Ryanair Rip-Off?

PGrahamPGraham Forumite
3 Posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Due to date for second vaccination, decided to delay departure.  We had flights booked for June under the advertised terms NO CHARGES FOR CHANGES, except for difference in flight cost.  New flights for July advertised as available at £68.99 each on Ryanair site but ,when changing booking, charged at £89.84 plus £20 extra for same hold bag.  In total, £90 extra for flight change.  It's Ryanair, why should I be surprised?

Replies

• Mickey666Mickey666 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    PGraham said:
    Due to date for second vaccination, decided to delay departure.  We had flights booked for June under the advertised terms NO CHARGES FOR CHANGES, except for difference in flight cost.  New flights for July advertised as available at £68.99 each on Ryanair site but ,when changing booking, charged at £89.84 plus £20 extra for same hold bag.  In total, £90 extra for flight change.  It's Ryanair, why should I be surprised?

I love the idea that a business that will transport someone right across Europe for less than £100 is a 'rip off'.  :D

You've said it yourself above - YOU decided to delay your departure and clearly the flight cost has changed!  Plus, everyone knows that the pricing model for these low costs airlines means that seat prices can change depending on initial demand, how long they take to sell and time remaining before booking cut-off for the flight.  These sorts of things go with the territory if you want to fly around Europe for £50 or so.   It's hardly a "rip-off".

If you want more predictable prices then choose to fly a scheduled service on a fully flexible ticket.
  • redmalcredmalc Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I learnt the hard way last year when I got screwed over by Ryanair, pay your money and expect a seat and they will get you from A to B but expect nothing else. I will never utilise them again after using them numerous times for the years gone by , I have booked numerous flights and holidays with Jet 2 and had to cancel three times already since March and they have been brilliant, Goodbye O Leary .

• Mickey666Mickey666 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Emotive language.
    You didn't get "screwed over" by RyanAir, you chose to travel with a rock-bottom cheap airline that is famous for getting you from A to B and nothing else.  You must have had your reasons but having had such a bad experience you've done exactly the right thing and decided to never fly with them again.

I'm no apologist for Ryanair, which is about the worst airline I've ever travelled with, and I also avoid them whenever possible.  But their customers don't "get screwed" and they don't get ripped off - they get a cheap flight for a cheap price.  I just find it hilarious how an apparently despised company can be so successful LOL.
  • redmalcredmalc Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Mickey 666 many thanks for trying to comment on my issues with Ryanair, I had three cancelled flights for all of my family and had to get my local MP involved to assist with trying to get my refund and he took the case for discussion to the Houses of Parliament.I waited for months and in the end I was advised  to commence proceedings to issue a summons through the courts in Ireland and then the refund was paid 

• JounrichJounrich Forumite
    7 Posts
    First Anniversary First Post
    I recently attempted to change my Ryanair flight under their NO CHARGES FOR CHANGES pledge. The new flight cost was exactly the same as what I had originally paid but when I went to checkout they wanted an additional £16 baggage fee.
    WHY?
    The flight was available as was the baggage option, both at the same price as I had previously purchased. I know this as I also wanted to purchase an additional flight for my husband and was using dual systems to complete my purchases.
    My conclusion has been that Ryanair is actually making a change fee but dressing it up as a baggage surcharge. This surely isn’t best practice and I am disappointed as unlike a lot of people I like Ryanair.  It has an amazing choice of routes and it is incredible value for money which gives me the freedom to visit family overseas on a regular basis (pre Covid!). I do not like to feel ripped off however and this is most definitely a ripoff!
  • UpsidedownandaroundUpsidedownandaround Forumite
    300 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Jounrich said:
    I recently attempted to change my Ryanair flight under their NO see CHARGES FOR CHANGES pledge. The new flight cost was exactly the same as what I had originally paid but when I went to checkout they wanted an additional £16 baggage fee.
    WHY?
    The flight was available as was the baggage option, both at the same price as I had previously purchased. I know this as I also wanted to purchase an additional flight for my husband and was using dual systems to complete my purchases.
    My conclusion has been that Ryanair is actually making a change fee but dressing it up as a baggage surcharge. This surely isn’t best practice and I am disappointed as unlike a lot of people I like Ryanair.  It has an amazing choice of routes and it is incredible value for money which gives me the freedom to visit family overseas on a regular basis (pre Covid!). I do not like to feel ripped off however and this is most definitely a ripoff!
    Your conclusion is not accurate. Baggage has always been non-refundable on Ryanair and always lost when changing flights.
    Therefore if they weren’t waiving your change fee you would be paying that in addition to a new baggage fee.
    The offer is quite clearly stated as relating “flight change fees” and makes no reference to them altering their usual baggage policy so can’t see how it can be considered as a rip off. The offer is simply not as generous as you are hoping for it to be.

7 Posts
    Jounrich said:
    I recently attempted to change my Ryanair flight under their NO see CHARGES FOR CHANGES pledge. The new flight cost was exactly the same as what I had originally paid but when I went to checkout they wanted an additional £16 baggage fee.
    WHY?
    Your conclusion is not accurate. Baggage has always been non-refundable on Ryanair and always lost when changing flights.
    Therefore if they weren’t waiving your change fee you would be paying that in addition to a new baggage fee.
    The offer is quite clearly stated as relating “flight change fees” and makes no reference to them altering their usual baggage policy so can’t see how it can be considered as a rip off. The offer is simply not as generous as you are hoping for it to be.

I am sorry but I don’t agree.  If your conclusion is correct then the baggage charge would be more than that I was being charged.  Baggage is a ‘product’ for which a price difference may apply.  There was no difference in the baggage charge price for the choice I was making. Also, there was no additional fee for the seat I had originally paid for.  So I can only conclude that the charge being requested is a change fee in disguise.
    Ryanair states on its site “ Our Zero Change Fee promo is applicable for bookings made after 10 June 2020. Flight changes must take place at least 7 days before the original scheduled departure dates to avail of promo. Fare and product price difference may  apply.” 
    300 Posts
    ✭✭
    As said according to their terms baggage is non-refundable. Their new flight waiver condition makes no reference to this having changed therefore you have to pay again for baggage.

“If your conclusion is correct then the baggage charge would be more than that I was being charged”.

This sounds less and less like a rip off with every post.

7 Posts

Upsidedownandaround. This is what it says on the web page when I attempted to change. 

Also, at the same time for the same flights this is what comes up when you search in private mode.  Like I said ‘Rip Off’

300 Posts
    ✭✭
    That doesn’t correspond to the online prices at the moment. Also Ryanair’s own table of fees says their minimum price for baggage is £8/8€. That works out as £16. 
    Personally I don't see how charging that is a rip off. 
    Good luck though.