What Small Things Will You Do This Week? 27/09/21

in Debt-Free Wannabe
49 replies 1.1K views
Bagpuss741Bagpuss741 Forumite
2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
✭✭✭

When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation.  These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free. 

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.   
So be proud of those small steps, they really are important 😀

Tesco £1027.99, Vanquis £858.59, Very £625.00, Next £1958.02. As of 04/11/21

Replies

• edited 27 September at 9:42AM
    carrielovesfantacarrielovesfanta Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 September at 9:42AM
    Morning folks

@Bagpuss741 - thanks for staring us off. Petrol situation here (Merseyside) seems fairly reasonable. Asda devoid of fuel on Sat night when OH filled up but he was able to get £30 at BP which gave us a full tank. Should be fine for this week as I'm not going to the office so not much driving required.

Bit of an easy-ish day today. Gym first thing, suffering for it now. Should be working today but very little to do. Might do some reading etc. Will probably sit at my laptop and kint :joy:
    I'm off tomorrow, then taking my normal "weekend" wed-fri so easy week here.

OH had a horrible gig last night. Reckoned that most of the wedding guests were fuelled by white powder... culminated in a man (who OH estimated was in his late 60's - so old enough to know better) taking umbridge to the fact that the band couldn't play Hotel California or You'll Never Walk Alone at his sudden request. He chosen to vent his frustration by kneeing the singer in the back - or as I put it to OH - he assualted him! Singer is fine and man was swiftly dealt with by security but still, poor chaps. Not a nice situation to be in. 

Today's small things:
    :star: B/L/D from stores.
    :star: Poss a bit of dusting if I can be bothered
    :star: Trainers on the dehumidifer as we got soaked this morning running!
    :star: Be extra nice to OH as he's very tired and worn out

Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £17000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • carrielovesfantacarrielovesfanta Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    @jadewest94 - argh! noooooo! (sorry I didn't see your post before, I think we cross-posted)
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £17000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • DawnWDawnW Forumite
    6.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Afternoon all :)
    Thanks for starting the thread @Bagpuss741
    Sorry to hear of further fish tank woes @jadewest94
    And your OH's and his band's nasty experience @carrielovesfanta - honestly, some people!!
    Well, fuel is really hard to come by here in the SW, people really concerned that they can't get to work, get kids to school etc. Not sure about panic buying stories. Surely people can only buy what fits in their tank??? We are going to use the car as little as possible, but I do need to go to the dentist's on Friday, and we have a few days away booked for the weekend after next. Wonder if we will manage it?
    Today I have / will:
    Walked dog this morning (and will again shortly)
    Folded clean washing and put it away (yay, no ironing)
    Hoovered and dusted first floor
    Cleaned bathroom
    Mended a pair of OH's trousers. I dislike sewing, and find it increasingly difficult with my arthritic thumb joints. Sounds funny, but isn't!
    I need to make apple crumbles but can't at the moment as the cooker cover is down and it is covered in huge, triffid like chilli plants. This is because OH is doing some plasterboarding in the conservatory. The firm who replaced it earlier this year left some awkward small bits where the measurements for the new conservatory were slightly out >:) if that makes sense, and didn't make them good. Cue much bad language :#
    Also need to check the banks.
    Tonight's dinner will be frittata, when I can get to the cooker to make it.

• jadewest94jadewest94 Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Haha thank you @DawnW, going to leave it another night so it's fully sealed. We noticed that the stand it's on has a bow in the middle so we think that's why it's leaking. This is the tank in question! 

Pay off all your Debt by Christmas 2021 Number 66 (£1843.30/£6193.30)
    Surveys 21/22 Goal £400 by December 2021 Currently at £684.40 
    3 - 6 month Emergency Fund Challenge (part 2) - #57 £37. 62/£500 January 2022 

Aqua £400
    Vanquis £400
    Likely Loans £850 
    118 Money £2000 
    Five Lamps £700

Total debt £6193.30 at the very start of DFW Journey.
    Current debt £4996.33 

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6231115/time-to-start-a-fresh#latest
  • Chopchop55Chopchop55 Forumite
    19 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    Evening all

Hope everyone is well i have been around just busy.

@jadewest94 thank you so much for the survey and free food apps i am addicted! 
    Sorry to hear about the fish tank not sure if youve tried but how about bathroom sealant maybe?

I did write a big post then lost it. Seriously not impressed!

Trying to be good but struggling.
    Ive finally done an excel spreadsheet with costings. Given myself a budget of £80 a week shopping but aiming for £60 but some weeks it cant be helped depending on what i have in! 

Tomorrow's plan:
    Lsd, birthday card and wrapping paper.
    Work in the morning 
    Club with dd which is already paid for.
    Do a load of washing already in the washing machine ready to be put on tomorrow before work.
    Thats about it really! 

Not much else to report il try and come bk tomorrow or Wednesday morning :)

1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all

Hope everyone is well i have been around just busy.

@jadewest94 thank you so much for the survey and free food apps i am addicted! 
    Sorry to hear about the fish tank not sure if youve tried but how about bathroom sealant maybe?

I did write a big post then lost it. Seriously not impressed!

Trying to be good but struggling.
    Ive finally done an excel spreadsheet with costings. Given myself a budget of £80 a week shopping but aiming for £60 but some weeks it cant be helped depending on what i have in! 

Tomorrow's plan:
    Lsd, birthday card and wrapping paper.
    Work in the morning 
    Club with dd which is already paid for.
    Do a load of washing already in the washing machine ready to be put on tomorrow before work.
    Thats about it really! 

Not much else to report il try and come bk tomorrow or Wednesday morning :)

Haha glad you enjoy!!

The thing is, you have to use aquatic safe sealant cos it could kill the fish otherwise. My OH paid £15 a tube!! 

Aqua £400
    Vanquis £400
    Likely Loans £850 
    118 Money £2000 
    Five Lamps £700

Current debt £4996.33 

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6231115/time-to-start-a-fresh#latest
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Morning all!

To do today:

Phone relevant CCs and lower payments as I want to pay smaller debts off first 
    Drink 2 litres of water 
    Freezer shop 

Aqua £400
    Vanquis £400
    Likely Loans £850 
    118 Money £2000 
    Five Lamps £700

Current debt £4996.33