edited 10 August 2021 at 7:10PM in Site Feedback
22 replies 607 views

Replies

• thingamaBobthingamaBob Forumite
    21.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Search doesn't work at all now. Takes forever then gives this error

Search service: cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 25000 milliseconds with 0 bytes received (see https://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-errors.html) for https://int-yul1-vanillasearch-prod1-elasticsearch.v-fabric.net/{{idx:category}},{{idx:discussion}},{{idx:comment}}/_search?ignore_unavailable=true

Working OK for me following the steps I posted above.
  • remote_controlremote_control Forumite
    598 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I can't seem to search the competitions board like we used to a couple of years ago, it seems to search the whole site. I used to search the board e.g. 'holiday'.

For me, it means I cannot easily use the competition forum any more
  • thingamaBobthingamaBob Forumite
    21.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have tried the search function and managed to figure out the filtering to search a certain category as above.  But if I click on a post, when I've finished looking at that, if I want to go back to search results, I click "back" on my browser and it resets everything and deletes my criteria. 

Is there a way of going back to my search results, so I don't lose what category and everything I want to look at?

Sorry if I've not explained that very well!  I can't see the changes as an improvement at all. 
    Instead of just clicking on a result to open it you need to open it in a new tab. 
    Have you read through the thread in Compers Chat Corner? A number of problems highlighted (including this one) and a few tips.https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6289028/new-search/p1
  • edited 7 September 2021 at 3:07PM
    KeithPKeithP Forumite
    30K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 September 2021 at 3:07PM
    I have tried the search function and managed to figure out the filtering to search a certain category as above.  But if I click on a post, when I've finished looking at that, if I want to go back to search results, I click "back" on my browser and it resets everything and deletes my criteria. 

Is there a way of going back to my search results, so I don't lose what category and everything I want to look at?

Sorry if I've not explained that very well!  I can't see the changes as an improvement at all. 
    You have explained the problem very well.

It is a reasonable expectation that when using the browsers back function, one is taken back to the previous screen.

If, for example, one uses Google to search for anything then we are usually presented with a long list of possibilities.
    Clicking back returns us to the search results list, not back to asking for all the search criteria again.

In other words, it would certainly be good for this forum's search facility to retain all search arguments that have been previously supplied by the user. It makes little sense to do otherwise.

In fact, all it needs to do is redisplay the previous screen when back is clicked. Instead it takes a significant time processing the 'null' search arguments and showing a results list which is of no interest to anyone.
  • BluluBlulu Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I agree. I do get that some here use work arounds to get, more or less, what they want from the search. I am not savvy with things like that and I don't use search enough to get used to work arounds. I need it to be simple to use, to get the right results and to be able to sort those results in useful ways. I wish it followed the standard searching from popular sites like Google, as KeithP says above.

MSE-Laura-F has posted an update here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/78588430/#Comment_78588430

Blu XXX
  • MSE_JamesMSE_James Community Admin
    324 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Cashback Cashier Newshound!
    ✭✭
    You should find that using the 'back' button to return to a search results page works better now. 
    Official MSE Forum Team member.
    Please report all problem posts to [email protected]
  • MSE_Laura_FMSE_Laura_F Community Admin
    598 Posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Hello @westv. Thank you for this. It's one of the glitches our Product team is aware of and I'm waiting on an update to find out when it can be sorted. We'll make sure to post as soon as we hear of any progress.