edited 9 August 2021 at 9:38AM in Compers Chat Corner
115 replies 3.8K views

Replies

• thingamaBobthingamaBob Forumite
    21.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JamboDP said:
    I have thought of a way to improve the search facility. who do you need to contact about it. When you do a search in competition time you also search in all the sub catorgories like Post, Regular, advent, Chat, IW and Game over, if they create another clicky and Name it "Main competition board" and put all the comps in that. when you  search then you will only search in live comps.
    HOPE THAT MAKES SENSE.
    If you look back to One-Eye's My Problem #1, if the items 5 & 6 were not compulsory as suggested, surely this would leave you with just the live comps in Competitions Time. So if the existing selectors worked correctly, another clicky would not be necessary.

Over and above this, if you use the search box that is next to the page numbers at top and bottom of the forum, this SHOULD automatically provide a search for the board you are in at the time and make it unnecessary to select a category while doing a search. If this box is not now going to work in that way, surely it needs to be removed.
  • One-EyeOne-Eye Forumite
    58.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My Problem #6 - Inaccurate results

Searching "herring" finds lots of threads that do not contain the word.

It finds:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6288846 contains “heritage”

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6288837 contains “here” and “her”

In fact it returns 13 inaccurate results until it finds the one I'm looking for:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6288043

• DidoowDidoow Forumite
    385 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Thanks for this thread.
    I’m finding that not only do I have to remember to open the comp in a new tab but also the comp post else I lose my search. 
    I also want to deselect replies.
    I gave up on the search last night as it didn’t seem logical - selected categories to get categories but it didn’t bring up the categories. Also having to fill in the first line to bring up the title line (which is where I wanted to enter my search term).
    I went to use the end date function but it didn’t bring them all up and also repeated at least one on a different page so I went back to this search 

• edited 10 August 2021 at 10:22AM
    thingamaBobthingamaBob Forumite
    21.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 August 2021 at 10:22AM
    Didoow said:
    Thanks for this thread.
    I’m finding that not only do I have to remember to open the comp in a new tab but also the comp post else I lose my search. 
    I gave up on the search last night as it didn’t seem logical - selected categories to get categories but it didn’t bring up the categories. Also having to fill in the first line to bring up the title line (which is where I wanted to enter my search term).
    I went to use the end date function but it didn’t bring them all up and also repeated at least one on a different page so I went back to this search 

When you say you selected categories I assume you mean the Categories button next to discussions but actually you need to go to the Category heading on the right hand side which has a drop down box under the word Category. The drop down box lists all of the Categories (i.e. all of the Forums and Sub Forums)
    The Categories button at the top returns nothing and seems rather pointless.
  • edited 10 August 2021 at 1:13PM
    thingamaBobthingamaBob Forumite
    21.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 August 2021 at 1:13PM
    pate-ci0 said:
    JamboDP said:
    does anybody know how to fill in new search facility.
    It seems to be fairly configurable and hopefully is going to work a lot better. Just started playing with it:

My preference is to search Discussions and Sort By Newest; choose Category Competitions Time on the right and Search Subcategories. What to Search - Discussions and deselect Polls. Choose a From and To date if required, but the search does seem to order by End Date properly now.
    One-Eye said:
    My Problem #1 - Amount of work required to do a "basic" search

1. Click "Search" icon, put search term in box & click "Search" (same as before)
    2. Click on "Discussions" button
    3. Click on "Sort By" and select "Newest"
    4. Click on "Category" and scroll down and select "Competitions Time"
    5. Click to select "Search Subcategories"
    6. Click to deselect "Polls"

This is too much work. I also think that steps 5 & 6 shouldn't be compulsory and this part could be a fault.

I don't think you actually need to select Search Subcategories. If you miss out that step but do deselect Polls, this does seem to restrict the search results to the Competitions Time board only.
    If I search for "love reading", then do steps 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 as above then click Search, it returns 9 results which are all of the current threads in Competitions Time for Love Reading and Love Reading 4 Kids.

As regards the Discussions and Polls boxes which are both ticked by default it seems to me that when both are ticked Polls is overriding Discussions and all you get are results for Polls and it is only by deselcting Polls that Discussions takes effect. This must surely just be an error. You should be able to include  both in your search if you want to.
  • DidoowDidoow Forumite
    385 Posts
    ✭✭
    Didoow said:
    Thanks for this thread.

When you say you selected categories I assume you mean the Categories button next to discussions but actually you need to go to the Category heading on the right hand side which has a drop down box under the word Category. The drop down box lists all of the Categories (i.e. all of the Forums and Sub Forums)
    The Categories button at the top returns nothing and seems rather pointless.
    But the categories section on the right hand side doesn’t appear until you click “discussions” . When I found it, I’d assumed I’d clicked “categories” to make it appear, which, to me, would be more logical 
  • DidoowDidoow Forumite
    385 Posts
    ✭✭
    I think as well, that you shouldn’t have to click on something to make something else appear, they should be just be visible or people will just think it’s not an available option
  • pate-ci0pate-ci0 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Didoow said:
    I think as well, that you shouldn’t have to click on something to make something else appear, they should be just be visible or people will just think it’s not an available option
    I'm ok with the idea that choosing one of Discussions, Categories and Members will change the interface to only show options applicable to that primary choice. However, I also think that there are some things which could be simplified and reduce unnecessary clicking.
  • One-EyeOne-Eye Forumite
    58.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    My Problem #7 - "Search Subcategories" tickbox fault

Note these two results from searching "famous grouse". The only difference is whether the "Search Subcategories" box is ticked. Note the items circled. It is clear that the effect of the "Search Subcategories" tickbox is nonsense and this is a clear fault (btw - ALL the search results are in subcategories).