Name Spelling Error

I bought my house back in the 1990s when ID checks were minimal. My birth name e.g. is Mary Ann Kerr but grew up being called 'Maryann'. School (late 60s to early 80s) had me on register as Maryann. I was surprised when I went to enrol at uni with my birth cert in hand; that's when I realised my legal name was 'Mary Ann'. Uni didn't care so a couple of years it was a single name and last 2 years as on birth cert.
When I bought the house I'm in now, I told the bank - name on birth cert is x x but people call me xx. She said that's ok, we'll put on xx. That's what's on my Council Tax and utilities.If I open a new savings bank account, will this name 'error' cause an issue?


  • edited 25 November 2021 at 12:12PM
    DaliahDaliah Forumite
    901 Posts
    500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 25 November 2021 at 12:12PM
    For any account with a financial institution, you should use the name shown on your photo ID (passport / driving licence) as you may have to provide a copy of your photo ID to them.

    You should also check how you are registered on the Electoral Roll, and with the Credit Reference Agencies, as these will be used to identify you electronically. Best if they are also in line with your photo ID as otherwise electronic ID verification might fail and you would have to go through extra procedures when opening accounts.
  • SensorySensory Forumite
    317 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    When you purchased your house, what documents did you provide (to the solicitor/bank) to prove your identity, and what name was on those documents? Use those same types of documents to open a bank account.
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Might be a good idea to go into a branch with your ID to get it sorted.  Very likely they can add a note of the alternative spelling/layout.  Worse case scenario you will get caught out at some crucial time wanting to send or receive a payment and not be able to do so as the data protection regs have become too secure.  Even worse when you die no one will be able to sort things out as the death cert and ID won't match the account.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • SensorySensory Forumite
    317 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Essentially what's on your birth certificate doesn't really matter if the name on your current passport/driving licence matches the name in government/financial databases.
  • edited 25 November 2021 at 12:59PM
    PoGeePoGee Forumite
    138 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 25 November 2021 at 12:59PM
    I spoke to my solicitor about it when making adjustment to my will, getting POA done and getting deeds to property when I paid off mortgage. He always puts on the will Mary Ann aka Maryann and did the same with the POA. He said it doesn't matter when I kick the bucket. 
    I provided my passport with name as x x, when I bought the house in 1990s. The mortgage adviser said - we'll put it down as what people know you as. Wish I'd objected.
    On Electoral Roll, it's as on passport/ driver's licence/ NI card (the old white card we used to get)/ NHS card (tan coloured one from 1960s)/ tax office/ work/ professional registration i.e x x
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid pass scam robbed grandfather of £25k

He got his money back after MSE intervened

MSE News

20,000 FREE Ideal Home Show tickets

For London, Fri 11 Mar to Sun 27 Mar

MSE Deals