What are you making for dinner?

edited 2 May 2020 at 11:05PM in Old Style MoneySaving
10K replies 614K views

Replies

• IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Had a HUGE chicken breast, roasted in some jerk spices, with fermented red cabbage and ginger

had a bit of a blow out at the weekend, so back to basics for a while 🙃
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Teapot55Teapot55 Forumite
    478 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Teapot55 said:
    My oh cannot resist a bargain & came home from buying milk in the little Tesco with real French Camembert (was £2.30, reduced to 90p as short dated). 

He made up a small amount of bread dough (you can keep your carbs lower if you don’t have to buy a whole 800g of commercial bread) and plonked the Camembert in the middle, garnished with a few sprigs of rosemary & a couple of cloves of garlic.

200ºC for 20 mins. 

Served with baby gem lettuce from Aldi (still fresh after 10 day kept in closed bag in salad drawer) raspberries from garden & slices of apple with lemon juice & black pepper - sounds strange but it went really well. 
    Thankyou for this recipe, I've copied and pasted it into my "useful recipes from MSE" notepad to use at some time in the future because it sounded delicious and easy to do.
    Aw, thanks. Next time we’ll remember to put it on a plate before cutting in half . . . or make individual ones . . . because the melted cheese ran out all over the chopping board ha ha. 

Still haven’t worked out how to post the picture . . . never used to have trouble!

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • C_JC_J Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    We had roast pork yesterday - I managed to get a mahoosive joint which was yellow stickered down to £2.50. We used up more of it tonight as bbq pulled pork brioche baps with coleslaw and salad, and another chunk of it will be used to make pork and chestnut mushroom stroganoff for tomorrow night. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed sneaking to the fridge and carving off thick slices for snacks when I get the munchies too!
  • goldfinchesgoldfinches Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    @Teapot55 - I'd love to see a photo when you can, I always find that really helpful for recipes.

I save my photos into the downloads folder on my laptop and then they are easy to navigate to using the choose files button under the insert an image dropdown menu.
    I hope that's helpful for you although I'm aware that there seem to be huge variations between operating systems for individual users e.g. I'm not able to resize my images at all but others can do this easily so if your system doesn't work that way just ignore me.

I did a bit more eating up bits and bobs for dinner and had some leftover salad from lunchtime combined with a mug of tomato soup and some toasted brown bread followed by coffee and a handful of walnuts.

Air
    , n. A nutritious substance supplied by a bountiful Providence for the fattening of the poor. 

from The Devil's Dictionary
    by Ambrose Bierce
    5.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks delicious @Teapot55

HM burgers here tonight, in buns for DH, with salad for me, halloumi fries for those that want 

£300/£130
  • BrieBrie Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Was in the office to work all day yesterday - after a late start delivering a huge fundraised shop to the local food bank.  Back was a bit twingey after shifting boxes of tinned goods......so that's my excuse for resorting to KFC for dinner.  Small salad to go with my portion to delay me getting at the chips.  And sad to say there's leftover KFC waiting for my lunch which is why I decided that plain blueberries would be sufficient for breakfast. 

No idea yet what we'll have for dinner today....I've a load of store bought peppers that need to be prepped and frozen if they are not going to be used.  And disappointed to see that due to not watering one of my two tomato plants has died...£1 cost resulting in 2 very small not yet ripened tomatoes.  I really don't know why I bother!!  5 pepper plants free from a friend are doing absolutely nothing as well.  Not that I really needed scotch bonnets....
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
    5.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Brie we have SO many bags of frozen chilli’s and peppers from last year, we didn’t bother this year 😝

keeping it simple again tonight, sirloin steak with a little dolcelatte cheese and fermented red cabbage.  DH ate a large meal at lunch so just fancies ‘picky bits’

£300/£130
  • rachsecretrachsecret Forumite
    364 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Had roast chicken leg with celeriac puree and 'broccoli cheese'.