Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

edited 18 November 2017 at 10:49AM in Debt Free Diaries
15.2K replies 897.2K views

Replies

• Sun_AddictSun_Addict Forumite
    13.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back HH 😁 Great news about DS, well done to him 👏 What a shame about the TA cover, I hope you find something suitable soon. Sounds like you’ve got a busy summer ahead. 
    Christmas Savings 2021 £608.95/£600
    Emergency Fund £5650/£10,000
    October NSD: 10/15
  • edited 27 July at 11:19AM
    HairyHandofDartmoorHairyHandofDartmoor Forumite
    13.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 July at 11:19AM
    I've got so much to talk about that I'm doing a part two update  😂.

This holiday has been really busy so far!
    Day One: I was exhausted, but we went to a NT place for a couple of hours for coffee and to look at the ducks 🦆🦆. It was a baking hot day so I was too tired to go for a walk but DH and I really enjoyed relaxing in the sun with a drink 🌞☕.

Day Two: I went to the shops as I realised that I didnt' have any cool clothes for really hot weather. It was so long since I'd been into town that I forgot where half the shops were. A tourist asked me where Primani was and I had to really think about it and then I forgot where B00ts was and walked miles in the wrong direction 😂. I bought a lot of clothes and got a bit carried away with spending 😣. Then I had a coffee in MnS. They have an outside sitting area, but while queing up inside a very old lady not wearing a mask got really close behind me and even poked me in the back once to start a conversation 😳. As I'm scared of catching the virus (despite being double jabbed) I shied away like a frightened horse 😂. When I got home I tried on all the clothes and decided to return half of them. Second thoughts are always best. I'm keeping two pairs of thin cotton cargos to wear around the house, some shorts for the beach, and a maxi skirt and a plain navy tee shirt to wear with it.

Day Three: My wardrobe was a disaster zone, so I packed away all my winter clothes in plastic boxes in the void, got out my remaining summer clothes, and organised everything. That took a surprisingly long time and I got very hot and bothered. I managed to fill two carrier bags for the charity shop of clothes that nobody had worn for years and a few books and other odds and ends. DH and I also took a boot full of junk to the tip which felt good.

Day 4: I spent all day gardening. We have a cherry bush which DH insisted on planting too far forward at Easter 🙄, so I persuaded him it need to be moved back into the middle of the border. We did that and then I moved back a dwarf fir so that a small shrub an be put in front of it. This was exhausting especially as it was a hot day and I needed cocoedamol to help me sleep that night as my back, neck and every other part of me was so achey.

Day 5: I went to town and returned six items of clothing which made me feel very pleased with myself, although I shouldn't have bought so much in the first place 🤔. I also dropped the two carrier bags at the charity shop. I decided to have coffee at home to save money 😇. I was home by 11.15am. After that I cleaned DS3's room and put clean sheets on his bed so it will be nice for him to come home to.

Today which is day six DH has dropped the car off at the garage to be serviced before all our long journeys, it's going to cost £320 😱 but we need it to be safe. I've also cut DH's hair with the clippers as it doesn't feel safe for him to go to the barber (despite being double jabbed) as he's diabetic. After that I have lots more washing to do (I've been averaging three washes a day since I broke up) and I want to clean the bathroom. Plus I need to pack an overnight bag for tomorrow. I'll go with DH to collect the car as I need to buy ingredients for sandwiches for tomorrow's journey.

Well that was a long update, sorry 😃. I'll try to update my diary daily and catch up with other people's diaries at least one a day. It's good to be back 😁.

Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £800/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £183.57/£500. SEF = £2,050/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £500. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £500.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £1,000 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 6 YEARS 4 MONTHS
  • 24ta24ta Forumite
    147 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 100 Posts
    Good to hear from you, congratulations to your son, happy holidays :)

• teafor2teafor2 Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi HHD :) Lovely to read about what you've been up to. Congratulations to DS on his degree. DD also got a 2:1 and is starting teacher training in September. They've been through so many changes the past 18 months, I take my hat off to all of them for carrying on and not giving up. 

What a lovely gesture from your step-dad, I bet you're really looking forward to catching up with your sister. 

Fingers crossed you will find another job although if you're still working in school while you're looking I bet it's not long before they're asking you to cover for somebody else again.  :)

Have a lovely day. xx
  • jwiljwil Forumite
    13.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lovely to hear from you again.  Congrats to DS!

Have a lovely summer and hopefully you'll find something quickly in September 
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Sunshine_girl2Sunshine_girl2 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Great to hear from you, so much news . 

Really pleased you are going to see your sister , are you going to fly or drive ? 

Plus seeing your dad as well. 

Enjoy the holidays , September will be a good month to look for another job. 
    Debt free April 26th 2021

• Willowtree222Willowtree222 Forumite
    6.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Hairy,

lovely to hear from you. Sorry about the TA job but something always comes up in schools so I have everything crossed. Congrats to DS3 on his degree.

Buying clothes is always needed so I wouldn’t worry about spending.

Your holiday sounds so busy already and you’ve started to accomplish things found the house already! 

Safe journey to get DS. X
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x