.9K Posts
Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite

Banks don’t need our money anymore! What does this mean for savings accounts?

https://www.fool.co.uk/personal-finance/your-money/learn/banks-dont-need-our-money-anymore-what-does-this-mean-for-savings-accounts/

Well, perhaps not at the moment and not for while.

Basically, what the article says is that mortgage demand is down, so banks don't need money from savers.

This does make some sense although individual banks (and building societies) may have a short term shortfall that could result in an increase in some savings rates.

Overall though it sounds like there won't be much joy for savers for a while yet.  

Replies

• edited 15 January at 10:19PM
    ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 15 January at 10:19PM
    Banks haven't relied on retail deposits for a very long time. Building societies don't have the same abilities to raise deposits as banks. Though there's relatively few of any size left now. 
  • AlbermarleAlbermarle Forumite
    12.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Most of the smaller banks that usually have the best rates , are not primarily lending on residential mortgages.
    Normally SME lending/finance or things like car finance plus some BTL and commercial  mortgages.
    So hopefully they will still need our savings to fund their activities.
  • SallySunshineSallySunshine Forumite
    787 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Just spent 15mins trying to open a joint  Gatehouse 1 year Woodland account.
    Initial password, 3 security question/answers, another for telephone security. x 2
    usual name address, tel. no's, bank sort code, acc. no etc.
    Get right to the end and guess what?
    Haven't passed their security identification.
    Its like going back years, getting a bank employee signing a verification letter to say I'm a customer.
    Or from a solicitor.

Looks like its back to my other accounts to deposit this maturing account. Less interest but certainly less hassle.
    15 mins of my life I won't get back.
    I'm going to ring them tomorrow probably won't get anywhere but it'll make me feel better!

• london21london21 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The interest rates are terrible. 

Many years ago, Santander offered 3% interest now like 0.3%.

Better off investing in lower risk funds than putting in the bank. 
  • happybaggerhappybagger Forumite
    378 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I struggle to see how some building societies maintain their funding base. Inertia must really be a thing.

Pretty much every account at mid-asset societies Hinckley and Rugby BS and Leek United BS pay 0.1%, and neither have done anything after the base rate rise.

On top of that, Beverley BS wrote to me reducing my rate. Accounts at all three have been closed.
  • Interesting, re my previous post, rang Gatehouse this morning to withdraw my application giving the reason re signed verification from bank etc. was just too archaic.
    Was told just photocopies of necessary identification would be enough, and that the website would be updated to show that.