Nightmare taking my cat to the vet each time

in Pets & Pet Care
21 replies 1.6K views

Replies

• Jenga12Jenga12 Forumite
    55 Posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts
    Our eldest cat (she had to be put down due to ill health at age late teens) was the same. She'd soil herself too. The vets were great; they'd give her a quick bath before seeing her. The experienced vets were always the best at handling her whereas the younger ones were scared. The only way she could get seen by the younger ones was if I held the back of her neck with one hand and her front paws with the other. 
  • scorpio13scorpio13 Forumite
    449 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    My Cat must be unique.
    He's as good as gold when going to the vets. Lol
  • edited 28 November 2020 at 5:17PM
    pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2020 at 5:17PM
    My last cat once roused himself from a sedative to go straight for the vet’s throat and I had to pry every one of his firmly planted claws out of the poor guys chest and shoulder before he resumed his attempt to pull a badly abscessed tooth, at arms length with the longest pair of forceps I’d ever seen. He never saw that vet again. I was always given the junior vet after that!

The older of my current cats, who died last year at 21 was a right disruptive one, she howled and yowled from the minute I went in the door until I left. Thus truly disturbing every other animal in the waiting room - to the point where they would come through and ask to take her away to the back but she could still be heard even from there.  

The only visit where she actually behaved herself was her very last, to be put to sleep - but she was very frail by then and I think ready to go.

Her sister (18) however is the exact opposite, friendly and charms everyone, who can’t believe her age as she’s still a very young looking cat and her teeth are so good!

• TBagpussTBagpuss Forumite
    9.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    scorpio13 said:
    My Cat must be unique.
    I had one who was a real sweetie. She would 'meep' piteously when they actually gave her an injection but would then immediately snuggle and allow them to pet her. 
    I actually got a little worried when I went to pick her up after her spay as it took so long for them to bring her out, it turned out  that they were just all giving her a last cuddle before they gave her back.
    But she was definitely an outlier and most of them hate it. Although the current ones still to yelling and the occasional hiss.

Home visits *might* help, especially if the cat is stressed by travelling. My last-but-one cat was pretty chilled about going in the carrier and in the car, as he often came with me when I visited family so didn't exclusively associate it with Bad Things, although he got very stressed with the vets. The vet was quite close, so he used to protest loudly for the first 10 minutes or so in the car, then settle down once he realised we were not going to the vet! 
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • edited 8 December 2020 at 11:24AM
    pogofishpogofish Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 December 2020 at 11:24AM
    Home visits can be very expensive though - I had to ask for one when I was recovering from Osteo surgery and couldn't drive my cat to the vet - The charge for it was eighty five pounds for the visit alone, before any treatment/medication.

Although I will admit that the cat took it a hell of a lot better - I was the one doing the howling when the bill came-in! 
  • RoleoRoleo Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi, I'm sorry to hear of everone's experiences with upset kitties. It's worth talking to your vets about a pre visit dose of gabapentin, it can help calm some particularly anxious / feisty felines.
  • nick78447nick78447 Forumite
    43 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    We found a product called Pet Remedy Calming Spray helps a lot. It's not a pleasant odour to humans, but our cats love it, and a spray on the towel in the carrier really seems to do the trick. It's worked well on 3 cats with very different personalities.

The other thing is your manner and attitude. Cats can smell it all a mile off and see it in your body language. Don't get all het up and find yourself chasing around after them, it's really no good for anyone (I've been there, I know).

• mwarbymwarby Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have 3 ex feral cats, who were a handful at the vets(I wasn’t in room due to covid restrictions, but I think anything not nailed down got moved lol)

The vet gave me gabapentin which they had 12h before and 2h before, and a new appointment in a few weeks. All three of the cats were fine the next visit, although they did resist the cat carrier more

The gabapentin was a chicken flavoured liquid which can be added to the cat food. It cost £12.44 for all 3 cats
  • seven-day-weekendseven-day-weekend Forumite
    36.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    scorpio13 said:
    My Cat must be unique.
    My son's cats (sisters) were always very amenable as well.  One of them hated going in the car, but was OK at the vets.  The one cat died aged 19, the other  is still going strong at 22 1/2 - the heat got to her yesterday and my son sprayed her with water to keep her cool - she never batted an eyelid.  He has always hoovered them with a hand held hoover as well - they never minded.  Such laid back animals..
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • LavendyrLavendyr Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    scorpio13 said:
    My Cat must be unique.
    One of mine is the same. The other hates going anywhere frankly and will poo and/or vomit (both on really good days :/ ) on the way there and/or back. He's good as gold in the vets - and when I adopted him I drove him 3 hours home with no mess"