Sugar daddies and bankruptcy......

BrownTroutBrownTrout Forumite
2.1K Posts
1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭
Hello i wonder if people can give me some help! (ive offered to post this on behalf of someone who didn't want to start a new post and be seen as some kind of troll) as it might seem a bit weird
A friend was made bankrupt end of May by a firm whom he owed a lot of money to, also had other debts to
Telephone interview is booked for them next week
They don't work, they don't have any savings or such like
Quite simply he lives with a much older guy  (and very well off) (he is 25, they are 48) who shall we say have an arrangement and any money he wants he just gets given 
As a result he doesn't claim any benefits etc
How on earth does someone explain this to the OR?, any thoughts appreciated 

Replies

• luvchocolateluvchocolate Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just tell the truth...say it as it is. 
  • gwynlasgwynlas Forumite
    794 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    He just needs to say that he is in a live in relationship where he is provided for in the same way as any other couple.If he does not work or claim benefits then he doesn#t have any source of income.
  • BrownTroutBrownTrout Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fair enough, maybe he wasnt making it more complicated then it was
  • BrownTroutBrownTrout Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    What is position towards cash gifts? in relation to the OR ?
  • sourcratessourcrates Forumite, Board Guide
    23.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is position towards cash gifts? in relation to the OR ?
    I wouldn`t call them cash gifts, living allowance is a more appropriate term.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File and Ratings, Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to:
    [email protected].
    Any views expressed are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    "I don`t trust Bankers, I don`t trust Banks, and I don`t trust you.........Private Frazer".
    For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, CitizensAdviceBureaux.
  • CKhalvashiCKhalvashi Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see how he has any income in this situation that can be claimed by the OR, as someone in effect is paying his living expenses and their income isn't subject to the bankruptcy order.

I can't see there being a salary, benefits or trading profits here at face value, he is effectively a househusband.
    "I kada sanjamo san, nek bude hiljadu raznih boja" (L. Stamenkovic)

Please note: All posts on Coronavirus legislation refer to England unless specified otherwise.

I can spell, my iPad can't.
  • edited 17 June at 4:48PM
    TheGardenerTheGardener Forumite
    3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 17 June at 4:48PM
    I would agree that the friend has no income and is supported by his partner therefore there is no income to declare. The older partner is under no obligation to give details of their income or assets (but that doesn't mean the OR won't try...)
    BR aside - has your friend considered that by not working or claiming benefits - the loss of national insurance credits will leave gaps in his state pension provision? It might not be a priority now as he's a young man but...
  • Barny1979Barny1979 Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't he have got his BF to pay his debts rather than go bankrupt
    AFDs 2013-313, 2014-289, 2015-321, 2016-276, 2017-276, 2018-240, 2019-285, 2020-267, 2021-160 to end of June
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £1809/£1809, 2020 - £1833.53/£1750, 2021 - £2331.98/£1750
  • TheGardenerTheGardener Forumite
    3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Barny1979 said:
    Couldn't he have got his BF to pay his debts rather than go bankrupt
    ...but then he'd still be in debt?

• newsgroupmonkey_newsgroupmonkey_ Forumite
    228 Posts
    100 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    IIRC, being married is no different but if you live with someone and they have lots of money (or income) then you can't claim benefits. Drove my partner up the wall, because she's always insisted that we're financially separate.

Agree with the NI Stamp though. Definitely worth paying.