Ruby's Bought a House, Now I want to Own It!

Replies

• ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Following on from the chats with friends, we've also been talking about our life insurance policies.  As DH has some health issues, our choices are very limited so we've been talking to a broker.  Said broker has been very insistent that we need salary protection in case we get sick "because how will you manage if you're off sick for 6 months".  He was quite surprised when I said that we both get 6 months full sick pay (yay public sector) but also that we have 6 months of mortgage or bills payments set aside (or 3 months of both), and if worst came to worst I'd raid the various savings pots and we'd have another £25k to fall back on.  I know he's trying to get his commission payment up but he did seem genuinely surprised that we've actually thought about things like this - and I'd rather put the £20 a month you want to charge me into my S&S ISA where it will give me a better return than what you're offering 😆

This week I've managed to make £20 on Prolific and earn a £5 starbucks giftcard on Microsoft Rewards and then work are giving us all £45 to spend on some vouchers which is very nice of them; just need to decide which company I want to cash them in with.  Can't decide between M&S or H&M as the choices are fairly limited 🤔  Also only have a half day at work today (in lieu of a Christmas do) so might pop to Aldi early to pick up a few bits (Christmas tree crumpets are calling my name 😆)
    Emergency Fund - £6857.08 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £6205.55
    LISA 22/23 - £1038 :: NSD August - 4 / 20 :: Books Read: 36 / 52 :: Decluttering - 365 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ooh, "Consistency and Simplicity" - I like it 👍! I also like the focus on being healthy and happy. I switched my focus to diet and exercise this year instead of the more ephemeral "lose weight", and hey it's worked! Much better to concentrate on the actions rather than the outcomes, just wish I'd realised that sooner 🤦‍♀️!
    Same!  Would have saved me a lot of added stress!
    Emergency Fund - £6857.08 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £6205.55
    LISA 22/23 - £1038 :: NSD August - 4 / 20 :: Books Read: 36 / 52 :: Decluttering - 365 / 365
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • debtfreeonedaydebtfreeoneday Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Same here. Less focus on losing weight, more on healthy eating and moving and I dropped 2 stone without really trying. 
    DFW (08/08) £64,346.53 Gone for good (02/19)
    MFW (01/15) £48,680.02
  • themadvixthemadvix Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Merry Christmas Ruby! Hope you have a lovely time x
  • Fortune_SmilesFortune_Smiles Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Merry Christmas Ruby.  Hope you have a fabulous time.

🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

Fortune x

Mortgage: 67% paid Mortgage Neutral: 67% Emergency Fund: 76%

Holding On and Letting Go
    Knowing when to let go is just as important as knowing when to hold tight