• DoozergirlDoozergirl Forumite
    31.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    neilmcl said:
    neilmcl said:
    Emmia said:
    Galley type kitchens.

Hopefully moving into a house soon and I need to redo the kitchen, Its a decent sized kitchen but due to the door and window situation, We won't have the cash straight away to move windows etc but, I have a rough idea of what I want.

Can I see some galley type kitchens to inspire me or to show me where I am going wrong.

Also ceramic or metal sink ? 

Boiling water tap or kettle ? 
    In an office with lots of people drinking tea and coffee, a boiling water tap makes sense, but I think you've got to be a very heavy user of boiling water for a boiling water tap in your home to be the MSE option - and if it fails, you'll need a kettle anyway... 

And a stainless steel sink - I'd go overmount with drainer to avoid the difficult (almost impossible) to clean bit you get with an undermount.
    I agree with both of these comments.    Both were considered decisions in our kitchen.  

Have a look at Pinterest and Instagram for inspiration, using 'galley kitchen' as a search term.  
    I've actually changed my mind about a hot water tap! If it costs 3.5p/day on standby and a kettle costs 2.5p per boil, I'll make the difference between the standard and hot tap upgrade over time. But then I am not going for a £1k tap.

Eta: no showroom salesperson will ever point out the drawbacks of an undermount sink. They will instead act like they don't know what you are talking about, probably because they don't. Believe @Emmia and Doozer
    I'm in love with our whistling stove top Alessi kettle on the induction hob.  It makes me happy every time I use it.  😍

Which one do you have? Thinking about getting one myself for my induction hob.
    https://www.johnlewis.com/alessi-tea-rex-hob-kettle-with-dragon-whistle/p2222253?tmad=c&tmcampid=7&s_share=jlappios_Y29tLmFwcGxlLlVJS2l0LmFjdGl2aXR5LkNvcHlUb1Bhc3RlYm9hcmQ=

It's available a bit cheaper elsewhere. 

I used to work for a lady 20 years ago who had one of these with the traditional bird whistle.  I loved it but we've always had electric kettles until now.  This is now pride of place on my hob.  

That's the one I was looking at, that or the one with the melodic whistle, although that might be stretch too far, money wise.
    We can be the cool kettle club, with phoebe! 
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Emmia said:
    Galley type kitchens.

Hopefully moving into a house soon and I need to redo the kitchen, Its a decent sized kitchen but due to the door and window situation, We won't have the cash straight away to move windows etc but, I have a rough idea of what I want.

Can I see some galley type kitchens to inspire me or to show me where I am going wrong.

In an office with lots of people drinking tea and coffee, a boiling water tap makes sense, but I think you've got to be a very heavy user of boiling water for a boiling water tap in your home to be the MSE option - and if it fails, you'll need a kettle anyway... 

And a stainless steel sink - I'd go overmount with drainer to avoid the difficult (almost impossible) to clean bit you get with an undermount.
    I agree with both of these comments.    Both were considered decisions in our kitchen.  

Have a look at Pinterest and Instagram for inspiration, using 'galley kitchen' as a search term.  
    I've actually changed my mind about a hot water tap! If it costs 3.5p/day on standby and a kettle costs 2.5p per boil, I'll make the difference between the standard and hot tap upgrade over time. But then I am not going for a £1k tap.

Eta: no showroom salesperson will ever point out the drawbacks of an undermount sink. They will instead act like they don't know what you are talking about, probably because they don't. Believe @Emmia and Doozer
    Watch out for the cheaper taps. Poor reviews on the insinkerator one.  I acquired one from a project and decided against using it.   They don't tell you that the things should be serviced every year either.  

I'm in love with our whistling stove top Alessi kettle on the induction hob.  It makes me happy every time I use it.  😍

A lovely client gave us a demo of his induction hob vs his kettle to boil water,  and the hob won, so we decided to do away with the idea of a plug in one.  

I was going to go for a Bristan, a reliable brand I thought?

I'm having a gas hob fitted as I'm not sold on electric, whether bog standard or induction.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • phoebe1989sebphoebe1989seb Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    @phoebe1989seb

Mine is nowhere as big as that, so I need wall units as if I start my business I will need storage.

I will have a look at steamvalve now !
    It's the Hornbeam Ivy deck mounted mixer tap with articulated spout. Ours is in stainless steel with the *hand wheels* 😃
    :j Mortgage-free for twelve years! :j

:T Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed :T
  • edited 30 July at 1:22PM
    DoozergirlDoozergirl Forumite
    31.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 July at 1:22PM
    Emmia said:
    Galley type kitchens.

Watch out for the cheaper taps. Poor reviews on the insinkerator one.  I acquired one from a project and decided against using it.   They don't tell you that the things should be serviced every year either.  

A lovely client gave us a demo of his induction hob vs his kettle to boil water,  and the hob won, so we decided to do away with the idea of a plug in one.  

I was going to go for a Bristan, a reliable brand I thought?

I'm having a gas hob fitted as I'm not sold on electric, whether bog standard or induction.
    I haven't experienced the Bristan, so won't cast opinion.  

Induction though.  Once you go there you'll never go back.  Instantly responsive and hands down the easiest thing to clean.  We used to have a glass topped gas hob and while the glass was fine to clean, there was always that impossible ring of grease between it and the ring, and the rubbish that gets down the hole.  And the rings that have to go in the dishwasher bur still felt a bit greasy. 

Our indiction is as easy to clean as the worktops.  Food doesn't burn to the rings.  A cursory spray and wipe is all that is needed.  9 months in, it's still in mint condition.  

If it's good enough for professional chefs, it's good enough for me.  I will never go back to gas.  
  • MonsternextdoorMonsternextdoor Forumite
    566 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    Ive had induction hobs, Ceramic hobs and Im desperate to go back to gas, Many years of moving around the country and being housed in military housing.

I have been looking at a 5 burner hob with double oven as we like to cook, My youngest also wants to make sure that she has her influence in the kitchen as she is my little helper, so we have been looking at space saving ideas etc.
  • MonsternextdoorMonsternextdoor Forumite
    566 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    https://www.johnlewis.com/alessi-tea-rex-hob-kettle-with-dragon-whistle/p2222253?tmad=c&tmcampid=7&s_share=jlappios_Y29tLmFwcGxlLlVJS2l0LmFjdGl2aXR5LkNvcHlUb1Bhc3RlYm9hcmQ=

I used to work for a lady 20 years ago who had one of these with the traditional bird whistle.  I loved it but we've always had electric kettles until now.  This is now pride of place on my hob.  

I think I am a little in love with that kettle ... Its cuter and cheaper than a hot water tap.
  • Rosa_DamascenaRosa_Damascena Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭

I think I am a little in love with that kettle ... Its cuter and cheaper than a hot water tap.
    £125 on a kettle? Are you nuts??!
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • edited 30 July at 9:59PM
    EmmiaEmmia Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 30 July at 9:59PM
    In cost per use terms, £125 for a kettle isn't too horrific, and if you have the money and it brings you joy, then why not?

A couple of months ago I wanted to get a desk lamp - I could have bought something suitable for £20, but I bought an Anglepoise type 75 for £175 - I love it, it brings me joy when I look at it, and I've zero regrets.

• edited 30 July at 11:15PM
    DoozergirlDoozergirl Forumite
    31.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 30 July at 11:15PM
    Emmia said:
    In cost per use terms, £125 for a kettle isn't too horrific, and if you have the money and it brings you joy, then why not?

A couple of months ago I wanted to get a desk lamp - I could have bought something suitable for £20, but I bought an Anglepoise type 75 for £175 - I love it, it brings me joy when I look at it, and I've zero regrets.

Design classics.  And genuine joy.  🤗

I admired the lady that I worked for in the late 90's.  I thought she was so grown up and sophisticated - because she was.   I loved the whistling kettle and loose leaf tea at break times, and many other things that she brought to my little world.  

I do understand why a constant tea/coffee drinker will appreciate a hot water tap.  £125 on a 🦖 isn't much compared to a hot water tap and its installation costs.  

If I had a desk, I'd cherish an Anglepoise. 🙂

• edited 31 July at 7:33AM
    phoebe1989sebphoebe1989seb Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 July at 7:33AM
    Emmia said:

Exactly!

Our - electric - Alessi kettle cost around £165, but it's now 16 years old and every day it brings a bit of joy to my life, even if I'm not using it 😍 I consider that a bargain!

As Doozer says, these are design classics that - imho, anyway - improve the quality of my life. Same as my ridiculously expensive articulated hornbeam ivy tap and dualit toaster, lol!

In my world, I'd rather have a design classic - even if I have to scour eBay for a vintage version - than buy a cheaper, poorly constructed/designed alternative that won't stand the test of time 😉

No regrets here, either.....
    :j Mortgage-free for twelve years! :j

:T Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed :T