Bright Daughter But Sometimes...

2»

Replies

• olgadapolgaolgadapolga Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Or is it because today's youngsters just aren't taught 'practical' things ?
    Lad next door has a MSc in Physics - but struggles with even the simplest of household tasks. 
    To be fair, I wasn't taught practical things, I learned most things myself, through necessity and trial and error. Including household tasks and everything financial, from mortgages to paying bills.
  • anotheruseranotheruser Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    MalMonroe said:
    Hi, I am not trying to be disrespectful in any way but has anyone ever considered that your daughter could suffer from ADHD? It's very difficult to recognise and diagnose and adults can have it. 
    Being diagnosed isn't going to help either.

Too many people seem to be desperate to have something to say they are rushing in life and not getting things correct and "they can't help it" - but then many people see this as selfishness (not bothering to care bout things properly) or laziness (not bothering at all).

You say you'v been diagnosed with ADHD.  Has that changed your life?  While it may be a reason you are like you are, I should think it hasn't changed anything in your life.

This thread has got away from the main point though, but I guess it's fairly obvious:

OP:  Tell your daughter to slow down and make sure things are right next time.  The more she realises the consequences to her actions are impacting negatively, the more she will slow down and wise up.
    If I don't provide specifics to a question, don't ask for them in your answer.
    When I want specific answers, I'll provide the information.
  • theoreticatheoretica Forumite
    10.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    MalMonroe said:
    Hi, I am not trying to be disrespectful in any way but has anyone ever considered that your daughter could suffer from ADHD? It's very difficult to recognise and diagnose and adults can have it. 
    Being diagnosed isn't going to help either.

I know a number of people where being diagnosed helped significantly - on a purely practical note it directed them to all the coping strategies that exist and other people had worked out rather than needing to reinvent them, and many things that affected them they hadn't thought about or realised.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • ceh209ceh209 Forumite
    863 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    I saw the thread title and thought 'Is my mum posting on here?' because your daughter seems just like my sister!! Despite being a doctor and therefore supposedly highly intelligent, last year she crashed her car on her own driveway whilst I was in it and wrote it off. Need mine and OH's help to work out how to sell the car for scrap, and then had the cheek to complain she'd have to stay at home on one of her days off for it to be collected.

She then struggled to hire a temporary car, and test drive or buy a new one, because she had lost her driving licence. She knew she had lost it, but thought it might turn up because they'd recently got a new changing bag for her child and thought it might have been left in the old one... despite the old one having been thrown out.

She then struggled to get a replacement driving licence, because her passport had expired. She knew her passport had expired, but since they weren't going abroad... 

I got fed up at this point and stopped listening about how she eventually solved this problem!
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Take a cake to No 57, apologise for your gormless daughter, and ask that they pass any mail to you.

Otherwise, No 57 may appear on these boards saying that " a neighbour is using their address instead of her own, and they are concerned about her motives".
    A good idea yes but the OP shouldn't be the one to do it, the daughter should be the one doing it.
  • Manxman_in_exileManxman_in_exile Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    PoGee said:
    I would have been fine about it but when she went to pharmacy to get a migraine painkiller that pharmacists can issue without a GP prescription, they put her address down as 57 Blobby Avenue with a WRONG dob, saying 'that's what we have on our system' (DOB and address). GP has correct address and DOB so don't know where pharmacy got the misinformation from. It's a type of job that requires background checks so that certificate may well have gone there also but cannot get daughter to check this out with Disclosure people.
    If identity fraud does happen, I'll be the one that has to sort it out.
    What has the pharmacy having the wrong dob and the (same) wrong address for the daughter got to do with the daughter giving prospective employers the wrong address?  Surely they are unconnected?

Personally I'd be more worried about the pharmacy having the wrong info on "their system" than I would be about the daughter giving the wrong address to employers.  At least you know why the latter has happened but you haven't a clue why the former has...
  • AzariAzari Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    PoGee said:
    Mind racing - she's probably done it for all 20 applications but I get the - 'you think I'm stupid' dramatics.
    Why on earth would you think she's done it 20 times? Those would be the actions of an idiot.

You seem to have a low opinion of your daughter.

It's actually very easy to get the wrong item from a drop down list as the mouse invariably moves as you press the left button to select and that occasionally causes the wrong selection to be made.

The important piece of advice (which she has probably figured out for herself) is that when entering important information, ALWAYS check it, preferably twice. (With figures it's a good idea to read the digits backwards from the screen and check with the original source to avoid the 'seeing what you expect to see' syndrome).

I'd ignore all the ADHD nonsense and just make sure your daughter has learned her lesson and checks thing. We all make mistakes (apart for some regular posters on here who are, apparently, perfect). The important thing is to catch them.
    There are two types of people in the world: Those that can extrapolate information.
  • PoGeePoGee Forumite
    189 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Azari said:
    PoGee said:
    Mind racing - she's probably done it for all 20 applications but I get the - 'you think I'm stupid' dramatics.
    Why on earth would you think she's done it 20 times? Those would be the actions of an idiot.

You seem to have a low opinion of your daughter.

It's actually very easy to get the wrong item from a drop down list as the mouse invariably moves as you press the left button to select and that occasionally causes the wrong selection to be made.

The important piece of advice (which she has probably figured out for herself) is that when entering important information, ALWAYS check it, preferably twice. (With figures it's a good idea to read the digits backwards from the screen and check with the original source to avoid the 'seeing what you expect to see' syndrome).

I'd ignore all the ADHD nonsense and just make sure your daughter has learned her lesson and checks thing. We all make mistakes (apart for some regular posters on here who are, apparently, perfect). The important thing is to catch them.
    You're stating the obvious here. The conversation about being careful has already been had. My daughter is the apple of my eye - premature and low birth weight, a much loved child that very nearly did not make it so you are talking out of your know what. 20 applications - that's the approximate number of voicemails left by companies asking her to get in touch as they couldn't get a hold of her by letter... I wonder why?!