Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Easyjet refund

edited 4 May at 6:24PM in Coronavirus Travel Help & Info
3 replies 131 views
Mobious64Mobious64 Forumite
1 Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi ...can any one give me some advice plz
Last year we could not fly with easyjet due to the pandemic so because I knew I would be going away this year and  I opted for the vouchers. We booked our flights last week using the vouchers plus paid for an extra person as well and then Easyjet cancelled our flight which was booked for a Saturday and said we could move it to either the Friday or Sunday which is no good for us or request a voucher again or refund .I opted for a refund this time and I got an email today to say that because we used the voucher we can only be refunded with a voucher . I would like a money refund because they have cancelled our flight not us and we have had to book with another airline to fly on the Saturday.  So can they they do this and also I paid for a third person who was not covered on the voucher so surly they should refund that anyway ...sorry if this is a bit confusing ...I would be grateful for any advice ...thank you x

Replies

• Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Refund to the form of payment is normal....if you paid by voucher plus cash and the flight was cancelled you should receive the refund in voucher for the voucher element and cash for the cash element
    If your original flight last year was cancelled you would have had the option for a cash refund at that point but once you chose a voucher you are stuck with a voucher and these cannot be exchanged for cash
  • edited 4 May at 6:42PM
    eskbankereskbanker Forumite
    18.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 May at 6:42PM
    I believe that when an airline cancels flights, they're obliged to offer a cash refund unless the passenger agrees to vouchers, as discussed at https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/78041906/#Comment_78041906

Reimbursement to the original method of payment is undoubtedly the norm, but I don't believe that this practice overrides the customer's rights under the UK's version of the EC 261/2004 EU flight regulations, so remain convinced that a customer should be able to insist on a cash refund in this situation, despite paying for the cancelled flight with vouchers. However, as observed previously, it's one thing to be legally entitled to something and another to actually get it....
  • Rosco62Rosco62 Forumite
    61 Posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic
    Mobious64 said:
    Hi ...can any one give me some advice plz
    Last year we could not fly with easyjet due to the pandemic so because I knew I would be going away this year and  I opted for the vouchers. We booked our flights last week using the vouchers plus paid for an extra person as well and then Easyjet cancelled our flight which was booked for a Saturday and said we could move it to either the Friday or Sunday which is no good for us or request a voucher again or refund .I opted for a refund this time and I got an email today to say that because we used the voucher we can only be refunded with a voucher . I would like a money refund because they have cancelled our flight not us and we have had to book with another airline to fly on the Saturday.  So can they they do this and also I paid for a third person who was not covered on the voucher so surly they should refund that anyway ...sorry if this is a bit confusing ...I would be grateful for any advice ...thank you x
    You should have taken the cash last year