edited 3 January 2020 at 6:26PM in Old Style MoneySaving
319 replies 86.4K views
1262728293032»

Replies

• PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Sixth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Oh Siebrie ... I tackled the garage at the weekend, it had got in a real mess in there, and I found the rats have eaten part of my tent. I’m very cross because if I had packed it up properly it wouldn’t have happened, I can patch it but it’s quite an expensive tent! I don’t know why they seem to like plastic so much.

I might come and join you on the “Declutter mind to Declutter house” thread. I’m so sorry to hear about things with you and your husband, although it sounds as if you’re very clear on what you want to do.

I managed to get the house tidy for estate agents photos, and now I have some viewings so I’m back on to it with a vengeance. Some of the things I am putting in the car to get out of the way, pet bedding (apparently its best if you make the house look as if no animals live there) and bowls, spare coats and shoes. Despite doing Marie Kondo I still don’t seem to have homes for everything, but as you say Igamogam, my attitude has changed. 
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Green_hopefulGreen_hopeful Forumite
    207 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Our efforts have stalled. Like lots of others life has conspired against us. However I had another go at the junk drawer in the kitchen. Thinned a few things and at least made it tidy. Plus some old bank statements chucked to make space for the instruction booklets from the junk drawer. Little wins in this stressful time. I also kondoed the side of my thumb on the cheese grater which is less successful.  :)
  • PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.7K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, the mushroom punnets!  I ended up using iPhone boxes for some things (that sounds as if I had loads ... well over the years, my habit of never throwing anything out had acquired quite a few!) - dividers or containers are definitely the way to go though, and keep them relatively small if it's a general 'toot' drawer - I have one for batteries, one for post-its, pens etc, I still seem to have a lot of loose ones rolling around but the idea is there. 

I hope your thumb recovers (did the cheese turn red?)
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • Green_hopefulGreen_hopeful Forumite
    207 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Oh yes, the mushroom punnets!  I ended up using iPhone boxes for some things (that sounds as if I had loads ... well over the years, my habit of never throwing anything out had acquired quite a few!) - dividers or containers are definitely the way to go though, and keep them relatively small if it's a general 'toot' drawer - I have one for batteries, one for post-its, pens etc, I still seem to have a lot of loose ones rolling around but the idea is there. 

I hope your thumb recovers (did the cheese turn red?)
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I use rectangular cotton bud boxes which are a good size and a couple of ice cream tubs. Thumb still sore. I saved the cheese, but it did bleed more than I expected. It’s a menopause thing that cuts to ages to heal. Completely off point but I didn’t realise all the things your hormones do for you. 
  • SiebrieSiebrie Forumite
    2.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, I spent last weekend packing for husband's trip to his homecountry, and have filled 2 barrels with stuff we nog longer need, mainly clothes. 1 Barrel used to contain 120kg (drained weight) of olives, the other 100 kg of same. DD2 (10) has been a trooper! She fit about 400 items of clothing over the weekend (although some were clearly the wrong size and were not tried on); all items were received from colleagues, friends, neighbours and had stored in the attic for future use. She picked out about 70 items to keep, which we/I will wittle down in the next few days. About 50 items were still too large, and are back in the attic.
    Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 244,60 = £ 209.90
    Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.84
    2019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59