Prepaid funeral sellers face cold calling ban as regulator unveils new rules

MSE_EmilyMSE_Emily MSE Staff
74 Posts
First Post
MSE Staff
The Financial Conduct Authority has revealed details on how it plans to regulate prepaid funeral sellers from next summer, with measures including a ban on cold-calling, a set penalty-free cancellation period and providers requiring authorisation.
Read the full story here:
'Prepaid funeral sellers face cold calling ban as regulator unveils new rules'
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

Interesting read and useful to know.

Could this extend to other sectors selling to the Elderly - eg. Mobility
  • dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Only taken around 20 years since the earliest concerns.   Then again, I suppose that is quite fast when dealing with the FCA (or predecessors) 
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • D4rkS4v4ntD4rkS4v4nt Forumite
    17 Posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Good to hear although why has it taken four years since the original findings and reports were made? I wonder how many consumers have been caused harassment, distress and financial loss during this time.

My mother recently fell victim to one of these companies "Prosperous Life" advertising on facebook and using bogus claims about how the funeral plans are funded.

Since blocking all the numbers they were calling from this has stopped for my mother but I'm sure there are many other vulnerable people who are still being scammed and harrassed by these unscrupulous companies.