Bookworms 2020

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
514 replies 41.6K views

Replies

• ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finished Eat a Peach over the weekend (don't think I've ever loved and hated a person so much at the same time) and have subsequently also finished A Court of Silver Flames by Sarah J Maas - quite a bit more explicit compared to the others in the series (definitely not a YA book this time around...) but enjoyed seeing the story from some different character's perspective.  Also found it quite sympathetic in how it dealt with some mental health issues in a fantasy novel.

Now on to The Clockmakers Daughter by Kate Morton, this month's book club choice.
    Emergency Fund - £4695.03 / £5,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £3037.51
    LISA 2021 - £662 :: NSD July - 3 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 38.2 / 58lbs :: Decluttering - 400 / 2001 ⭐⭐⭐🏅🏅
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • maisiekmaisiek Forumite
    15 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Just about to start Into the Tangled Bank by Lev Parikian.
  • maisiekmaisiek Forumite
    15 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    In the end I switched books and started The Glass House by Eve Chase. I ended up awake until 3am and finished the whole thing!
  • Wednesday2000Wednesday2000 Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭

I am about to start The Guest List - Lucy Foley.

On an island off the windswept Irish coast, guests gather for the wedding of the year – the marriage of Jules Keegan and Will Slater. Old friends. Past grudges. Happy families. Hidden jealousies. Thirteen guests. One body.
     The wedding cake has barely been cut when one of the guests is found dead. And as a storm unleashes its fury on the island, everyone is trapped.

I really enjoyed that book! I started her other book The Hunting Party but that hasn't grabbed me as much so far.
  • edited 10 April at 11:58PM
    gettingtheresometimegettingtheresometime Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 10 April at 11:58PM
     Probably very late to the party, but I finished the audiobook version of ' The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak. 

Loved the story from beginning to end but as with all audiobooks, the narrator is crucial & this one was excellent, slowly making you invested in all the characters.

The libraries finally opened this week so I'm back on physical books ....starting with Haven't they grown by Sophie Hannah, a Richard & Judy pick.

Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared :) thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't think I've found someone who didn't like The Book Thief @gettingtheresometime

Finished The Clockmaker's Daughter by Kate Morton and well...I really didn't like it.  It was too long, with multiple interlinking storylines that didn't really add anything to the plot and the initial story line was left unanswered in a way - I just felt that it needed more closure.  Feel like I wasted time reading it as it was quite a hard slog at almost 600 pages.  This was the first Kate Morton book I've read and even though I've read reviews from die hard fans saying this is nothing like her other works, it makes me reluctant to read anything else by her.

By contrast I started The Red Queen by Philippa Gregory last night and I'm already 25% of the way through and enjoying it.
    LISA 2021 - £662 :: NSD July - 3 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 38.2 / 58lbs :: Decluttering - 400 / 2001 ⭐⭐⭐🏅🏅
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • Hobsons_ChoiceHobsons_Choice Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Ruby: Don't give up on Kate Morton if this is the only book of hers that you've read, definitely not her best (a bit Marmite if I'm honest) I read it, but it's not exactly a page turner is it? Try The Lake House, that's really good. I've read all of Phillipa Gregory books and enjoyed every one!
    Normal people worry me.
    3.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Hobsons_Choice I'll add that to my reservation list from the library.

Finished The Red Queen last night and really enjoyed it.  Was going to read The Kingmakers Daughter next but DH redecorated our spare room yesterday and had to move all the books off the shelves so now I can't find it in the pile 😂  Decided to pick up one of my library books instead so on to The Children's Book by A. S. Byatt which is another one on the 1001 books to read before you die list.  Only problem is that it's almost 600 pages long and has a really tiny font!  Read the first chapter and it seems to be ok so far.
  • Wednesday2000Wednesday2000 Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Hunting Party did get better.

I read a book by Nina Manning - The Guilty Wife. I enjoyed it and it had a good twist. I have bought another of her books called The Daughter in Law.

I also read a book called Chatter by a scientist Ethan Kross. It was about changing your negative self talk and it had some good tips.

• tijojoe66tijojoe66 Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Just finished "Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life"
    Book by Francesc Miralles and Hector Garcia