Awful weather - typical Brits talk

Replies

• phoebe1989sebphoebe1989seb Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amazing sunset and bird picsDave 😄 And gorgeous lilies, Farway 😍

No proper rain to speak of here - there appeared to have been a light shower overnight when we got up yesterday, but no thunderstorms or anything major.

Yesterday was mostly sunny, but cooler and today is cloudier - perfect weather for DH who was up at 5am, heading off to browse a carboot sale near Tenby 🤣

No plans to garden as such, other than some deadheading etc, because we've indoor stuff to finish (fitting the laundry sink and worktop) before we start on the building work in earnest... hopefully next weekend 😀

:j Mortgage-free for twelve years! :j

:T Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed :T
  • twopennytwopenny Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing as impressive as these photos.
    Did get the lawns mowed and edges trimmed.
    Warm weather and high tides it's all about getting swims in at the moment.
    Runner beans all gone as slug food. My cut and come again salad either gone to slugs or bolting as has the basil. Hopefully next year I'll have more time to give them attention.
    Another delicious bowl of fresh raspberries for supper tonight though.

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Black_Cat2Black_Cat2 Forumite
    470 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Morning all x

@Catsacor apologies for very late reply here but yes we had awful rain and floods early July, several neighbours had it come into their homes 😳. Weather is definitely unsettled.

Nice, and sunny and dry so far today.

I've grown shallots for the first time and debating what to do with them.  Still very green so think I need to leave them in the ground until they go yellow?  I see Monty pulled his but not sure mine are ready yet? 

Any help appreciated!  🐈
    Just my opinion, no offence 🐈
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BC2 - Shallots & all onion family, you leave them alone and they ripen as the green tops naturally start to bend over because the necks start drying

At the bending over stage a spot of tidying up can be done, bit of gentle extra bending, aligning and untangling the droopy tops to let the sun in [now then! now then! stop sniggering a the back :) ]
    Then once tops are drier,  I think Monty did same, just gently ease them up with a fork to break roots but leave them to dry a bit longer, unless you have floods I guess

Looks pleasant there Dave, you mention token but I wonder if it is in the newer planning rules somewhere regarding flooding?
    There's a newish estate near here built on flood plain and they've installed ponds / ditches with reeds etc to allow the excess water to drain. The vegetation looks very much like your picture and although functional looks quite pleasant & natural now

It absolutely poured down yesterday, with thunder etc. I think we got the edge of the London deluge, no floods I'm aware of but certainly came down in buckets

Very pleasant this morning, sunny & mild, today could be the day my tree lilies finally open up, no dead cats to report though >:) , and there are loads of cats around here.
    Funny how things are poisonous to some creatures. I saw on FB yesterday someones dog had eaten lobelia and was poisoned by it, recovered though after vet visit
    At RHS Wisley there was a poison garden, fenced off but open to public with information about the plant etc which seemed sensible to me, give the kids a mild scare but at same time make them aware of the potential danger and what to look out for

I had hoped to take some pics yesterday but rain stopped play, maybe today I'll venture up the garden path
  • Black_Cat2Black_Cat2 Forumite
    470 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Ty F 😘. Monty seems to always be ahead of us down here in Somerset with his gardening.  Do love him though, not a fan of that Adam chap - just my personal opinion (I'm sure his lovely in real life) 😸

Agreed R, weather is unpredictable right now, another heatwave is forecast apparently, so don't put your sunscreen away just yet! 
    Just my opinion, no offence 🐈
  • edited 26 July at 11:57AM
    DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 July at 11:57AM
    Rayanami said:
    The weather is crazy right now, in the beginning of July it was so damn cold, and after that we barely survived the heatwave
    Where are you, Canada? Now, they really have something to complain about, and not just Mr Woke Trudeau. A friend over there has just emailed to say things are better because the 300 forest fires aren't sending any smoke their way now!
    Here, we only get that when the commercial yard across the road decides to get rid of some tyres and stuff in the winter. :s
    We're forecast to get thunderstorms later today, so I made an early start on the tidying I'm doing now the hedges etc have grown out even further than usual. The road is almost down to single track, but I'm not allowed to touch that, fortunately.
    At present storms are in the Netherlands, Belgium and Northern Germany, but looking like they might like a trip over the Channel/N Sea sometime soon. :|

People who don't stand for something will fall for anything.
  • greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    15.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Davesnave - friends in Canada can't understand why people complain about that wearing masks to go shopping makes breathing difficult, when they are wearing them running/cycling in order to make it easier to breathe...

I must have blinked and missed the heatwave here (actually, I think there was one when I was away for a week, as I returned to a jungle). I'm hoping one will start now and keep going for a few weeks, even if it does mean I have to do some watering. However, every weather forecast I look at says something different, so who knows what will happen. 
  • wortwort Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve been off work 4 weeks and it’s been hot with no rain yet , even before that it’s been ages since we had rain, my water butt is empty. I think here in northwest England it’s forecast for tomorrow afternoon, then the 2 days after.  I’ll believe when I see it as the forecast changes constantly. I have an indoor lily that has finished flowering so will plant it out and see how it does. Anyone know when radishes are ready ,planted from seed in June?
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • wortwort Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    @2p raspberry envy🤫 my canes have only produced 4 tiny /microscopic berries and then they turn mouldy! I must have them in wrong spot or too little feed and water . 
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.