Nationwide free travel insurance to end 31st December 2021 boo hoo/good riddance

edited 3 September at 12:37PM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
53 replies 2.7K views
1356

Replies

  • ZandermanZanderman Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zanderman said:
    keiran said:
    Just so that we're all clear - Can we stop the monthly £750 payments  NOW but continue to benefit from the free European travel insurance until the end of the year?

    I've not seen any suggestion that this would be the case.  Why would it be?  The original stipulation was that (quoted from an old MSE help page on this):
    • To keep the insurance going after activation you must pay in at least £750/month and tell Nationwide if anything changes with your medical situation.
    Just because they're ceasing the cover from December doesn't mean the conditions for qualifying for the cover need no longer be met.

    Unless someone has seen specific reference to this need being scrapped I would assume the £750 still has to be paid in monthly if you want active cover.  No need after December, obviously, as they'll be no cover anyway then.
    Anyone who has seen the post above yours will have seen the 'specific reference' as will those who have looked at the relevant part of the Nationwide website:  https://www.nationwide.co.uk/current-accounts/help/travel-insurance-flexaccount
    If you look at the two posts you'll see mine was posted at the same time (within a minute) as the 'one above mine' so your implied suggestion that I must have missed something is a little out. It wasn't there when I composed what I wrote.

    But I must thank EarthBoy, who posted the post above mine, for answering the query I was raising in the post below his.  
  • JoseChungsDoomsdayJoseChungsDoomsday Forumite
    822 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Gutted to see it go. I travel to the EU quite a lot and it was handy to have as it also included cover for one pre condition and one medication. 

    I used the account as my bill account anyway so it was no real hassle. Might look elsewhere now 
    :santa2:
  • MACKEM99MACKEM99 Forumite
    270 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    I spoke to a nice lady at NW and the reason given is that not many have used the insurance in the last 2 years!!!!!

    Dohhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • hillcatshillcats Forumite
    898 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Naturally the £13 fee will now be reduced for those of us losing out on a paid for benefit?? 

    ORIGINAL MORTGAGE AMOUNT £106,454.00 (Started Sept 2007)
    FEB 2020 O/S AMOUNT £2,179.86 OUR DEBT REDUCED BY £104,274.44By Std Regular, Over-Payments & Off-Setting.
    BofE +0.19% Tracker Repayment Offset Mortgage Discounted Sept 07-10 then increased to BofE +0.62% until 2027
  • ZandermanZanderman Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    hillcats said:
    Naturally the £13 fee will now be reduced for those of us losing out on a paid for benefit?? 

    You're not though, are you?  This is a benefit being removed from FlexAccounts, not FlexPlus accounts.
  • hillcatshillcats Forumite
    898 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Zanderman said:
    hillcats said:
    Naturally the £13 fee will now be reduced for those of us losing out on a paid for benefit?? 

    You're not though, are you?  This is a benefit being removed from FlexAccounts, not FlexPlus accounts.
    Ah, have I completely misunderstood this? 
    So no changes to FlexPlus account at all??
    ORIGINAL MORTGAGE AMOUNT £106,454.00 (Started Sept 2007)
    FEB 2020 O/S AMOUNT £2,179.86 OUR DEBT REDUCED BY £104,274.44By Std Regular, Over-Payments & Off-Setting.
    BofE +0.19% Tracker Repayment Offset Mortgage Discounted Sept 07-10 then increased to BofE +0.62% until 2027
  • badger09badger09 Forumite
    9.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    hillcats said:
    Zanderman said:
    hillcats said:
    Naturally the £13 fee will now be reduced for those of us losing out on a paid for benefit?? 

    You're not though, are you?  This is a benefit being removed from FlexAccounts, not FlexPlus accounts.
    Ah, have I completely misunderstood this? 
    So no changes to FlexPlus account at all??
    The thread is about Nationwide FlexAccount. Older accounts still retained the benefit of free/cheap travel insurance not available to newer account holders.
  • edited 7 September at 5:59PM
    badger09badger09 Forumite
    9.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 September at 5:59PM
    We will definitely miss it. Both in our 70s with several health problems. When I got quotes for a special (expensive) trip in early 2020, I couldn't find comparable cover anywhere near as cheaply.

    We also had to claim in 2018 when I was hospitalised in Thailand & husband also needed daily medical treatment. Apart from from the middle of the night calls because they couldn't fathom the time difference - we didn't have too many problems.

    We'll almost certainly 'upgrade' before the deadline in order to eke out another 12 months cover ;)
  • WillPSWillPS Forumite
    808 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    badger09 said:
    We will definitely miss it. Both in our 70s with several health problems. When I got quotes for a special (expensive) trip in early 2020, I couldn't find comparable cover anywhere near as cheaply.

    We also had to claim in 2018 when I was hospitalised in Thailand & husband also needed daily medical treatment. Apart from from the middle of the night calls because they couldn't fathom the time difference - we didn't have too many problems.

    We'll almost certainly 'upgrade' before the deadline in order to eke out another 12 months cover ;)
    I thought the cover only covered European destinations?
  • VortigernVortigern Forumite
    3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    WillPS said:
    badger09 said:
    We will definitely miss it. Both in our 70s with several health problems. When I got quotes for a special (expensive) trip in early 2020, I couldn't find comparable cover anywhere near as cheaply.

    We also had to claim in 2018 when I was hospitalised in Thailand & husband also needed daily medical treatment. Apart from from the middle of the night calls because they couldn't fathom the time difference - we didn't have too many problems.

    We'll almost certainly 'upgrade' before the deadline in order to eke out another 12 months cover ;)
    I thought the cover only covered European destinations?
    It could be extended to Worldwide for a small premium.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides