edited 3 May 2020 at 12:05AM in Old Style MoneySaving
11.2K replies 678.1K views

Replies

• BrieBrie Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy anniversary @Brie 🥳

well, we didn’t have the Tomahawk last night, DH had been building a new patio area in full sun, and fell asleep after 1 beer (I did warn him re: sun, and the beer, so he had a sandwich late evening and I had some chicken thighs.

The steak is now being BBQ’d today 😍
    Ta!

I might have been tempted to pop the steak on the bbq while he was asleep. 

"Steak?  What steak?  Oh dear!! Do you think you got sunstroke??  Best pop along to bed poppet!!  I'm sure you'll feel better in the morning!!!  I'll just check the patio lights are off....."  (munch munch, munch)
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    kerri_gt said:
    @C_J do you look like you've just murdered a Smurf 😳
    Yes! Papa Smurf is probably hunting me down as we speak, to wreak retribution. The aubergine curry smells gorgeous, so it was all worth it.

I hardly ever get YS bargains as I usually shop early on a Friday morning - clearly mid-morning in a Saturday is far more rewarding (*makes a note).
  • arielgirlarielgirl Forumite
    430 Posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Fri night didn't feel great literally ate one potato tot. Yesterday I had cheesy pasta with chicken thigh. Then went out LATE at 10pm for cocktails. I haven't gone out that late in ages so made a lovely change. Today ordered hangover kfc and neither of us are really rushing to eat it to be honest. Therefore I've decided to go down the healthier sensible option and actually make a dinner. Lamb steaks, mash, broccoli. Upon typing this I'm not sure if I have a sachet of cheese sauce to make broccoli cheese sauce, hope so. 
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brie said:
    Happy anniversary @Brie 🥳

well, we didn’t have the Tomahawk last night, DH had been building a new patio area in full sun, and fell asleep after 1 beer (I did warn him re: sun, and the beer, so he had a sandwich late evening and I had some chicken thighs.

The steak is now being BBQ’d today 😍
    Ta!

I might have been tempted to pop the steak on the bbq while he was asleep. 

"Steak?  What steak?  Oh dear!! Do you think you got sunstroke??  Best pop along to bed poppet!!  I'm sure you'll feel better in the morning!!!  I'll just check the patio lights are off....."  (munch munch, munch)
    Who, sir, me sir, no sir 🤣🤣🤣😂🤣
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don’t speak with your mouth full! 🤣

• goldfinchesgoldfinches Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Happy anniversary @Brie :)

Jolly well done on the bargains @C_J - your aubergine curry sounds scrumptious. May I ask for the recipe for the marscarpone, mushroom, shallot, garlic and truffle oil pate please? It sounds right up my street and I have a glut of shallots to use up.

@kerri_gt - your "murdered a smurf" comment is making me giggle, brilliant.

I made these onion bhajis for dinner and managed to use up two onions and quite a lot of mint doing so Onion bhajis recipe | BBC Good Food and everyone in the comments is right about doubling the spices and adding cumin, coriander and garam masala. I didn't bother to photograph them because they looked just like every other onion bhaji I've ever seen and I'm sure you all know what they look like as well.
    I had a rather overripe mango to follow with coffee.

Politics
    , n. A strife of interests masquerading as a contest of principles.
    The conduct of public affairs for private advantage.
    from The Devil's Dictionary
    by Ambrose Bierce

Mice killed this week: 5 since Sunday using elderly supermarket cheddar and stale bread crust
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    @goldfinches

3 shallots and 2 fat cloves of garlic, diced and gently sautéed in some truffled oil (but olive oil would be just as good). Add chopped mushrooms (at a guess, I think I used around 300g of chestnut ones). Cook gently

I then soaked a tablespoon of dried porcini mushrooms for 10 minutes in boiling water, drained them (I added the liquid to a pan of veg stock I was making) and added those to the pan.  Leave to cool to room temperature, then blitz to a smooth paste along with a glug of white wine vinegar, a tub of mascarpone, a grind of black pepper and a handful of grated Parmesan cheese.

• klew356klew356 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    weekend roast was roast chicken, stuffing, gravy, yorkies, cauli cheese, mash potato, roast potato, chantenay carrots and peas
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maple (Skinny) and mustard lamb chops with garlic green beans tonight 
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • kerri_gtkerri_gt Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LO pasta from last night with more grilled courgette and some tinned sweetcorn that had been lurking in the fridge to use that up.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16