Sky TV retention deals ( post your haggling successes )

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
4.3K replies 813K views

Replies

• nottmgalnottmgal Forumite
    10 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Sky customer of 20 years with an 18 month contract about to end.

TV - Sky Signature, Multiscreen & Sky Sports
    Broadband - Superfast
    Phone - Anytime Extra

Original deal 18 months ago £82
    Current cost £88
    Post end of contract £125
    Renewal offer £109 (online and over the phone)
    Final deal secured £89 for 18 months

Every renewal I call Sky to haggle and have always got a really good deal on the first or second call by speaking to the retentions team. This time was more difficult as I only seemed to get through to the "values" team, despite saying I was calling to cancel.

3 calls speaking to their "values" team did not get me a better offer than I could see in my account. After unsuccessfully trying to view new customer deals on their website as it kept asking me to create an account, I came on the forum to see if there was a way to view new customer deals. Turns out you either need to use a different browser to your normal one, go incognito (Chrome), or clear search history. Once I went incognito, I could see that a new customer could get my current package for £89/mth.

I called again and the agent in the "values" team was not budging and would not agree to match the new customer price. I told him that I was serving my 30 days notice to cancel and he put me through to cancellations. It turned out that it was actually the retentions team I got put through (finally) to and the agent immediately agreed to give me the £89/mth price for 18 months. 

I'm happy with that price, but this renewal it was definitely more difficult to obtain decent discounts.
  • dazzaofdagenhamdazzaofdagenham Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    How do I see offers in my account 
  • edited 31 July at 9:43PM
    mits999mits999 Forumite
    82 Posts
    edited 31 July at 9:43PM
    nottmgal said:
    Sky customer of 20 years with an 18 month contract about to end.

TV - Sky Signature, Multiscreen & Sky Sports
    Broadband - Superfast
    Phone - Anytime Extra

Original deal 18 months ago £82
    Current cost £88
    Post end of contract £125
    Renewal offer £109 (online and over the phone)
    Final deal secured £89 for 18 months

Every renewal I call Sky to haggle and have always got a really good deal on the first or second call by speaking to the retentions team. This time was more difficult as I only seemed to get through to the "values" team, despite saying I was calling to cancel.

3 calls speaking to their "values" team did not get me a better offer than I could see in my account. After unsuccessfully trying to view new customer deals on their website as it kept asking me to create an account, I came on the forum to see if there was a way to view new customer deals. Turns out you either need to use a different browser to your normal one, go incognito (Chrome), or clear search history. Once I went incognito, I could see that a new customer could get my current package for £89/mth.

I called again and the agent in the "values" team was not budging and would not agree to match the new customer price. I told him that I was serving my 30 days notice to cancel and he put me through to cancellations. It turned out that it was actually the retentions team I got put through (finally) to and the agent immediately agreed to give me the £89/mth price for 18 months. 

I'm happy with that price, but this renewal it was definitely more difficult to obtain decent discounts.
    Gosh I would say £89 is a total rip off 
    you Should aim for 

signature £16
    multiscreen £7
    Sky sports hd £12
    NOW broadband + Anytime calls £23

Total = £58

To get these prices you really need to cancel and let them call you back 

• edited 2 August at 2:20PM
    fairywishesfairywishes Forumite
    308 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 2 August at 2:20PM
    I cancelled 2 wks ago and Sky are repetitively texting me and emailing me asking me to stay with them.
    Have replied by phone twice and once by chat via the numbers and chat link they send me.
    Each occasion they keep offering me £51 down from £82. (Previous incontract discounted price was £42).
    It doesn't seem to matter how many times I refuse this offer they just keep re offering it! 
    Feels like they really are wasting my time and don't want to keep me as a 21+ year customer... am I being unreasonable?
    Last offer:
    Sky Signature £21
    Multi screen.  £11
    Cinema.           £6
    Netflix.             £5
    Sky HD.            £4
    Ultra HD.          £4
  • HewpewHewpew Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I cancelled around 1 week ago and had received a number of missed called since. Finally caught one this weekend and very fruitful for a simple package - 

Sky Signature (no HD) - £14 per month for 18 months. 

They tried it on for a £10 admin charge but then knocked it off as a credit. 

The best I had at cancellation was around £18.50 per month so happy days. 

We are finding the Sky offering not great vs Netflix etc but the Sky Q system is great with not having a smart TV. 

Good luck all. 

• ArklightArklight Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I cancelled 2 wks ago and Sky are repetitively texting me and emailing me asking me to stay with them.
    Have replied by phone twice and once by chat via the numbers and chat link they send me.
    Each occasion they keep offering me £51 down from £82. (Previous incontract discounted price was £42).
    It doesn't seem to matter how many times I refuse this offer they just keep re offering it! 
    Feels like they really are wasting my time and don't want to keep me as a 21+ year customer... am I being unreasonable?
    Last offer:
    Sky Signature £21
    Multi screen.  £11
    Cinema.           £6
    Netflix.             £5
    Sky HD.            £4
    Ultra HD.          £4
    If it's not worth that to you, then don't pay it. I'm afraid they are more likely to raise the price than lower it due to your tenure. 

I suspect the floor prices are decided by an algorithm for your account so that might be the best you'll do. I doubt the advisers have much say in it and will just offer you what the computer says. All the retentions team / loyalty team / cancellation team / I'm checking with the boss team is a sales tactic. 
  • Shrekhead75Shrekhead75 Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi guys,

1st post here but have followed for a couple of years with some retention deal success.

Cancelled Sky Tv on 25th July as contract was ending 24th August. I was offered the standard deal by guy on chat, refused that & awaited Sky to contact me.

I was called on Monday 2nd August & offered a few deals but still pretty standard, told the chap I was looking to pay less than £50 for my Tv package of Signature, Ultimate, Multiroom, UHD & Sport. 

With a bit of negotiation I was offered the Tv I asked for as well as renewing my Superfast Broadband & Evening & Weekend phone calls for £75 per month. I was in contract with my broadband until March & paying £31 for that.

Sky are going to call back on Saturday to confirm it all as I’m working nights the rest of the week but pretty happy with the deal offered. Haven’t got the full breakdown of what I’ll be paying for each element but will update when it’s all put through.

• michaeregi_0michaeregi_0 Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Been with Sky for 13 years. Currently paying £48 a month for the following Sky services (and paying Netflix separately £13.99 a month): 

Sky Entertainment = £31
    Sky Box Sets = £5
    Sky Kids = £5
    Sky HD = £7

i remember same package for my last 18 months contract was £28 and £20 before that (all this as result of haggling). But all those times I took the first offer they gave and never proceeded to cancel the service, so maybe even those offers I paid too much for. 

Anyway I called to cancel now and guy offered me….

Sky Signature 
    Sky HD 
    Netflix 
    He took out Sky Kids

….for £31 a month. 

I said no way and cancelled few days ago (no one called me back yet). It’s a bit of a non offer. Sky Signature with Sky HD and Netflix shouldn’t be more than £25 a month right (at least based on offers I see from other people)?
  • berttieberttie Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Sky messed up my billing so I cancelled when offered a poor renewal. Got a text ask to call in about a possible deal and was offered this after a bit of haggling 
  • marco44marco44 Forumite
    19 Posts
    berttie said:
    Sky messed up my billing so I cancelled when offered a poor renewal. Got a text ask to call in about a possible deal and was offered this after a bit of haggling 
    How long after you cancelled did sky text you to offer the deal. 
    I cancelled my contract 1 week ago. I was not happy with the new contract they offered me.