Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Unhelpful GP's Practice Manager

Hi knowledgeable people.

I know it's a long post, but this is something sensitive so bear with me please. 

I've been suffering from a difficult mental health condition as a result of sexual harassment at my work place. 

I had to make an Employment Tribunal claim as a result.

I've been on sick leave for a long period of time due to the state of my mental health. I am under treatment with my GP and the Psychological Department of a hospital near to my GP practice.

The issue is I moved to a different catchment area. It's not far away from my GP's practice (Just 5.5 miles away or 25 min away by car) but definitely out of their catchment area 

If I change to another GP now this will be absolutely disruptive as I need to provide medical evidence to the Tribunal soon.

I have read a British Medical Association's webpage under the title "Out-of-area registration and patient choice" (sorry I can't post links for now).

But I am sure that if I share this information with the Practice Manager, she will make my life a hell as soon as she knows I moved out of the catchment area and won't want to grant me continued registration (Unfortunately she's the perfect representation of Trunchbull -the harsh teacher of the film "Matilda"-).

However, my GP is quite a nice and helpful lady.

Is there anything I could say to her or a form/document to sign to convince her and the Practice Manager? I don't mind if I don't get home visits nor urgent treatment provided directedly by my GP (I have gone straightway to the A&E Department of the hospital and have gotten urgent treatment without issues)

My stress is over the roof now, I am a bit desperate. 

I need to get the most opinions possible to see what my options are in regards to be able to remain registered with my current GP, so I will be forever grateful for advice in this regard, 

Thank you!

Replies

• suejb2suejb2 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • Indigo_and_VioletIndigo_and_Violet Forumite
    130 Posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper
    Do you need to tell them you've moved right now? If you set up a Royal Mail redirect you can get post from your old address forwarded to you. I have no idea whether or not it's allowed, but it's something I've definitely done accidentally in the past. 
  • mich_52mich_52 Forumite
    5 Posts
    Name Dropper First Post
    Any advice please?
  • k3lvck3lvc Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    mich_52 said:
    Any advice please?
    @Indigo_and_Violet's suggestion seems pretty sensible to me given you're looking for them to be on your side. If you get into a battle with them re process/rights then any goodwill/speed of response is likely to go out of the window irrespective of the rights/wrongs of the situation

5 Posts
    Name Dropper First Post
    suejb2 said:

Have you read this?
    No, I have not, thank you Suejb2
    5 Posts
    Name Dropper First Post
    mich_52 said:
    Any advice please?
    Ignore this comment please (I did no see previous answers)
    5 Posts
    Name Dropper First Post
    k3lvc said:
    mich_52 said:
    Any advice please?
    @Indigo_and_Violet's suggestion seems pretty sensible to me given you're looking for them to be on your side. If you get into a battle with them re process/rights then any goodwill/speed of response is likely to go out of the window irrespective of the rights/wrongs of the situation

Hi k3lvc,
    I can't read between the lines in this moment sorry, my mental health is not helping at all.
    What did you mean with your comment? Is it or not a good idea to tell them I have moved?
  • edited 10 April at 7:50AM
    EmmiaEmmia Forumite
    1K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 10 April at 7:50AM
    Don't tell them, and pay to have your post redirected until your case is over.

Make sure the only phone number they have is your mobile, not a landline unless you're transferring that number. 

Register with a more local GP once this is over... although there is no guarantee there won't be another "Miss Trunchbull" practice manager / evil receptionist.