Nationwide free travel insurance to end 31st December 2021 boo hoo/good riddance

edited 3 September at 12:37PM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
53 replies 2.7K views

Replies

• MACKEM99MACKEM99 Forumite
    269 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    badger09 said:
    We will definitely miss it. Both in our 70s with several health problems. When I got quotes for a special (expensive) trip in early 2020, I couldn't find comparable cover anywhere near as cheaply.

We also had to claim in 2018 when I was hospitalised in Thailand & husband also needed daily medical treatment. Apart from from the middle of the night calls because they couldn't fathom the time difference - we didn't have too many problems.

We'll almost certainly 'upgrade' before the deadline in order to eke out another 12 months cover ;)
    What do you mean by upgrade?
  • DaliahDaliah Forumite
    648 Posts
    500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    MACKEM99 said:
    badger09 said:
    We will definitely miss it. Both in our 70s with several health problems. When I got quotes for a special (expensive) trip in early 2020, I couldn't find comparable cover anywhere near as cheaply.

We also had to claim in 2018 when I was hospitalised in Thailand & husband also needed daily medical treatment. Apart from from the middle of the night calls because they couldn't fathom the time difference - we didn't have too many problems.

We'll almost certainly 'upgrade' before the deadline in order to eke out another 12 months cover ;)
    What do you mean by upgrade?
    There are various upgrades you can pay for, such as worldwide cover. You can see a full list here: https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/help/travel-insurance-flexaccount#summary-cover-limits
  • ExodiExodi Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I prefered not knowing this, now I feel wronged that large sweeps of people have free travel insurance!
    Know what you don't
  • ZandermanZanderman Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Exodi said:
    I prefered not knowing this, now I feel wronged that large sweeps of people have free travel insurance!
    Well, maybe not that many people.

It was only for those who had FlexAccounts and paid £750 in monthly, hasn't been available for new FlexAccount holders for some time now, so it's only people with legacy FlexAccounts that still had the freebie.

And they're losing it now too. 

But if you feel wronged my best suggestion is to continually review what's on offer with bank accounts so you don't miss out on these things   It wasn't being kept secret!
  • badger09badger09 Forumite
    9.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vortigern said:
    WillPS said:
    badger09 said:

I thought the cover only covered European destinations?
    It could be extended to Worldwide for a small premium.
    Precisely. 

We didn't upgrade late last year as we had no intention of travelling far this year, due to COVID uncertainty, house move & minor surgery. However, next year is another biggie for us, so we might very well need travel insurance. For us, its worth the risk of wasting the upgrade cost. 
  • ObeorthObeorth Forumite
    465 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Zanderman said:
    Exodi said:

It was only for those who had FlexAccounts and paid £750 in monthly, hasn't been available for new FlexAccount holders for some time now, so it's only people with legacy FlexAccounts that still had the freebie.

But if you feel wronged my best suggestion is to continually review what's on offer with bank accounts so you don't miss out on these things   It wasn't being kept secret!
    Or the Building Society should have phased it out for everyone to make it equitable for all.
    Instead, they quietly continued provided it to existing FlexAccount holders - who likely are of an older demographic. 
  • edited 10 September at 7:12AM
    ZandermanZanderman Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 September at 7:12AM
    Obeorth said:
    Zanderman said:
    Exodi said:

Or the Building Society should have phased it out for everyone to make it equitable for all.
    Instead, they quietly continued provided it to existing FlexAccount holders - who likely are of an older demographic. 
    I'm not sure Exodi (who I was replying to) felt wronged because some FlexAccount holders had travel insurance and some didn't.  I assumed they simply felt wronged because they had never realised this benefit had ever been available. I was simply pointing out that it was, probably, never a huge number of people benefitting.
  • ObeorthObeorth Forumite
    465 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Zanderman said:
    Obeorth said:
    Zanderman said:
    Exodi said:

I'm not sure Exodi (who I was replying to) felt wronged because some FlexAccount holders had travel insurance and some didn't.  I assumed they simply felt wronged because they had never realised this benefit had ever been available. I was simply pointing out that it was, probably, never a huge number of people benefitting.
    I wonder if the hushed up nature was deliberate on Nationwide's part - you are effectively making two classes of FlexAccount holder / member and second class don't even know that their lacking something that others are being provided for free. 

It's doesn't seem consistent with equal membership ethos but then Nationwide isn't what it used to be.
  • edited 12 September at 3:40PM
    wmb194wmb194 Forumite
    624 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    edited 12 September at 3:40PM
    Obeorth said:
    Zanderman said:
    Obeorth said:
    Zanderman said:
    Exodi said:

I wonder if the hushed up nature was deliberate on Nationwide's part - you are effectively making two classes of FlexAccount holder / member and second class don't even know that their lacking something that others are being provided for free. 

It's doesn't seem consistent with equal membership ethos but then Nationwide isn't what it used to be.
    I wouldn't say that it has an, "equal membership ethos." For quite some time Nationwide has had tiers of membership e.g., its 'loyalty' savings accounts that pay/paid a higher rate of interest the longer you'd been a member. Continuing to offer the insurance to members with this account before a certain date fits with this. Anyway, it's now moot.
  • kuratowskikuratowski Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    And that's the same thing Nationwide did with their select credit cards too - existing holders kept their cashback even when it was no longer on offer to new cardholders.  Until they finally canned it.