Reclaiming Bank Account Charges

Looking for some advice, I have tried reclaiming the fees that I pay for my NatWest Platinum bank account, I’ve had the account for over 10years, however when the account was opened approx a year before and it was opened by my cousin, who added me to the account. I was never informed that there other options and that I needn’t have this account. I have had a response from NatWest stating that they will not be paying out as it was my cousin that originally opened it and therefore the case was closed, I have 2 options to take it to the financial ombudsman or request that my cousin apply for the charges. 
Does anyone have any advice or experience of any of this as I’m unsure of what to do, if she applies will it mean she will get the cash for the time she was on the account or the full duration of the account being open? Or would I have a case for going to the Ombudsman, the fees are extortionate and I’ve never once claimed on any of the benefits ie damaged
mobile/travel insurance.

Replies

• StenwoldStenwold Forumite
    179 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    If the fees are extortionate, why have you had the account for over 10 years? Not knowing there were other options available just doesn't fly.

• Dinkyd08Dinkyd08 Forumite
    17 Posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    I didn’t really think about it, 
    I was after advice but thank you 
  • FarfetchFarfetch Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    This doesn't really make any sense - you can't be "added" to an account and be paying the fee, do you mean it was a joint account where you both paid a fee? Did she open the account and then leave?

Also, you don't "apply" for money, nor do the bank simply pay you money, you complain, providing details of miss-selling reasons (all that matters is point of sale 10 years ago, what you do now is irrelevant).

Regardless, they are correct, she was the one who took the account out, so she must complain as she was the one who would allege miss-selling. Are you sure she was unhappy with it at point of sale as that is what you are alleging? 

Further, opened 10 years ago and given the industry that has formed over packaged account complaints, with banks taking action to cover themselves, you'll probably find it's barred under the 6 year rule (6 years from taking it out) and the 3 year rule (3 years from knowing, or when you could reasonably have known, you had cause for complaint) which can be triggered by annual benefits statements advising you of free/cheaper alternatives, so I wouldn't hold my breath on you getting anything from this 

He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.

-Harold Wilson

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I was never informed that there other options and that I needn’t have this account.
    Natwest have also been issuing annual benefit statements for many years which tell you that there are other accounts available.
    I have had a response from NatWest stating that they will not be paying out as it was my cousin that originally opened it and therefore the case was closed, I have 2 options to take it to the financial ombudsman or request that my cousin apply for the charges. 
    As it was your cousin that opened it, then you cannot complain about the account opening suitability as you were not a party to it.

if she applies will it mean she will get the cash for the time she was on the account or the full duration of the account being open?
    That is jumping the gun.  It is likely she would either be timebarred for not raising a complaint with the 3 and 6 year rule.
    However, lets say they do uphold the complaint, it would go to her and for the duration only when she held the account.
    Most PBA complaints are rejected anyway now.  
     Or would I have a case for going to the Ombudsman,
    You have no case as you were not party to the decision made at the time it was opened.
    the fees are extortionate and I’ve never once claimed on any of the benefits ie damaged

The fees are not extortionate.  PBAs are actually good value for money in respect of the benefits they offer if you were to buy them elsewhere.    And never suffering a claimable event is not grounds for complaint.  I have life assurance but I am pleased a claim has never needed to be made.  It doesn't mean I can get the money paid back.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Dinkyd08Dinkyd08 Forumite
    17 Posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts
    I obviously didn’t make myself clear, I was asking for advice not an assassination of my obvious credulous character. 
    Yes I’ve had statements where I’ve noticed the fee, but put it down to her signing up for it. 
    I’m not very confident with finances and have been quite gullible in the past, with PPI, I was advised on more than one occasion as a young girl that to have the loan, I had to have the insurance as well. 
    Thank you for your help 
  • FarfetchFarfetch Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dinkyd08 said:
    I obviously didn’t make myself clear, I was asking for advice not an assassination of my obvious credulous character. 
    Yes I’ve had statements where I’ve noticed the fee, but put it down to her signing up for it. 
    I’m not very confident with finances and have been quite gullible in the past, with PPI, I was advised on more than one occasion as a young girl that to have the loan, I had to have the insurance as well. 
    Thank you for your help 
    The 2 posts above are simply factual statements, even if they aren't an easy read given you feel there was miss-selling going on. 
    PPI often was needed to get a loan, it's only miss-selling if they lied and said it was when it wasn't.

Regardless, your cousin opened the account, she will need to be the one to complain as she was the one who was "sold" it and remember she might have wanted the account, but lumping you with charges seems rather unfortunate. At the very least you could switch the account to a free one, even take advantage of the switch bonuses on offer for some free cash

He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.

-Harold Wilson

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You made yourself clear.   You got the advice.  You may not like it because it means you aren't getting any money but the posts are correct.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.