Atrixa's Saving Diaries

edited 25 January at 6:20PM in How much have you saved?
416 replies 26.8K views

Replies

• Skint_yet_AgainSkint_yet_Again Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The porch sounds like it will be lovely and fresh once finished. Hope the bathroom sealant worked ok. One job I hate doing. 
    0% credit card £1360 ~ paid in full
    0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE

House sale/ purchase costs
    First house purchase offer accepted 20/5/22 fell through 8/7/22 due to sudden serious illness of seller
    Insurance 2 x £90 Searches £300. Survey cancelled/refund received
    Offer accepted on another property 2/8/2022
    £90 solicitor insurance
    £300 searches

Aiming to retire early age 60 🥳
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    481 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Bathroom sealant is a success! I had a lovely bath on Sunday night and no lifting :smiley:
    First coat of paint in the porch is on, it's looking better already. It's not smelling very fresh though- there's some residual unidentifiable stink of goodness knows what on the floor and then the kitchen paint I've used stinks to high heaven. I've got all the windows open. Really makes you appreciate claypaint, which smells of almost nothing.
    I took myself to the charity shops today and picked up four tops for under £12, bargain!
  • savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Forumite
    Hurrah for bathroom sealant and well done on the painting. Hard work which will pay off, i hope the smell goes soon. Fabulous news on the clothes too! 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Yaaay! Have you got any lemons you could quarter to absorb the smell or a saucer with some bicarb.

Well done on finding bargains 😃
    6.7K Posts
    Forumite
    A lot of paint really stinks these days. Last time I used gloss it made my eyes water and my chest & throat hurt so bad I took it back to wil ko and complained and got a refund. I left buckets of water in the room (where I had only done the skirting!) plus lemons & bicarb & slices of onions but nothing worked & it took nearly a week of having windows open and sleeping in another room! Have never used gloss since. Hope the smell goes quickly for you. 
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE

First house purchase offer accepted 20/5/22 fell through 8/7/22 due to sudden serious illness of seller
    £90 solicitor insurance
    £300 searches

• savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    16.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Forumite
    If it's not raining get a tent and sleep in the garden! The paint  sounds like it smells dreadful but i hope it looks brilliant. My house could do with a bit of decoration but i am just ignoring it. 
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • atrixaatrixa Forumite
    481 Posts
    Forumite
    Thanks everyone. It's looking really good now and the smell didn't stick around for too long. Bf helped me put up the shelves that I took down from the office, so I've now got somewhere to store things that isn't just the floor. Windowsill now has a chives plant on it that I'm trying to take really good care of. 
  • MovingForwardsMovingForwards Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    That's good news about the smell fading quicker than expected.
    Chives only require water, occasionally a bit of tomato feed being in a pot. They will begin to expand and fill the space.
    6.7K Posts
    Forumite
    Sounds great atrixa. Glad the smell has gone!
    JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE

£90 solicitor insurance
    £300 searches

• atrixaatrixa Forumite
    481 Posts
    Forumite
    I can't believe I haven't updated since July!

I'm still filling up my various savings funds, but also trying to balance that with just living life since things have opened back up. I'm allocating myself a certain amount of 'fun money' each month.

I got a promotion last month, so that's a pay rise I should see shortly :)

Luckily I haven't been hit by the ridiculous gas prices yet. I should be ok until March unless my provider goes bust. Thoughts for anyone who's been affected by that.

House-wise, mainly just been focused on second-hand shopping for various bits at the moment. I painted the radiators a few weeks ago, which has really brightened the place up. Not the easiest paint to work with, but it does look better. I replaced the vinyl flooring in the kitchen and porch a few weeks ago and the difference is staggering. I did find some unfortunate things (like puppy pads) behind the kickboards, but at least that's sorted out. I think I'm going to have to level the floors properly before I do anything else to the floors on the ground floor.

I hope everyone is well! I'll try to have a read through everyone's threads.