Virgin Money Current Account

Replies

• kuratowskikuratowski Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    This is good news, because when I banked with them (in CYBG days) I did find this aspect off-putting.  And very much an outlier compared to other banks.
  • Eco_MiserEco_Miser Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    All these years that CYBG have been doing this, this is the first time I've seen anything official about it - just before it ends.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century

• pafpcgpafpcg Forumite
    777 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else getting this when applying?
    Yes, I and my partner have been regularly seeing a similar message when trying to login to our accounts using the desktop browser in the last few weeks:
    "Sorry, we're no longer able to assist you online.  Please try later". 

The message appears after entering the 10-digit customer number or sometimes even after entering the three password characters.  In the last week the frequency has increased - on Thursday, neither of us was able to login until my partner succeeded at 23:20 and was able to make her necessary transactions.  On Friday, I spent about two hours on the phone to the help line (most of that waiting in the queue).  VM claimed that there was no apparent reason for the message - my account was showing no flags for a problem.  I was advised initially to:
    a) clear the browser cookies and cache.
    b) switch to the Google Chrome browser.
    c) use the VM web-site (virginmoney.com), not the old Clydesdale (cbonline.co.uk)
    d) type in the URL - don't use a bookmark!

In my "normal" Firefox browser (running on Linux Mint), I cleared the cookies and cache, typed the URL etc: failed every attempt. 
    I installed Chromium in Linux and Google Chrome in Wine: failed every attempt.
    Getting desperate, I installed the VM app on an Android phone: failed every attempt to login with a message "Error! Something's gone wrong. Your error ID is xxxxxx".

On recontacting the VM help desk, I talked the operator through the process and for once I was able to log in!  Unfortunately, I was using Firefox to access virginmoney.com, which only allows me to see the accounts & balances and nothing else works (the javascript in the VM site won't work with Firefox*), so I logged out and on retrying to access the cbonline.co.uk site it failed again and so did virginmoney.com with Chromium.  We attempted to try again with the mobilephone app but instead of getting the error id message after entering the 10-digit customer number, it just stopped with the circling arrow.  The operator accepted that I had an unusual problem and noted the exact wording of the error messages for an internal email to technical support to ring me back.  Forty hours later, I'm still waiting...

*Note: the VM help desk operator told me that the Clydesdale cbonline.co.uk website will be shutdown "soon", but no date yet.  Bad news for those who prefer browsers other than Google Chrome because that's the only browser VM will support.

• kaMelokaMelo Forumite
    942 Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    pafpcg said:

*Note: the VM help desk operator told me that the Clydesdale cbonline.co.uk website will be shutdown "soon", but no date yet.  Bad news for those who prefer browsers other than Google Chrome because that's the only browser VM will support.

There are lots of chromium based browsers that flag as chrome to a website, two off the top of my head are Opera and Vivaldi, both available for Linux and I'm sure there are more.

Having said that, anyone designing a website for one specific browser is a bad idea. 
  • Eco_MiserEco_Miser Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    pafpcg said:

I've logged into the VM site (once, normally use ybonline) with firefox, and it seemed to working fine. Obviously didn't try every possible action.

Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century

• DescrabledDescrabled Forumite
    108 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts
    Yorkshire/Virgin

I have had problems logging in on Firefox. Deeply worried about using this account.
    May have to move my standing orders to HSBC where I have a large arranged overdraft so can run account with zero balance.
    Such a pitty after years of quirky but contented use of Yorkshire Penny Bank.
  • ObeorthObeorth Forumite
    465 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Yorkshire/Virgin

I have had problems logging in on Firefox. Deeply worried about using this account.
    May have to move my standing orders to HSBC where I have a large arranged overdraft so can run account with zero balance.
    Such a pitty after years of quirky but contented use of Yorkshire Penny Bank.
    Just used Firefox on both Clydesdale and Virgin branded site - other than the Virgin one running slower, no problems.
    If you have a Windows device, Microsoft Edge now uses Chromium tech so will likely work anyway.
  • edited 29 October at 11:24AM
    RG2015RG2015 Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 29 October at 11:24AM
    Virgin Money are now offering a £150 wine voucher if you switch a bank current account into an existing Virgin Money current account. There do not appear to be any direct debit, standing order or minimum pay in requirements.

PS. I cannot see the offer online so as I received the offer by email it may only be for existing customers.
  • edited 29 October at 11:29AM
    Brewer21Brewer21 Forumite
    86 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 29 October at 11:29AM
    RG2015 said:
    Virgin Money are now offering a £150 wine voucher if you switch a bank current account into an existing Virgin Money current account. There do not appear to be any direct debit, standing order or minimum pay in requirements.

PS. I cannot see the offer online so as I received the offer by email it may only be for existing customers.
    The T&C's say different unless I've been reading the wrong ones.
    Had an email tempting me to switch in to an existing account that I'd not taken up the offer on. As I read it I won't get another offer as I benefitted from a free case of wine last year with account No1.
    Unless of course someone can convince me I can switch in an account and get some more wine.
  • ObeorthObeorth Forumite
    465 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    I'd think about it for £150 Virgin Money cash (they do print their own Sterling banknotes after all) - not some overpriced wine or experience vouchers.